The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:45 am 

I have 2 worm bins at the moment and the food in one of them has gone mouldy, its vegetable scraps that is just starting to go mouldy. It has a slight aroma in that bin, while the other does not, although its not offensively bad.
Can someone tell me if the mouldy food is bad for my worms.

Thanks in advance experts,
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:28 am 

About now would be a good time to rummage around in that bin for how wet it was and how much bedding is in it.

If it is very wet and or the bedding is disapearing its time to at least get some dry shredded paper (or leaves) in it. I might even change out the whole of the contents of the bin to get things drier.

Get a liberal amount of dry litter on the bottom of the bin and set bin near to a bright light. All the kids will crawl down into fresh shredded paper, then start feeding fresh food scraps after they have moved out of wet bedding.

Compost or sheet compost the soggy medium.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:41 am 

No. Mouldy food is "good food" to worms. If you are smelling something "off" it's probably too much food or too much water. Add some dry bin filler, and mix it into the bin. Then turn the contents once a day for a few days to let the air help oxidize the excess food.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:16 pm 

iv got some old dry oats that are out of date, would they be good to dry it out? They have plenty of shredded newspaper - more than 50-50 to food ratio, although it is damp to the touch.
I hear that worms love oats, is this correct?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:23 pm 

i wouldn't say the newspaper bedding is excessively damp - you certainly couldn't squeeze any moisture out of it.

steve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:40 pm 

steve5000 wrote:
i wouldn't say the newspaper bedding is excessively damp - you certainly couldn't squeeze any moisture out of it.

steve

Good Steve, Any guess what the ambient temperature is where your worm bins are?

Your herd looks perky?

If its under 60F they may just be slow from cool.

Or your feeding them faster than their eating.

I always kept some in a heated cellar, they still slowed down about now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:27 pm 

The ambient temp is around 65f but the soil temp is 46f according to my dairy thermometer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:40 am 

When a bin is already having issues is not the time to add oats, corn, wheat, rice, etc.

The experts have logically said to add bedding as I would say too. But you say the bin is on the dry side.

When I have a bucket of harvested compost aging just before release to the field sometimes it needs water.

I add water only to find that the bottom does not get enough air so it needs to be dumped upside down into a new bucket to let air into the bottom and moisture into what had been the drying out top.

Vermicomposting is the science of balancing air and moisture into a medium to allow optium worm growth.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:49 am 

steve5000 wrote:
iv got some old dry oats that are out of date, would they be good to dry it out? They have plenty of shredded newspaper - more than 50-50 to food ratio, although it is damp to the touch.
I hear that worms love oats, is this correct?

Hey Steve. Yes worms do love oats and I feed mine a ground oat mixture about once a month. HOWEVER, I would never mix it into the bedding. Adding any type of grain must be done carefully and only on the surface of the bedding. Too much grain will make your bin go thermal. Even the dusting of grain mix I feed my worms will warm the surface for a few days. You will be much better off using dry paper shreds or pet bedding made from scrap paper pulp to help dry up an overly moist bin.

Promote Global Worming!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:45 pm 

No problem, just give it a bit of a surface stir and cover it back up - molds won't hurt worms :)