The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:38 am 

Hey Susan. Was wondering if you were still experimenting with the BSFL containers.

I am doing the VA State Fair Vermiculture Booth again this year and will be showing off my EFs & EHs. Had a good crop of BSFL in one of my exterior bins and decided to make a small bin for them to show off at the fair.

I sure some of the people will be grossed out by the squirming maggots, but hopefully I can convince them that these guys are really great to have around in the bins and compost piles. I'm still amazed at how fast these guys can go through food scraps. They really love Hardees' fried chicken scraps and overripe tomatoes.

Promote Global Worming!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:14 pm 

The BSF larvae go with me to all events now.
I was just at BugFest in downtown Raleigh and after talking to many folks about composting and the different ways to get the work accomplished with the least amount of effort I bring out the BSF in my hand and say.."Have you seen these in your compost pile?" People are actually happy to find out that these are not housefly maggots and carry no pathogens, and that I consider them the good guys/calvalry during the summer months. I have them go look up "Phoenix Worms" and "Reptiworms" online and see what they are selling these (which are BSF larvae renamed) for. They then realize they have a "cash crop"!
I now grow mealworms to add to my squirmy menagerie and the clients that come to buy them are feeding their chickens, Bluebirds, reptiles and more.
For the folks feeding them to their chickens I break out the BSF and we talk about how to set up a bin right over the coops. They feed the bin kitchen scraps and the soldier fly arrive in force. When the larvae leave the bin they drop right down into the coop, (where the smartest of the hens are camped out waiting for them).
BSF are the highest calcium feeder insect I know of and everyone is happy with this symbiotic set-up ('cept perhaps the BSF larvae).
A great way to harvest the BSF from a bin, without actually having to dig through the bin, is to take a plastic container, (like yogurt or tub butter comes in), drill a few holes in the bottom of it. Put some food (like an apple, banana, coffee grounds etc) in the container and place it on top of the compost. Leave it there for an hour and when you retrieve it it will be full of BSF that have moved in to chow down.
Red Hen has been asked to the NC State Fair again this year. It is a great time. I don't sell anything, and just demonstrate different kinds of bins and talk all things compost/worms.
The pumpkin carving guy sends his viewers (and pumpkin guts) down to find me on the deck next to the Cactus House.
Everyone leaves knowing that my squirm and I have way too much fun with our garbage!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:55 pm 

RedHen wrote:
Red Hen has been asked to the NC State Fair again this year. It is a great time. I don't sell anything, and just demonstrate different kinds of bins and talk all things compost/worms.
The pumpkin carving guy sends his viewers (and pumpkin guts) down to find me on the deck next to the Cactus House.
Everyone leaves knowing that my squirm and I have way too much fun with our garbage!

I too have made friends with the pumpkin carver at the Fair. I go home with trash bags filled with pumpkin guts. I also talk to all the vendors selling cooking equipment. I can usually get several buckets of cut-up fruits & veggies from them each night. My worms really eat high on the hog when the state fair is in town. In fact, I think they eat better food than most of the people at the fair. NO deep-fried Twinkies or Krispee Kreme bacon-cheeseburgers for my squirm. The BSFL perhaps, but not the worms.

Promote Global Worming!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:07 pm 

What good is a Black Soldier Fly? You will have to excuse me I have never heard of this fly.

Last edited by garyw965 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:22 pm 

garyw965 they're super composters. Lots of info on the web:

A Primer on Black Soldier Fly

Blacksoldierflyblog.com/

Thebiopod.com

ESR International

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:39 am 

I have a friend that does composting I will let him know. thanks for the info.