The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another experiment
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 am 

I was getting a container of night crawlers at Wallymart for the turtle and saw they had redworms. I checked them out and they were nice big ones, 30 per container. I bought two containers just for kicks and setup a 5g bucket worm bin, separate from my 18g harvested from the outdoor EarthMachine compost bin.

60 worms is almost silly compared to some of my previous outdoor heaps, but winter is here and things are slow! :)

Post subject: Re: Another experiment
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:29 pm 

I'm curious what criteria you use to identify your worms.

I ask because for the longest time i thought i had red wigglers. It never occurred to me i had anything different. The worms that seemed to enjoy the cellar life were always just odd worms.

It was when i set up a biggish flow-through type summer bin that the behaviour of these odd worms began to stand out.

I've since determined i have a mix of species.

My links are gone but a quick search brings up a few:

http://www.happydranch.com/articles/Red_Worms.htm

http://working-worms.com/content/view/38/60//#d

When i finally got around to identifying my worms it was size, shape and colour that confirmed what their behaviour was telling me.

I'm now sort of considering picking out 60 blue ribbon red wigglers for selective breeding. The cellar-dwellers are fun and all but a population of better behaved reds would make life easier for me come fall when they get moved inside.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:35 pm 

I also have a mix of species running wild around the place. I first started vermicomposting 25 years or so ago and have ordered redworms several times. Last summer I introduced some European nightcrawlers to a bin in the garden, hoping for a worm that could also survive in the garden.
The worms I harvested from the EarthMachine seem to be mostly juvenile tigers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:49 pm 

sorry for hijacking - i'll start a new post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:38 am 

AD;
You wrote:
"Last summer I introduced some European nightcrawlers to a bin in the garden, hoping for a worm that could also survive in the garden".

So what happened? Reason I ask is because there was a rather long-winded discussion going, on one of the other forums, on exactly this topic..whether they can survive in the garden or not. I would be very interested to hear your experiences.

Shaul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 pm 

Shaul wrote:
AD;
You wrote:
"Last summer I introduced some European nightcrawlers to a bin in the garden, hoping for a worm that could also survive in the garden".

So what happened? Reason I ask is because there was a rather long-winded discussion going, on one of the other forums, on exactly this topic..whether they can survive in the garden or not. I would be very interested to hear your experiences.

Shaul

Actually, I looked back at my garden journal and realize it was 2009! I had another EarthMachine Compost Bin:
Attachment:
earthmachine2.jpg
earthmachine2.jpg [ 8.58 KiB | Viewed 975 times ]

I set it up in the center of my garden and seeded with 1# or Euros. They seemed to be doing fine and I ignored them for some time. In the fall, they were nearly all gone, migrated into the garden I presume or hope so anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:21 pm 

I have read that European nightcrawlers are known alternately as Belgian worms, super reds, Carolina crawlers, blue worms and giant redworms. These nightcrawlers can break down larger items like leaves and other tough materials that have not been pre-composted. They also break down household waste, eating the waste and producing compost as a by-product. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:49 am 

I don't see any evidence in the garden that the Euros took hold, went forth and multiplied. I see very few worms (even native) in my garden even though I've been enriching the soil organically for years - go figure.

Shaul wrote:
AD;
You wrote:

Shaul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:50 am 

For what it's worth, this experiment failed and the worms were tossed into the other bin.