The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: South Florida worm choice?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:36 pm 

Hello, which worm will be happiest outdoors in South Florida?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:40 pm 

First let me say I have never been in Florida, only visited. From what I understand from other sources raising worms in Florida is difficult because of the heat, and frequently Florida has a low organic matter high drainage soil. I am not sure about particular techniques for Florida that would help given these conditions but to get a nice worm population going you can do a few simple things:

- Ensure there is organic matter in the soil, the soil stays at least somewhat moist a few inches deep all the time and that there are areas of shade/cooler areas given you are in Florida.
- Once you have these conditions it might also help to introduce some worms to your yard, and see how they do.

Also I did a quick search for species better suited for Florida:
"One thing that may increase your chances of success is the use one of the tropical composting worms - either the Blue Worm (Perionyx excavatus) or the African Nightcrawler (Eudrilus eugeniae) rather than Red Worms, since they can typically tolerate higher temperatures, and are also faster waste-processors at higher temps."

One source I read about Florida and worms:
http://www.redwormcomposting.com/reader ... n-florida/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:11 am 

Thanks Lucas, I am leaning towards the two you mentioned but cannot find a source for the blue worms. Many raise the African nightcrawlers. South Florida is sub tropical and we are fortunate enough to have older established trees and hedges that have prodded a thick layer of organic matter. I have many different species of clumping tropical bamboos as well. They create an abundance of leaf litter that many local worms are already enjoying.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:35 pm 

Maybe you're best served growing a herd of your local worms? Compost heap in the shade seeded with locals may be just the ticket.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:03 am 

Abbeysdad wrote:
Maybe you're best served growing a herd of your local worms? Compost heap in the shade seeded with locals may be just the ticket.

That sounds like the best advice I could get.
Thanks!