The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:54 am 

I moved one of my Earthmachine composters to beside the other and put the basement squirm in there, then filled it with nearly finished thermalcompost. I'm looking to convert the compost to vermicompost/castings for a very rich organic fertilizer for next year. I'll likely harvest from here for this coming winters basement squirm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:46 am 

Is anyone out there?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:45 am 

I think this (forum) bin has gone sour and I don't think lime will help!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:26 pm 

We are trying to get some of our more active forum members to see new topics, and hopefully this can alleviate some of the less active forums response rates.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:10 pm 

It's sad....I'm remembering a time when the forum (especially the vermicomposting sub-forum) was so very active. Now, it seems to be very quiet across the many sub-forums. Maybe things will look up?...

Lucas wrote:
We are trying to get some of our more active forum members to see new topics, and hopefully this can alleviate some of the less active forums response rates.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:37 pm 

I'm looking to convert the compost to vermicompost/castings for a very rich organic fertilizer for next year.

I think it will work. A compost pile that has been through the heat cycle would still have wonderful biodegradable stuff to tempt earthworms! It'll "trash compact" it down to a much smaller pile, but it will be rich, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:24 am 

Absolutely....after all, finished thermal compost is true 'green manure' / black gold! (Just digested by bacteria/fungi instead of an animal.)

Now actually this was not the final experiment.... My other EarthMachine compost bin had all the spent messy rabbit pen bedding and kitchen waste accumulated from last fall. It was loaded with worms...especially around the spent watermellon. I emptied the bin and moved the contents to form the base of a new heap by the garden. Covered with grass clippings and leaves it has heated up and as fall proceeds, I will add more leaves/grass clippings to this heap. In previous years, this has allowed the heap to remain active well into winter resulting in some great spring compost. I might have otherwise spread and tilled this material in the garden, but I have already planted winter rye that will serve as a cover crop and provide great bio-mass when tilled under in the spring.

Priswell wrote:
I'm looking to convert the compost to vermicompost/castings for a very rich organic fertilizer for next year.

I think it will work. A compost pile that has been through the heat cycle would still have wonderful biodegradable stuff to tempt earthworms! It'll "trash compact" it down to a much smaller pile, but it will be rich, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:20 am 

Well I reclaimed my old outdoor bin from the thorny brambles. It's a 4x8 foot pit with a hardware cloth bottom. The frame is 2x10" lumber, but it's dug down about a foot or so. I moved the heap into the worm bin pit...sadly, I did not see any worms...but I did see mole (or vole) holes!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:24 am 

Abbeysdad wrote:
It's sad....I'm remembering a time when the forum (especially the vermicomposting sub-forum) was so very active. Now, it seems to be very quiet across the many sub-forums.

I was briefly active here a couple of years ago. I'd read many of your older posts, but you were no longer posting at the time I joined. A few "old-timers" chimed in, but even then this sub-forum was pretty quiet. I moved on to a more active board and only come here occasionally to check in.

My largest worm bins are similar to your EarthMachine. The floor, walls & lid are thick enough plastic that rodents can't get in for a worm buffet. Once established, these converted compost bins are large enough that you can simply dump & forget scraps. Downside is harvesting vermicompost can be a bit of a pain.

Material from rabbit pens/hutches are excellent! I don't own rabbits, but it's easy in my area to find someone on craigslist who wants to get rid of such material. I just wish they contained more rabbit droppings and less uneaten food pellets. A couple of large bags are good for supplemental bedding & food for several months.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:13 am 

Well don't poo poo uneaten rabbit food pellets too much as they tend to be alfalfa pellets which by themselves is a great worm food source and/or a great organic addition to any compost/soil. Alfalfa hay, meal, pellets are a great soil amendment although too expensive to use really (unless you have your own field).

plumiebear wrote:
Abbeysdad wrote:
It's sad....I'm remembering a time when the forum (especially the vermicomposting sub-forum) was so very active. Now, it seems to be very quiet across the many sub-forums.

I was briefly active here a couple of years ago. I'd read many of your older posts, but you were no longer posting at the time I joined. A few "old-timers" chimed in, but even then this sub-forum was pretty quiet. I moved on to a more active board and only come here occasionally to check in.

My largest worm bins are similar to your EarthMachine. The floor, walls & lid are thick enough plastic that rodents can't get in for a worm buffet. Once established, these converted compost bins are large enough that you can simply dump & forget scraps. Downside is harvesting vermicompost can be a bit of a pain.

Material from rabbit pens/hutches are excellent! I don't own rabbits, but it's easy in my area to find someone on craigslist who wants to get rid of such material. I just wish they contained more rabbit droppings and less uneaten food pellets. A couple of large bags are good for supplemental bedding & food for several months.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:41 pm 

Having no access to Worm Chow, I supplemented it with Rabbit Food pellets to "treat" the worms or when my bins are too wet, come feeding time.
I did manage to get a bag of Purina WC when I was travelling to US at one time and I can tell that the worms' preference is the chow. I try to stay away from poultry feed so far, just to be on the safe side re. heating up and souring, that kind of thing. The info I got from a local pet food distributor who in turn got their info from US Purina, any of their product labeled with the word "chow" is not allowed to be imported into Canada. Bummer! :(