The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:02 am 

Life has it's twists and turns and I haven't been here in some time.
This summer I was driving home and there was a (painted) turtle crossing the road. It's uncertain if he would have made it to the other side so I rescued it and brought it home for Abbey (who was thrilled). I got a kiddie pool and s/he's been outside under a tree in the front yard for the summer. But it's fall and he's going in the basement. Thinking about feeding him over winter, I wondered if there were worms in my EarthMachine composter....Oh yeah.
So I setup a worm bin for the basement to augment the turtles diet. As I was sifting through the EarthMachine compost I wondered how my old vermicomposting forum friends were doing.
So give me a reply here and let me know what's new!

Regards,
AbbeysDad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:10 pm 

Hi AD; I look in now and then but seems like very little activity going on here. Seems like all the past folks just checked out.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:43 am 

It's kinda sad....I'm remembering back when we had such a lively community.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:18 am 

Hi Ad; very sad indeed! I guess all have moved on as they say.
Are you still worming the windrow style or did other tiings take you away from that also.

larry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:32 am 

lkittle wrote:
Hi Ad; very sad indeed! I guess all have moved on as they say.
Are you still worming the windrow style or did other tiings take you away from that also.

larry

Hey Larry,

Well, my "worms went wild". I haven't grown a garden for a couple of years now as I wrote in another thread, so my worms went wild. Oh, I have them in my EarthMachine compost bin and I suppose descendants are out there, but I haven't actively been vermicomposting until I just set up a bin a few days ago. As it turns out I rescued a painted turtle from the highway this summer and brought it home for Abbey. Kept it in a kiddie pool outside. Was gonna let it go for winter, then decided with a little work and a few supplies, it could go in the basement.
I discovered a plethora of worms in my EarthMachine compost bin, so harvested a bunch to overwinter in the basement for some to feed the turtle.
As I was harvesting the worms, I thought back to all the time I spent documenting my windrow experiment as I practically wrote a book!... and so I thought I'd check back in.
To my surprise, I find it's a ghost town of sorts.

So how about you...what's up with you and your vermicomposting efforts?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:45 pm 

Hi Ad; I still have most of my worm species I was learning from. I let the Lts go this past spring after I sold most for bait. I had hundreds of babies and cocoons so one rainy night my grandson and I spread them all around the yard to see if they would revert back to deep dwellers. Now that the nights are cooler we have checked the spots we put them in and either they made it or the bedding and hatching cocoons made it because the density by middens seems to have increased. Even where some was spilled off the back step we counted 17 holes in a 13 inch sort of a circle. There had only been 4 or 5 before the spill. I have been heating the worm house but last winter the cost was way more than the worms were worth. So this year we are consolidating all the bims into the COW and Worm Wig Wams with electric soil heaters attached to plywood boards that will fit into the bins on top under the covers. My experiments have stopped but the observations are ongoing. I am still growing tomatoes so the vermicompost is useful. The soil where I grow the tomatoes needs all the help I can give it, mostly clay.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:50 pm 

Oh well....no point flogging a dead horse. too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:48 pm 

Hey AD,

Still spending my weekends tending to my outside worm bins. Had to move 2 of them because a vole got in. My fault. Tried to stretch out 1 last year of use on two wooden crates & they were rotten enough in the back to allow the animals to chew their way in. No major loss, just the extra work of relocating the worms & bedding to a new location. Also had to deal with a lizard getting into one of the bins. Finally caught him & moved him along to other digs. Other than that, things have been fairly normal down my way.

Reworked my three standing compost piles & was able to get all the uncomposted material into 1 standing pile. Added some worms & bedding from a bin I was screening & have been feeding them bits of table scraps to see how well they overwinter this year. Hoping for lots of great compost come Spring. Added a few bins of screened vermicompost to one pile last Spring & was surprised at how much faster the pile broke down.

Will spend this month cleaning up the garage in case I need to put the bins under shelter this Winter. My Euros seem to be enjoying the cooler temps we have been getting lately & my Wigglers are making short work of all the food I place in their bins. May need to go out & restock my supply of horse manure before the weather turns on me.

Hope everyone is doing fine with their worm projects. And perhaps when cold weather sets in & we all find ourselves sitting around the fireplace toasting marshmallows, we will also be able to find time to check in more often & let everyone know what we've been up to.

My best to everyone,

Promote Global Worming!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:25 pm 

Hey Buddy,

Well like I said, most of my worms are in the wild. I was pleasantly surprised to see all of the worms in my EarthMachine compost bin. This is where the kitchen and rabbit hutch waste goes. So I harvested and setup a bin in the basement for Abbey's turtle but as luck would have it, s/he goes nuts for nightcrawlers but turns his nose up and is not interested in redworms. Go figure! So, I'll prolly be setting up a NANC bin (just to store, not culture) down there just for him.

I still have fall yard (leaves & grass clippings) to deal with as it's been too wet here to mow. I'm thinking I'll find a place, empty a portion of my compost bin with lots of worms, then cover with all of the leaves and grass clippings. I know from experience it will heat up some and left unturned will stay warm even as the weathrer gets colder...allowing the worms to keep working longer.

As for the bin in the basement, I guess that's where most of the kitchen waste and some of the rabbit waste will go over winter. Maybe I can grow some big enough to entice Mr. Fussy Turtle <hehe>

Glad to hear your still worming. Maybe with a little luck we can breath a little life into this forgotten forum!!!

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:51 am 

I'm still here. I check in at least a couple of times a week. Winter is setting in, and for us, it's the best worm growing season, because we are extremely dry here, winter offers fog and some rain.

I had moved my worms to an old bathtub, and that's been working very well. I have to be careful about too much water, because the drainage isn't what I was used to. After a while, I started another bin in a plastic concrete mixing bin (about 8" deep), and this will be its first winter. We don't get snow, so I'm hoping that whatever heat the bin generates on its own will be enough. If not, well, there will be additional compost for the garden in the spring.

For some reason, DH has a fascination with BSF and another bin was devoted to that for a while, but once that ran out, I've been trying to rework that bin into another worm bin. It is also a plastic concrete mixing bin, and it's taken me a while to get the acid to settle and the worms to get comfortable. I finally have a small colony of worms in that bin. If the freeze doesn't get them, that bin should be established by spring.

We have two huge deodar trees that shed a bulk of needles every day of the year, and eventually, I plan to find a way to get them composted. The needles make it horrible to turn the bins and go through them by hand, so I have to have a special "needle bin" to get them broken down enough to go into my mainline bins.

So, those have been my projects for the past few months.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:41 pm 

Hi guys! Don't worry buddy everything is going to be ok. Probably because of the weather. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:31 pm 

With a reply or two every couple of weeks, a fella can't get a word in edgewise!!! LOL

Glad there's still a few closet wormers still out there...many others still seem to be in hiding.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:39 pm 

Hey guys! :)
Nice to see some of you are still kicking around here. I've set all my little guys free. I'm going through the "Big D" and have since moved all the way across the country. Sure miss my worm bins... and the garden.. and the yard. But its all good, that's the way it goes sometimes....such is life
Take care everyone! And have a great evening!
-Chickadee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:48 am 

Hey Chickadee - sorry to hear of your divorce as I'm sure it was/is difficult...although some folks are better off I guess. It might have once been a beautiful ship, but when it's sinking, a life boat looks pretty good! Good luck as you move along on the journey. Once you get settled, maybe the new life might have a garden and some worms too? Just curious....which side of the world have you moved to?

Well all my worms were wild, then in the fall I did a round up in the EarthMachine compost bin and now have an 18g bin working in the basement. I also have a heap out in the garden, in addition to the EM bin, hoping to repeat previous years successes I've had out there. The heap stayed very hot for quite awhile, but I haven't checked recently (I should do that) since it got much colder.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:21 am 

AD: s/he goes nuts for nightcrawlers but turns his nose up and is not interested in redworms.
Any idea how s/he distinguished the difference other than by size?

BTW, this is an exellent site and we should do our best to breath some life into it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:15 pm 

titan3 wrote:
AD: s/he goes nuts for nightcrawlers but turns his nose up and is not interested in redworms.
Any idea how s/he distinguished the difference other than by size?

Hard to say...maybe poor eyesight - recently, s/he will take the redworms after all, but not with the same enthusiasm as the nightcrawlers.

titan3 wrote:
BTW, this is an exellent site and we should do our best to breath some life into it.

Always was....just got slow and many of the die hard wormers got busy with life and/or just moved on. Sure used to be a real hoppin place though!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:34 pm 

Quote:
not with the same enthusiasm as the nightcrawlers.

On a second thought, it could be that smell the red wigglers emit when threaten.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:06 pm 

titan3 wrote:
Quote:
not with the same enthusiasm as the nightcrawlers.

On a second thought, it could be that smell the red wigglers emit when threaten.

I'm not aware of any smell that red wigglers emit when threatened. I was thinking that just maybe they taste a bit different than the NANC's (although I've never tasted either!).