The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vermicomposting FAQ, etc.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:53 am 

Some interest has been expressed in producing a Vermicomposting FAQ to be posted here. The forum is a wealth of knowledge but many questions are asked a zillion times and it might be better to create a series of essays that answer the most common questions.
There's no hurry to build it. What I'd prefer is some sort of consensus on the content and possibly a few choice authors to be nominated on particular topics. The essays can be built into the forum or simply kept as a list of links in an Announcement topic and then posted as separate pages.
Also, in the past I've offered C&S their own category with various forums inside. They declined since they all prefer to chat about all C&S together. However, if you folks would like to divide (indoor, outdoor, species, food, castings), that can be accommodated. Again, there's no hurry. This can all be added after the jump. I just wanted to open up a discussion.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:14 pm 

Hi Dan,
Not sure if you're looking for suggestions yet, but when your last line said you're open to discussion, and no one's said anything.....well.... I will.

I personally would like to keep the forum all-in-one. I like "speaking" to everyone, not just the people who only do indoor bins. I feel like we're all friends, per se, and everyone has valid information to offer. Also, many, if not most people have indoor and outdoor bins, so they can offer valuable information on both aspects.

Without a doubt, there are people who should be nominated to offer their expertise in building the FAQ.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:10 am 

The C and S folks wanted to keep it all together, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:51 pm 

jasdip wrote:
Hi Dan,
Not sure if you're looking for suggestions yet, but when your last line said you're open to discussion, and no one's said anything.....well.... I will.

I personally would like to keep the forum all-in-one. I like "speaking" to everyone, not just the people who only do indoor bins. I feel like we're all friends, per se, and everyone has valid information to offer. Also, many, if not most people have indoor and outdoor bins, so they can offer valuable information on both aspects.

Without a doubt, there are people who should be nominated to offer their expertise in building the FAQ.

I agree with jasdip, it is nice to see all of the posts together.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:54 pm 

It may be good to have a few answers to each question. When I first started vermicomposting, questions that I asked had several correct answers.

Like population density:
Some live by one pound per square foot surface area.
Some believe denser population can work.
And some start with a smaller population.

Each thought has it's pros and cons.

John 3:16
Acts 2:21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:20 pm 

A FAQ is be a wonderful idea. Another thing too, that I'd just LOVE to see here is a Tutorial section, or "How to" with lots of pics, especially on how to set up a new bin, and different methods of feeding, tea brewing, etc.

Chickadee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:04 pm 
I like to use the site Shameless self-promotion. I used it to build my bin and a compost tea brewer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:21 pm 

Another person not reading the terms of registration or ignoring them hoping I won't see it. Thanks again to those who keep an eye out and alert me when folks are here for the wrong reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:52 am 

For those you can afford the good old treeware (books) "Worms Eat My Garbage" by Mary Appelhof is a good FAQ.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:00 pm 

I think a FAQ is a good idea. Maybe a link at the top of the VC forum page. I've seen other posters tell newbies to do a search or go to the first couple pages of the forum. In my opinion, that's kinda rude. I can understand why a person asks a question or two instead of doing a search. Reading through all the posts of a search can take hours, and I don't know about anyone else, but I sure don't have hours to spend reading posts trying to find the answer to a couple questions.

I remember when I was a newbie, and I would have liked to have had a FAQ where I could get my basic questions answered. It won't keep people from posting. I go to plenty of other forums that have FAQ's, and I find them extremely helpful. However, there's still plenty of action on the forums, even though they have FAQ's.

Deanna

Eat, Sleep, Garden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:51 am 

I think a FAQ section is great but there can you add a discussion thread to a FAQ? With regard to keeping a worm bin there are a lot of differing opinions on subjects where there it is questionable if someone is right or wrong. ie A how wet is too wet and should you water a bin ... I've read about people having favorable results watering and people having unfavorable results from excess moisture. The discussion about reasons why/when certain conditions are better than others are probably more valuable than any one person's opinion.

Personally, I think I learn more from people who disagree with me than from those who agree. I just like the people who agree with me better :)