The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:34 pm 

Is this forum still alive? I'm new to this forum, but I've been vermicomposting for over a year now. Anyone still out there?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:49 pm 

Still here. How are your worms doing? How many worms did you start with?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:39 am 

Hi & welcome to the worm forum.

I'm still here also. Spending the weekends getting all my Winter bins harvested & restocked for the Summer. Hoping to be ship-shape by the end of May. All my worms (EH, LR & EF) are doing well & eating me out of house & home. But can't complain, have lots of black gold to put on my garden this year with enough left over to stock the shelves of some of the gardening shops in my area.

Promote Global Worming!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:31 am 

Hello Wistarworms and Priswell. I checked back a few days after posting and didn't get a response, so I thought this forum was dead. I started vermicomposting with 2 lbs of red wigglers from Uncle Jim's rip off farm. So it was probably actually less than 1/2 a pound of worms. Anyway, I joined a forum similar to this, http://www.wormforums.com/forum. Its a great place for vermicomposters, and others might want to join as well since this site may go down at some point soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:35 am 

Well, Lester, I went and joined up at that forum you mentioned. It's nice, got a clean interface and so forth, but after a couple of days of reading, I don't think there's much more activity there than here.

That's not a condemnation of the place, but the thing is, is that worms aren't really high-maintenance creatures. Once you get a bin or pile established, and things start going smoothly, there's not much fuss. There's no day-to-day upheavals, few life or death situations, and very little true excitement. Now, don't get me wrong. Sometimes all the worms decide to climb out and go elsewhere for some unknown reason, or crazy weather takes its toll on the bin, or sometimes we have to revamp our systems due to changing needs, etc.. and we report in on that. But most of us here are long-time wormers, so we've got the "how to set up a bin and vermicompost" down.

We're helpful when a newby comes in to ask questions, but other than that, we're vermicomposters and the living is easy. . .;)