The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:23 pm 

Is something going on with Bob Ingram and Trinity Worm Ranch? I placed an order for 11 pounds of worms on August 6th. I have heard absolutely nothing and am still waiting for my worms. I called him on the 18th (had to leave a message) and e-mailed him on the 19th and still have heard nothing. I called (again no answer; had to leave a message) and e-mailed again today. If he was in the hospital or something, I'd understand but at this point all I know is that I spent a big chunk of money and have gotten no worms and no explanation. I'm pretty upset at this point. It's not what I was expecting from all the great things said about him over the years.

Does anybody know anything?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:29 pm 

This phenomenon has occurred before...years ago. I used to buy my worms from Bob when I had the grant for the elementary school, (before Red Hen Enterprises existed).
I had his cell number and could talk to him any time. He always returned calls and orders were reliable. Then...all went quiet.
I started hearing folks say they had bought from him more recently and, even though I was not looking for worms I wanted to just catch up with Bob. He is a very good guy.
After a few tries on the phone I reached his wife and she had him call me. This was maybe 2 months ago. He did call me and we talked about business and although he had no Redworms he did have Euros.
I know that heat has been a big issue here in NC and all over the East Coast. I don't know of a grower who would ship in this heat.
I tried calling his cell and left a message that I had heard folks saying they could not reach him and had standing orders. I have not heard back from him.
If you do speak with Bob please post it here.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:54 pm 

RedHen, I figured if anyone would know, it would be you. Was that period of inactivity in 2007? I noticed that in the Garden Watchdog there was a complaint about that in 2007. Unfortunately, I saw that after I'd already been waiting for more than 2 weeks. Sounds like maybe he's not so interested in worming anymore.

We had an insanely hot July and I waited it out before I placed my order. We actually made it 110 here in KC. I waited to place my order until a week when it was mid and upper 80's and I would be home to bring the worms inside as soon as they arrived. Bob is near St. Louis and since I'm in KC, the trip to get here should have been pretty short and direct. Besides hearing good things about Bob and his worms, I liked the idea of buying from a guy in my state.

I ended up canceling that order (I sure hope he reads THAT e-mail and gets THAT voicemail) and disputing the bill with PayPal, the first time I've ever done that. I ordered from someone else and I believe they'll notify me when they ship.

One thing's for sure: the worm bins I set up should be quite microbially active and as ready as can be for their new residents.

I hope hurricane Irene isn't causing you any troubles, RedHen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:35 pm 

RG...Did you ever hear from Bob?
Did you order more worms? If so where did you get them and how did they look? Were they Eisenia Foetida?
I am just doing a little research about the availability of redworms, as I think I am seeing a problem.
Thanks to anyone reading this that can give their experiences in the last year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:50 pm 

I haven't seen any problems with receiving EF's this year or availability. Just got a few pounds of EF's on Monday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:45 pm 

No, RedHen, I never heard from him. Just a couple days ago PayPal notified me that my dispute was resolved in my favor. My guess is that Bob never responded to their inquiry. I am very disappointed in him. I've read such great things about the quality of his worms that I was very excited about getting them.

So, after this disappointment, I placed a 12 pound order with another well respected vendor. That ended in disaster and I am still awaiting my refund. He said he would issue a refund 3 weeks ago. When I called about it last week, I got an e-mail response with a check#. If that doesn't arrive tomorrow, I guess I'll be calling him again. In that order, my order was shipped in 2 boxes. One box arrived with a note from the post office that the other box was rotten. They didn't even bother to deliver it. Of the box I got, the pound of EHs was mush with that unforgettable "eau de dead worm". There was a pound of those in the other box, and it could be that those smelled but the others were okay; I'll never know. Of the 5 pounds of the vermicomposting mix (which appears to be all EFs and EHs), my order contained exactly 1 pound 2 ounces. I know shipping can cause the weight to shrink, but even with a 20% loss I should have gotten 4 pounds. I don't know how to explain it since, as I said, this was supposed to be a very reputable breeder. The worms in that lone pound were a mix of EFs and EHs and they were quite healthy and are doing well in their new home.

At any rate, I've been so burned by this I haven't decided whether or not to try a third time. It sure seems like there is a market for reputable, responsive sellers out there, based on my recent experiences. I think I have to eat the shipping on the order that is being refunded, which makes that one pound of worms a really expensive pound of worms. Very expensive. (He charged me 50% more than the shipping charges actually were, which ticked me off; he knew what the charges would be because he used flat-rate boxes, so I feel like he gouged me on the shipping). I wanted the 12 pounds of worms so that I'd have a huge supply of VC for my garden next year. But at this point, I'm afraid I'm going to have to settle for growing the small population that I have instead. I definitely won't have the VC next spring this way

I don't suppose you'd be willing to sell me some, RedHen? I know you don't normally do shipping, but maybe you'd make an exception? If so, PM me.

What trend do you think you are seeing? Is there some nationwide shortage of E. fetida?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:09 am 

Quote:
I don't suppose you'd be willing to sell me some, RedHen? I know you don't normally do shipping, but maybe you'd make an exception?

RG...I am small and am barely keeping up with demand here locally.
I also would not want this thread to look like a business promotion, because it definitely is not.
I send business that needs shipping, (or wants bulk buys), to other reputable growers.
The one grower I have referred these orders to has not had EF's since spring and I don't think he plans to, as his business is taking a different direction. I have traveled and called all over the East coast and there are little to no EF's to be found, especially in bulk orders.
Many of the websites tout themselves as growers but in fact are brokers.
I have heard that some of the big growers in Georgia were flooded out over a year ago and have not come back.
So, what I am researching, is.... where are the worms? Where are the reputable growers, that are growing their own worms, (EF's)?
RG...Would you PM me with the name of the other grower.
I am not looking to bash anyone. I want to find the reputable growers that I can talk to.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:49 pm 

Redhen is right alot of websites are brokers. I'm one of them but also raise my own worms. There are alot of growers out there but alot of them don't have websites at all. I have quoted prices on 50 pounds of EF's and was told by my contact that it wasn't a problem at all that there are lots of worms available. Alot of my worms come out of Georgia from growers but you will not find them on the internet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:44 pm 

mikel...Would you PM me with a contact name/number for the Georgia grower?
I have spoken to a few but none had EF's at all and some would not have any available until a few weeks from now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:26 pm 

I really doubt my supplier would divulge that information to me, probably worrying I would go direct thru them. All I know is the cities from which there shipped from and that's it.

I will pm you a worm farm in Georgia that I was going to call. Let me know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:28 pm 

RH was that phone # okay?