The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trying AVCT again
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:05 pm 

Okay, CB2, after re-reading the posts on AVCT, I've decided to try it in the gallon milk jug, since you swear by it. Last year I made some batches of AVCT, but I know they weren't as good as they could be and not as good as yours, so I'm trying it your way. I want some of the results that you, RedHen, and Gr8 are getting from your teas. I'd also like to wean my parents off their preference for chemicals and chemically-based fertilizers. Thinking positively, I've got my gallon milk jug sitting in a tub so as to catch any foam that spills forth later. I've got 2 bubble hoses stuffed down into the jug. Hopefully that's enough. If not, let me know and I can add more. Let me know if I should add air stones to the ends of the hoses. My understanding is that small bubbles can be detrimental to the microbes, so I went with just the plain tubing.

I've just started it now. I'm going to be gone for about 3 hours but when I return I'll give it a dab of molasses. How much for a gallon, a 1/4 teaspoon? 1/8th?

Then I guess I'm going to bubble until it looks ready or smells ready, smell being the better guide here, right? Your gallon jugs brew teas in less time, don't they? I'm just hoping mine isn't ready to be sprayed at, say, 3 a.m. since I started it in the middle of the day!

Post subject: Re: Trying AVCT again
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:53 pm 

RoseGrower wrote:
I've got my gallon milk jug sitting in a tub so as to catch any foam that spills forth later. I've got 2 bubble hoses stuffed down into the jug. Hopefully that's enough. If not, let me know and I can add more. Let me know if I should add air stones to the ends of the hoses. My understanding is that small bubbles can be detrimental to the microbes, so I went with just the plain tubing.

I've just started it now. I'm going to be gone for about 3 hours but when I return I'll give it a dab of molasses. How much for a gallon, a 1/4 teaspoon? 1/8th?

Then I guess I'm going to bubble until it looks ready or smells ready, smell being the better guide here, right? Your gallon jugs brew teas in less time, don't they? I'm just hoping mine isn't ready to be sprayed at, say, 3 a.m. since I started it in the middle of the day!

2 hoses are fine. Forget the stones. 1/4 teaspoon is OK...you can add more later. It kinda depends on how much biology is in the brew. Don't worry too much about exact brewing times....around 24 hours OK but add that additional food source if it goes long.

It ain't an exact science, and what you brew will be beneficial (unless the air supply is removed for too long).

BTW, during brewing with a gallon jug, go out several times & remove the air tubes, put a lid on it & shake it up gently to get all that vc sludge back into suspension.

Chuckiebtoo

off-topic:

Attachments:
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG [ 171.93 KiB | Viewed 1558 times ]

http://wormscan.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:24 am 

4 attempts later and still no froth. I'm resigned to the fact that I'm not ever going to get the froth you get, CB2. I don't know what that froth (or lack thereof) means. Is a lack of froth an indication that I have a lower amount of biological activity than the frothy teas? It smells fine and it's made of the right stuff, so I'm just going to use it anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:48 pm 

nooooo.....don't worry about the froth. Sometimes is happens, sometimes not. Just pay attention to the earthy aroma of it, and the ingredients you put into it.

Like I've said over and over.....it will never be exactly the same. Don't worry about it always being exactly the same....it'll rarely be. Brew it, spread it, watch the results.

IT IS NOT A SCIENTIFIC FORMULA....IT IS A RECIPE LIKE APPLE PIE. LOTS OF DIFFERENT RECIPES.

Chuckiebtoo

http://wormscan.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:27 pm 

Okay, this is downright aggravating. I have a new AVCT brew bubbling away. And next to it is a gallon milk jug about 3/4 of the way full of water, with some alfalfa shreds in it. I thought I'd try to get some protozoa action going. (Ironically, I've just ordered a 900-lb bale of alfalfa to mulch with, so I'll be getting protozoa that way regardless and my little gallon jug of alfalfa is now obsolete). But here's what's aggravating: my AVCT is bubbling with aeration, but no froth. The alfalfa water? Nothing in there but the bubbler, water and alfalfa-- and it's frothing. Grrrr!

(So now I'm wondering: toss in alfalfa shreds with my AVCT?)