The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Just wondering....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:35 pm 

Hello...
Back in Dec. of 09, I came across this post in the Garden Web (Growing from Seed Forum): "Re: 'Simpliest' /Cheapest way to start seeds indoors?"(Thurs. Dec. 3, 09 @ 11:47) Any thoughts about the advice given?

Post subject: Re: Just wondering....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:27 pm 

..... I'll begin with a few basic questions...
> Was not the original post about indoor seed starting information?
> How is this forum defined?
> How old is this forum? This is pathetic in my opinion...and a waste of past
and present experienced growers who have taken the time to participate in this
forum over the course of several years...
> Is this housewife tenured as an expert staff person for this forum?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:36 pm 

...you know the price of seeds and hardgoods add up... I'd like to propose an alternative to the GW's Growing from Seed Forum's FAQs. Let's get some current guidelines written and signed off by experts in the field: i.e. seed companies, contributors from AHS,RHS,BBG,trade journal writers,ect... with the home seed starter in mind. If there are any technical variations to the information provided , that can be discussed as additional posts....Does that sound reasionable??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:18 am 
Administrator

pickwick,

To make a long story short---------NO!!!!!!!!!
Just what is your agenda and why the huge gaps in time between posts.
This is a sharing of information site. The good the bad and the ugly.
So far it has worked just fine. If I or anyone else posts some infomation that is absolutely wrong or if there are other points of view and experiences the members will straighten it out in short order.
Your posts indicate a lack of knowledge and unorgagnized thought. Did you forget your pills this morning?
Make your day great,
AZED

BTW--We are also very friendly and accepting of the folks. :D ----Usually :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:18 am 

Well said AZED. I am an experimental gardener with as many failures as successes, but I really enjoy the ideas that are posted here. Many times I'll read what someone is doing and decide to try it or a variation of it.

I appreciate that the forum is a wide-open discussion area and that "expert" is a state of mind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:22 am 

Beautifully said, AZED!!! :wink:

mikestuff wrote:
I appreciate that the forum is a wide-open discussion area and that "expert" is a state of mind.

And, a "state" that is usually held in the mind of the "expert"!!!! :wink: :wink:

Pickwick, I have one question to ask you. If you have such faith in the "all knowing" abilities of "experts," what are you doing in a forum to begin with??? It would seem to me that given your faith in the "all knowing" abilities of "experts," you would do well to seek them out!! And, Garden Web is FULL of... experts (hint, hint, hint)!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:38 pm 

Apparently this is a misread ... As stated above - that forum has had past and present experiienced growers who have made good contributions there.... That said, these threads are seldom if ever retained . All I see is a suckering newcomers (in this case ,someone who specifically asked about starting seeds indoors) into winter sowing whereby if you have monitered that forum, it is considered cheating if you bring seedlings indoors.... I don't know where to start... "No Evil Damping -Off "is a false statement ...and since she is affilliated with university sites, I request a plant pathologist to back this claim .
Futhermore ,I would advise and caution anyone using this " we are a friendly place statement as there are those that simply take advatage off this. It is somewhat of a myth on cyberspace anyways... (i.e.: what happened to a poster named "Vera"?) I am not concerned with the indignation of a housewife from Long Island and how she deals with it! I did not sign on to her Froupe Map's Shout Out Section where she stated :" I am your one true leader, follow me." and more than once! She can jolly well carry on her program over there .As Stated"There is a seperate Growing from Seed Forum"which has been corrupted and hampered by winter sowers.. I winter sow some plants selectively and cautiouslly>It is not new!
Part of my agenda is that I'm a fighter. I grew up in this trade ~ 40 years ago back when soil- based media was the norm.I do not consider myself an expert . I don't appreciate turning Horticulture. into an Opera Show...

If I am kicked off this site, ,look for Pickwick's Grower Blog somewhere in blogosphere. There are some books and grower links I 'd like to comment on anyway... such as a very favorable review of an old Time Life Book written by J..Crockett: entitlled :Greenhouse and Greenhouse Structures....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:19 pm 
Administrator

pickwick,
I am still not certain you even know what site you are on!!!
Do you know this is The Garden Forums and not the Garden Web.
If you do have 40 years experience why are you wasting your time complaining instead of
contributing.
Your verbage still does not seem to be from the mile high state or any other state for that matter. Is that stout I smell on your breath?
Good luck growing your expensive seeds,
AZED

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:13 pm 

I really don't think that one... two... or even a few forgotten doses of meds... or even alkiehol would cause this level of babbling and rambling. It sounds more like someone who is possessed!!! And, the entity sounds like one ignorant demon!!!

Pickwick, why don't you take your demon and go haunt some other forum? We've got some good folks and lots of good karma around here!! Trust me... it's no place for spooks!!!!

Bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:44 pm 
Administrator

Bee,
Now, Now--would u like to be treated that way if you were a lunatic? :wink:
Pickwick---be gone,
AZED

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:04 am 

AZED, you are so right!!! I am so ashamed and embarrassed!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Pickwick, please accept my sincerest apologies and forgive me as you...................

........HIT THE ROAD JACK...

........AND, DON'T YA COME BACK NO MORE, NO MORE, NO MORE, NO MORE!!!!!! :twisted:

Your friend ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yeah, right :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ),

Bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:52 am 
Administrator

Bee,

I think the point has been made.
AZED

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:05 am 

Thanks, AZED! I was afraid I might have been too subtle!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:48 pm 

wonderful dialogue folks... Sorry to say,the FAQs of the Growing from Seed Forum does not represent the input from good contributors there. I have absolutely no loyalties for this housewife. I think it would be wise for me to post elsewhere instead of having to deal with this stupidity...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:30 pm 
Administrator

Pickwick

Here are a couple boards you might find helpful. They will listen to you.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foru ... y.php?f=31
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foru ... .php?f=136

Don't let the door slam into your butt on the way out.

Your friend,
AZED

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:54 pm 

arizonaed wrote:
Pickwick

Here are a couple boards you might find helpful. They will listen to you.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foru ... y.php?f=31
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foru ... .php?f=136

Don't let the door slam into your butt on the way out.

Your friend,
AZED

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:18 pm 

Hi "Gentalmen"! We must and should check out the site and the posts on that site before we just discount a what do you think question!?. It would appear that PICKWICK is under some illusion that a poster over there is some kind of expert on something. So after all the bantering around I figured perhaps a look see was in order. Lots of the people here came from that site when this site was made available by OUR FRIEND DAN. From what I can tell Pickwick came along too. That in its self showes some sensibility. Apparently he revisited the site and came across the thread and that led him to the FAQ section and mind you some have suggested a FAQ section here. After reading the faqs there I find that perhaps he fears one will start here and the same result will happen here as happened over there where only a very limited few will answer the FAQs. Now I could be wrong but time will tell. Well he may not be cracked up as he appears to be. So lets not get too hasty in requesting folks to leave. You may find yourself alone. The place seems to be one breath from death! My suggestion is to let a rant go once in a while, it invokes some to think. We all know some will answer and others just smile. It takes all types of personalities to keep a good site entertaining, shy,bold, quiet quick, happy and hopeful and most of all thoes not too shy to post the things they observe and what seems to be happening to their interest that brings entertainment and information for ponderance to the readers of the adventures.
I for one miss lots of folks that just seem to move on after a while never to be heard from again. I noticed it right after Breezy was ask to leave and not return. I think lots of folks took that as a que and decided not to participate any more for fear of offending someone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:39 pm 
Administrator

lkittle,
You have made some good points, Thank you.

I still smell something off kilter in this instance. Reviewing PWicks history a large gap of participation from 2007 to the next post, June 15, 2010. With this latest "observation" of some different forum and suggesting FAQ's from "experts" is unusually gappy too.

FAQ's would tend to slow posting activity. Though many subjects might be repeated it can be very helpful to anyone new to their particular area of interest. Keep in mind that even at the Phd. level one person's expert is at times another person's fool.

There are a multitude of sites with expert advice and even more that claim expert advice. Anything on the web needs to be verified. Anyone can put up a site and say anything and call it true.

Thanks for your thoughts,
AZED

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:01 pm 

Okie dokie... I can take a hint... I'll shut up!!!

But, before I do... I'd like to know why Breezy was asked to leave and not return.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:35 am 

Hi Gentlemen; I too feel that things are a bit askew however getting agrivated may not be the best responce to rooting out the needed info to understand what is really going on with pw. Only pw can express exactly what is his agenda and why he has taken this tact of opening it up to guess work at best to get at the truth.

To find the answer to the Breezy reference you need to look at some of her postings. Breezy was shall we say sometimes a little les than tactful in some of her responces to posted request for information and some of the responces and she would without forethough, post her responces sometimes they seemed a little harsh to the readers. One day Dan took exception to some thing she posted and ask her to leave and not come back. Breezy is still in the members pages and her post are saved so you can resurch her if you want.

History information. Kelly S. moved on early without controversy except being sorely missed. GR8 litterly moved from Ca to Tx and new job seems to keep him from posting anymore. G. Johnson(Gnosnhoj) was activated(Military) and has never been heard from here again, Both at breezy time. and before breezy Brian Klock moved on. More recently AD2 and CB2 are slowing way down in the responces as well as myself. Personally I feel that no one cares that the site is dieing slowly and new members are not signing up to keep the site lively. Also a pw observation.

link to Breezy last post and exit from site.viewtopic.php?f=33&t=19754&p=158776#p158776

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:31 am 

Larry,

Thank you for the link to breezy's last post. I had done a member search for her and the results said, "No members found for this search criterion." And, when I read her last post, I clicked on the "Profile" button in her post and it said, "The requested user does not exist."

Until I went back and re-read (read it a long time ago), I had forgotten just how brash she could be! To say the least, she could come across quite like a thumb that had been whacked a few times with a hammer!!! :shock: Again, I thank you for the link! :wink:

Prior to making my first comment, I did check out the Garden Web thread to which PW was referring. And, unlike one of his questions in the second post suggests, in keeping with typical internet forum/thread style the thread is dead on topic about starting seeds indoors!! I also went back and read several of PW's past posts... noting (like AZED) the swing in time between those posts and this one. But, more than that, I noted the coherence in PW's earlier posts and the lack of it in these!! The bulk of these posts by PW sounded more like the rantings of a sot drunk or someone who was "off his meds!" And, many times sounded like someone foreign to the US who was using poor translation software to render a post in English! All of it caused me to come to the conclusion that "something stinks in the state of Denmark!!!"

Furthermore... I, for one... find PW's alluding to the idea that it is only the word of an "expert" ("expert" as defined by PW) that is to be trusted and heeded quite offensive!!! For the purpose of gardening, give me the advice of a sage, successful gardener over a PHD or lab rat any day of the week... and, twice on Sunday!!! From my experience, their advice tends to be tempered not only with their own success... but, with megatons of common sense!!!

I realize that this forum is in a very, very fragile state. And, I know that the rantings of one who appears to be severely intoxicated... or, a nut... will do little more than close the casket lid on it!! I've already been there and seen that with another forum! And, that was my reasoning for offering PW the door!

I don't apologize for that! And, I shan't belabor this point any further!

But, I will say this... If we've become so politically correct in this forum that we willingly embrace and coddle those who display the kind of seemingly mad rantings that PW has displayed here... simply for the sake of fear that our membership participant numbers will dwindle further... then, maybe... just maybe... it is time that I too go the way of breezy and the others who have preceded me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:56 am 
Administrator

lkittle,
Thank you for the background information and link.

PW is certainly free to state his response. If he was officially asked to leave his posts would not show up on the board. He has done nothing to be 86ed. He can say much more in this forum than most of the others. Civility is requested but not manditory in the "opinion" areas.

Dan is a very easy going gent and that last post is probably not the direct cause of his action.
There is probably other reasons and this post, or perhaps the one that could have followed it and was cut by Dan, broke the camels back.

Enjoy,
AZED

OOps!
beebiz rang in as I was typing this------

Thank you for your research and opinions. Being what is now concidered PC is not our goal. Exchange of information is and 98% of the time it is done with respect. Perhaps not with agreement and that is a wonderful way to weed out good from not so good "POOP" :wink:

Happy Day,
AZED

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:43 am 

arizonaed wrote:
Being what is now concidered PC is not our goal. Exchange of information is and 98% of the time it is done with respect. Perhaps not with agreement and that is a wonderful way to weed out good from not so good "POOP" :wink:

Well said! And, it's a good thing that being PC (as currently defined) is not our goal. I definitely don't fit into those types of "molds" very well... at all!!! :wink: :mrgreen:

Bee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:04 pm 

Hi Gentalmen; Trust me when I say that I have all of this all figured out because I don't. I just have an opinion that all need some space to rant once in a while and that the readers should perhaps not try to make any sense from rants but rather try to find whats behind them. How can one post some good advise if he/she don't even know whats the question, and why is it important to the quizzer? Every once in a while I am like an old loaded black powder gun, I have the propensity to go off without my trigger being pulled. I read some stuff and I am puzzled and start to try to understand what is really going on. I really don't give a hoot about the "politically correct" things to do or not. Just the facts! mixed with perhaps some humor sometimes dry and sometimes not. The thing is variety is the spice of life and the rolly coaster is more fun than the farriswheel. Rolley coasters are for thrills and farriswheels are for site seeing. Sort of being in the GAME vs WATCHING THE GAME. I am really getting too old to participate in physical games so I watch. I have no idea what pw agenda was dosen't matter, need to let it go!

When pw wants us to know, he will say something.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:41 pm 
Administrator

lkittel,
Enjoy being you.
"need to let it go!"
Consider it done.
Have and good day,
AZED