The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:43 pm 

Found a great way to repurpose a shop-vac when the motor burns out. I turned mine into a worm bin.

The only thing I had to do was to remove the plastic tubing that the filter fit onto. It comes with wheels for easy moving, a drain at the bottom & two air inlets at the top. I just stuffed some cheesecloth into the inlets to keep the worms I other critters inside.

Filled it half full with bedding & worms from some of my exterior bins & they have gone hog wild in the container. Much better than I have ever had them do in a plastic tote, a worm factory or a can-o-worms. Thinking that it may be because this container is much deeper than any of the others, so the worms have more room to spread out & are perhaps happier. Or perhaps the shape of the container helps to keep the humidity higher in the bin. Whatever the reason, it's good to finally have an indoor bin where the worms actually seem to be swarming over the surface.

Don't think harvesting will be too difficult. Planning to just turn the whole container upside down onto a tarp & harvest all the material at the top that has been worked nicely. And when I start getting to the layers that still need some work, will just put the remaining back into the container & start over again.

Will try to remember to update this post in a few months when I actually do a harvest.

Promote Global Worming!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:39 pm 

Good job on re-purposing the vac. It would be a good 'stealth' bin too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:14 pm 

Too bad that my shop vac seems to last forever.
""they have gone hog wild in the container. Much better than I have ever had them do in a plastic tote, a worm factory or a can-o-worms.""
Maybe because it's a shop vac and used for all imaginable stuff and full of MO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:23 pm 

Worms can compost kitchen scraps and shredded paper much faster than the aerobic compost process utilized in most commercial backyard compost bins. A vermicomposting (worm composting) bin can be built with a couple of stackable totes, a small piece of window screen, and a drill. :wink: