The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:31 pm 

This is just something for a smile.
I started vermicomposting 10 years ago and have done it as a business now for 8 years.
My daughters at first used to stand there in the kitchen with their leftovers on their dinner plates with a slightly nervous look saying..."OK where should this go?" (and get berated when I would find food or paper napkins in the garbage can).
I know I made them nuts.
We would go on vacation for a week at the beach with my husband's whole family and they would say..."Mom stop stalking the garbage can"..."No Mom we can't take it home". "No Mom! You cannot bring a worm bin to the beach!"
Well...this past week my 19yr old came home from college on Fall break.
Not only did she have her laundry but she had a whole bag of vegetable peels that she had been storing in her refrigerator for the worm bins.
She said, "I just couldn't bring myself to throw it in the garbage can."
I could not have been happier! ('cept for the laundry)

My favorite proverb:

You hear...you forget
You see...you remember
You DO...you understand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:20 pm 

Congrats on your success! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:52 pm 

Good job Red Hen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:04 pm 

LOL. I got beaten by my own images! LOL Need to edit the .htaccess file again!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:52 pm 

I'm thinkin you gotta put in fer a raise washer girl :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:06 pm 

Long time, no see.

I was at my daughters' garden center today and was asked to talk "worms" with a customer who was asking about vermicompost and stuff. I talked to him for about an hour, got him really interested in doing something, and also got a little re-invigorated about getting more active again after a long spell of just tending to my own herds.

Anyway, I thought I'd check back in w/the group and tried to log in......and couldn't. I had "exceeded my lawful log-in attempts" (1?), and would be required to re-register if I couldn't reproduce...exactly...some really difficult-to-decifer encoded set of letters and numbers. Somehow after only 2 tries I was granted admittance.

What's all the new security checks about? My bank account security isn't this strenuous.

Chuckiebtoo

btw: I've got a great new worm bin container that is totally user-friendly, inexpensive, convenient, and can make lots of those anti-wormers (not in my house!!) reconsider becoming wormers. I'll post some pics and stuff later.

http://wormscan.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:32 pm 

Looking forward to seeing it, Chuckiebtoo, and glad to see a post from you again. I had the same experience with logging in.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:57 am 

Quote:
btw: I've got a great new worm bin container that is totally user-friendly, inexpensive, convenient, and can make lots of those anti-wormers (not in my house!!) reconsider becoming wormers. I'll post some pics and stuff later.

So...CB2...Got those pictures?
Red Hen is deep in demos this month. Classroom presentations are in high demand for April. 3rd grade in NC has soil study as part of their curriculum so what is better than worms in the classroom? Earth Day celebrations all want the worms/bins there..(I am just the driver). We were at NC State's event on Friday and Planet Earth Day Celebration in downtown Raleigh Saturday, (which we booked out of minutes before the tornadoes hit! Got home just in time to stow ourselves in the safe room. All is well at our house.)
It is great fun to talk worms and all things organic with interested/interesting people.
After 9 years there are still so many people seeing the vermicomposting process for the first time. When I take the bins apart and show the food scraps and how they turned into black gold, it is still like a magic show.
Red Hen is on Facebook now and you can visit, see the events, "like" us and tell what you are doing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:40 pm 

Oh, OK....I was gonna put together a real good presentation for this little bitty worm bin, but I've been so busy selling them, I haven't had the time.

Since I began worming, my preferences of beddings, and bins, and food stuffs, and temps, and moisture amounts have constantly changed based on my observations.

Now, based on what I've found to be more user-friendly, cost-friendly, space-friendly. worm-worthy, and just plain common-sense efficient, I've begun using this little $.99 cent shoe-box sized clear plastic thing for my commercial worm bins for every newbie who was formally put-off or overwhelmed by that big ole 10 gallon tote just waiting to start smelling bad or leaking gigantic amounts of what we love to call leachate.

Most of the time when I tried getting folks into worming using those big ole totes, I quoted all those things about worms per square foot of surface area, etc. Well, that is just a crock of you-know-what.

Of all the better things about using these "mini"-totes, some of them is ease of access, portability, and, importantly, ability to divide them into multiple units. Because these little things are so compact (6 quarts), it is much easier to monitor them for problems with excess moisture, or dryness, or odors....PLUS, they're cute, as in....LET'S GET ONE OF THESE SO WE CAN START TO BECOME EARTH-FRIENDLY AND GREEN...but just on a small scale.

OK, here are some pics of what I've been using for awhile....and much more sucessfully with my customers, by the way.

Regardless, the worms seem to do much better with these ((probably because I (the tender of them) more readily recognizes problems and potential.))

Forget all you've ever learned about sizes of worm bins...in this case, size just doesn't matter.

Here's the pics:
Attachment:
IMG_6310.JPG
IMG_6310.JPG [ 969.63 KiB | Viewed 1421 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_6309.JPG
IMG_6309.JPG [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 1421 times ]

Attachments:
IMG_6305.JPG
IMG_6305.JPG [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 1421 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:35 am 

chuckiebtoo wrote:
Of all the better things about using these "mini"-totes, some of them is ease of access, portability, and, importantly, ability to divide them into multiple units. Because these little things are so compact (6 quarts), it is much easier to monitor them for problems with excess moisture, or dryness, or odors.

Another advantage of such a bin is that you can observe the worms without disturbing them much. It was fun to be able to watch baby worms crawl on the clear sides. Either put the tote into a cardboard box or drape a dark cloth over it to block light.

What weight of worms do you start such a bin with? How much and what kind of food do you instruct the newbies to feed?

I used to have a 4 qt. bin similar to this with ~1/4 lb. of worms. All was well even without any drain holes. What sent the worms scurrying for the vent holes was a couple of small chunks of pineapple. I removed the fruit and dumped the worms into a larger bin.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:57 pm 

I feed mainly veggies...not much acidic stuff. The absolute favorite foodstock of any worm I've ever met is pumpkin. Worms do backflips for pumpkin and clean it up really fast. Also, cantaloupe and other melons.

When feeding these soft, mainly watery things, after draining, put them in as chunks. Don't chop them up. They'll be eaten before they have the chance to cause the bins to become too moist. That is, of course, if you feed them as they consume the food.

Impatience kills most of the worms that die in our custody.

Chuckiebtoo