The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:50 pm 

Hello, everyone. I was unable to log on to this forum for many months. I almost quit trying and I've a feeling some folks have quit trying. Just wondered who's still around.

All my wormeries are chugging along. Here are the main modifications I've made in 2011.

• Harvest small amounts (20-30% of the bin) more frequently. This disturbs only a portion of the worm population on a given day. It also takes very little time.

Completely fill bins with bedding (old leaves). Adds insulation and mitigates flying critters.

• Use "salt jelly fence" (finely ground salt + vaseline) to keep worms from wandering out of container bins. This is especially helpful for EH & EE bins.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:44 am 

plumiebear: I am surprised I got it to work now. I know in the past I have wanted to post here but could not. The site has frustrated me for over a year. It is not the posting but the physical way the site works or rather does not work. I tried many ways and many times to register and eventually did get in a few posts. The site seem to not work for new posters or the non incredibly persistant. The registration was actually broke for a while and I e-mailed and they fixed it and it worked for a bit. That is why the site here seemed to die. Not for want of the great posters here trying. The posts and the posters are great. I read the whole thing and all the old posts. I learned tons of information here. I loved reading redhens posts, and still do. I loved reading here for the combination of the lively, energeic, story telling (UFO's visiting the compost pile)(worms behind prison fencing) posting styles from The Garden Forums. I missed reading it when you all slowed down posting (due to no new blood being able to sign in) and could not sign in to post with you guys no way no how so I had to post at a form that had been very slow but is now lively.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:01 am 

Hi Guys; I have been here all along even tried to get some action going a couple of times but no takers much. So I just visit daily now. Not much action going on. Its like all have moved on.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:11 am 

Still here too. Have spent the last few weekends screening & rebuilding my compost piles and cleaning up my exterior worm bin. The bin is now well stocked with leaves and aged horse manure. So it will be maintenance free for the next few months.

Most all of the bins I had running indoors during the winter have been consolidated into a few large bins. Makes it much easier to harvest worms for sale when they are clustered together.

Am trying my hand at raising Euros. Got 5 pounds in last week and they seemed to have settled in nicely.

Still bending peoples' ears about the benefits of using VC at different plant shows. Seems to be a growing interest in it, but still have a long way to go to get more people on-board.

Got a block of coir this past weekend from a friend and will be testing it out on some new bins I have planned to see how well it works for me.

Promote Global Worming!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:36 pm 

I'm still here, too.

The little critters did well enough that instead of just piling more trays on my worm farm, I decided to get another one so that I would have more surface area and thus use up more of our household paper.

Have lots of castings now for my house plants and outdoor pots. The stuff is truly amazing. As soon as I loaded up the plants with it this spring they went crazy. Nice and green, big healthy looking leaves. I love worms and what they do!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:37 am 

Still here.

This year I had a bumper crop of worms. Since we're in a hot, dry zone, my worms usually reproduce more in the winter than summer. We had a lot of excess rain in March, and by the time it was over, I had a huge overpopulation. I sold a few pounds through a local buy/sell email group so that they wouldn't just die off.

We also harvested some compost for the garden, and it was amazing. The space we pulled it out of was about 18 inches x 2 feet x 1 foot deep, but it filled a 30 gallon garbage can about 3/4 of the way! It must have been really packed down!

So, this will be a harvesting year. After we pulled out compost, we've been refilling the space with layers of kitchen waste, paper and sawdust, and the worms are starting to move back in, so once they do, we'll harvest the other side and we'll be completely restarted.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:44 pm 

plumiebear wrote:

Completely fill bins with bedding (old leaves). Adds insulation and mitigates flying critters.

That's the first I've heard of this idea and was wondering how you manage moisture if you have the bin full. I add a layer of dry shredded paper when I see an over abundance of condensation on the lid. What do you do if your bin gets a little wet?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:56 pm 

lkittle wrote:
Hi Guys; I have been here all along even tried to get some action going a couple of times but no takers much.

Larry, I might have tried to reply to one of your threads, but was unable to log on. I suspect there are some still having the same problems. From reading the posts so far in 2011, it looks like there are maybe 2 dozen of us actually able to post. Maybe there are also a few lurkers out there.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:02 pm 

WistarWorms wrote:
Am trying my hand at raising Euros. Got 5 pounds in last week and they seemed to have settled in nicely...Got a block of coir this past weekend from a friend and will be testing it out on some new bins I have planned to see how well it works for me.

Buddy, I've had Euros for several months. They can really eat! How are you keeping them from wandering out of the bin? I used coir as an absorbent (to soak up any excess moisture) in my EE bin. The worms eventually started to eat it.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:06 pm 

Priswell wrote:
We also harvested some compost for the garden, and it was amazing. The space we pulled it out of was about 18 inches x 2 feet x 1 foot deep, but it filled a 30 gallon garbage can about 3/4 of the way! It must have been really packed down!

Priswell, that's an impressive harvest from a relatively small worm bin: 3 ft² holding ~22.4 gallons. Just goes to show how well even a small system works.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:18 pm 

love2garden wrote:
plumiebear wrote:

That's the first I've heard of this idea and was wondering how you manage moisture if you have the bin full. I add a layer of dry shredded paper when I see an over abundance of condensation on the lid. What do you do if your bin gets a little wet?

love2garden, I do the same thing you do except with egg cartons & cardboard. My largest bins are either in or on-ground bins where excess moisture is never a problem. I have a flow-through that also doesn't have that problem. The 2 indoor bins that have no drainage are slightly tilted so any excess leachate pools on one end. I put either coir or other absorbent material in a small section of that lower end. The deep layer of leaves (and some torn egg cartons) on top also absorb moisture - just very gradually. It's very easy to dig through this top bedding when I need to access the feeding surface.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:20 pm 

plumiebear wrote:
Buddy, I've had Euros for several months. They can really eat! How are you keeping them from wandering out of the bin? I used coir as an absorbent (to soak up any excess moisture) in my EE bin. The worms eventually started to eat it.

The EHs I got a few weeks back seem to have settled in to their coir bedding nicely. Kept a nightlight on them for the first 48 hours to get them settled in to their new home when I got them & haven't had any real problem with them wandering since. Did find a few on the floor 2 days ago when we had a big thunderstorm roll through. Could have also been that the top of the bin was not allowing enough air circulation. Saw a lot of worms at the top and the lid was heavy with condensation. Covered the top of the bedding with some dry bedding and put the lib back on but at an angle and that seems to have solved the problem. Will be checking the bins again tonight when I feed them.

Promote Global Worming!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:47 pm 

Hey all. Still here, just not as often since things have slowed down so much on the forum. I'm needing to get all my gear together and get a batch of AVCT going for the roses.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:05 pm 

I'm here. Still lurking.