The Garden Forums

<  Happy Hour  ~  Boy, 5, kills alligator 20 times his size

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:13 pm
User avatarJoined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:54 pmPosts: 1614Location: NSW Australia
News I read today http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/870774/boy-5-kills-alligator-20-times-his-size
:? This article does not sit right with me. Is this normal? Is this right? Am I normal? Is this appropriate. Are Alligators in plague proportions? Should a 4yo be taught to fire guns?...

... I'd love to hear your thoughts...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stutters/sets/

I'm not a TOTAL idiot.... parts of me are missing.
Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:50 pm
There isn't enough information in that article to fully answer all your questions. I know gators are a big problem in Florida. They eat the family dog, take swims in the pool and in one case that I know of went up to a house and knocked on the front door. I personally believe a 4 year old shouldn't be firing guns or taking on gators when they are 5. I find it terribly disturbing that this event is going to become a show and tell for him at school. That could cause another child to grab daddys gun and try to go gator hunting :shock: As far as I'm concerned his parents are iresponsible gun owners and horrible parents.

Foxy.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:21 pm
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:03 amPosts: 13Location: Southern California
I actually saw a special on TV (maybe MSNBC or something) talking about young children under the age of 10 learning how to shoot guns. The parents even have guns custom made for the children. When I hear about children and guns now, it reminds me of the story of the little boy who picked up a rifle and shot his dad and his dad's friend in their own home. I think that little boy was 8 years old.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:49 am
User avatarJoined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:54 pmPosts: 1614Location: NSW Australia
secretgarden wrote:
I actually saw a special on TV (maybe MSNBC or something) talking about young children under the age of 10 learning how to shoot guns. The parents even have guns custom made for the children. When I hear about children and guns now, it reminds me of the story of the little boy who picked up a rifle and shot his dad and his dad's friend in their own home. I think that little boy was 8 years old.

Ohh so sad... and totally avoidable.

I much prefer gardening and watching things grow with my kids. Much more to teach them, much more they can learn about life and our planet than learning how to fire killing machines ever would.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stutters/sets/

I'm not a TOTAL idiot.... parts of me are missing.
Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:27 pm
stutters wrote:
I much prefer gardening and watching things grow with my kids. Much more to teach them, much more they can learn about life and our planet than learning how to fire killing machines ever would.

Ditto! I wonder what they did with the rest of its body. If they're just killing for fun, that isn't right and I don't like to see kids that young using a gun. He won't have an appreciation of wildlife if he only hunts when he's out in the wilderness. I'd give him a camera instead.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:22 am
User avatarJoined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:43 amPosts: 1525Location: USDA Zone 7 Okla.
luv2grdn wrote:
stutters wrote:

Ditto! I wonder what they did with the rest of its body. If they're just killing for fun, that isn't right and I don't like to see kids that young using a gun. He won't have an appreciation of wildlife if he only hunts when he's out in the wilderness. I'd give him a camera instead.

I didn't look at the link. But it would be safe to say it's inappropriate. A weapon AND ammunition in a location a 4 year old has access to is wrong. Criminally wrong in my opinion.

I was firing high powered rifles at the age of 6. I owned my first firearm at the age of 10. But I spent many long hours of constant mentoring and careful instruction before that happened.

My brother feeds his family for the year with the meat they harvest during hunting season.

Having said all of that as I've gotten older the interest in firearms is at low ebb. I own them, but don't go out of my way to practice with or use them. In fact, I've only used them to help eradicate a ,major beaver problem I experienced a few years ago.

I much prefer using a camera like I did last weekend.

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=20881