The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: BSF
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:52 pm 

More reading at the Pond Boss forums (link) for anyone who's interested in BSFL. He also has a blog at http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:14 pm 

I know you can't learn enough, but man now I got more BSF larvae reading.

They are damn interesting creatures.
GR8

I have one, but have not begun using it since our move. I want to try using the waste as worm food. I think Red Hens sone something on this.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:58 am 

RedHen wrote:
The BSF manure is very liquid-y.
I have designed a BSF bin that sits above a ground worm bin.
The liquid drains from the BSF bin into the worm bin. The worms feed on that and turn it into a stable material (VC).
That's very similar to what they are doing on hog farms here in NC.
Most of my clients want that VC, so a BSF bin per se would not help them make that with their food scraps.
By combining the two bins, much more food waste can be processed, much faster and then the worms can work their magic.

Moisture issues aside how do BSFL castings compare to worm castings? If you just wanted to produce a soil amendment are worms required? Do they ‘finish off’ the BSFL castings producing a better product? Are worm castings more marketable than ‘maggot’ castings (less yuck factor)?

For those selling worms do BSFL casting offer any advantages as a medium for raising worms?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:10 am 

For those who are lucky enough to live where there are native BSF populations there is a thread over at the BioPod forums to document confirmed sightings (link). This thread is meant as a reference source for people trying to learn if BSF are present in their area.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:54 pm 

Great harvest of BSF this season, but no longer maintaining the BSF bin, with my worm bin count down to two active bins, one OJ and my COW, the BSF's were very welcome this year.

am about to harvest 5 finished bins and the COW so should have enough VC to make tea for my entire golf greens program this next season. No longer have a garden and only a few house plant since I am renting now.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

Gary (GR8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:23 pm 

If anyone here listens to podcasts there are a couple about the Black Soldier Fly on the The Agroinnovations Podcast (link). Look for episodes #78 and #79.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 pm 

I've found the discussion and links about BSF fascinating, and have read a bit on other websites. BSF have so many things going for them when it comes to biomass conversion, but I see one big problem. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems BSF can't be readily utilized in the northern half of the continent. I live in the Chicago area, where (like many similar places) insect life hibernates/dies in the winter. Without adults active, the larvae aren't going to be replaced when they pupate. The whole process grinds to a halt. So what would a person in my type of climate do? Only use BSF for part of the year? Be forced to re-stock each spring? Isn't that a huge stumbling block to using these creatures more? Unless of course, someone can get the adults to reproduce in in-door conditions, such as a green house. Has anyone read anything on how to do this?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:00 am 

Like you I've been fascinated by the potential of BSFL for biomass conversion. I'm even farther north than you 53° latitude and I also don't think small scale backyard bins will ever be possible in the 'north'. Industrial scale greenhouse type may be another matter

I have no 'hands on' experience with BSFL but do follow the blog and forums so will try to answer some of the questions you raised.

Ben Yoder wrote:
... So what would a person in my type of climate do? Only use BSF for part of the year? Be forced to re-stock each spring? Isn't that a huge stumbling block to using these creatures more?

Seasonal operation seems to be the norm even in southern climes. The author of the BSFL blog is from Georgia and his outdoor bin is inactive 5 months of the year. Larvae can be overwintered by not feeding and regulating their temperature but I'm not sure if they'll reproduce in the north.

Quote:
Unless of course, someone can get the adults to reproduce in in-door conditions, such as a green house. Has anyone read anything on how to do this?

See 'Eggs Hatch! Complete Reproduction Cycle of Hermetia Illucens Achieved in Captivity' (link)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:45 am 

Here’s a link to the blog of the person who has had some success breeding BSF indoors (link).

It looks like she used a “cylinder” of mosquito netting suspended over a terrarium placed in front of a sunny window.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:43 pm 

Ben Yoder wrote:
... Unless of course, someone can get the adults to reproduce in in-door conditions, such as a green house. Has anyone read anything on how to do this?

This is a recent Chinese project which had success breeding BSF indoors under artificial lighting: http://www.insectscience.org/10.202/

Quote:
Abstract

Current methods for mass-rearing black soldier flies, Hermetia illucens (L.) (Diptera: Stratiomyidae), in the laboratory are dependent on sunlight. Quartz-iodine lamps and rare earth lamps were examined as artificial light sources for stimulating H. illucens to mate and lay eggs. Sunlight was used as the control. Adults in the quartz-iodine lamp treatment had a mating rate of 61% of those in the sunlight control. No mating occurred when the rare earth lamp was used as a substitute. Egg hatch for the quartz-iodine lamp and sunlight treatments occurred in approximately 4 days, and the hatch rate was similar between these two treatments. Larval and pupal development under these treatments required approximately 18 and 15 days at 28° C, respectively. Development of methods for mass rearing of H. illucens using artificial light will enable production of this fly throughout the year without investing in greenhouse space or requiring sunlight.

Zhang J, Huang L, He J, Tomberlin JK, Li J, Lei C, Sun M, Liu Z, Yu Z. 2010. An artificial light source influences mating and oviposition of black soldier flies, Hermetia illucens. Journal of Insect Science 10:202, available online: insectscience.org/10.202

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:54 pm 

Here's a new blog site about BSFL - Raising Black Soldier Flies
Tips and techniques for raising black soldier fly larvae (Hermetia illucens)
(link). Lots of good content and plans for DIY BSFL bins.

The author also vermicomposts using BSFL residue as feed. He's also experimenting with breeding BSF year round in a green house.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:39 pm 

The Black Soldier Fly Blog has set up a BSF Locator map (link) displaying the locations of confirmed BSF sightings/populations. If you'd like to contribute there's a 'Report BSF sighting' link in the upper right corner of the map or you can use this link.

Only locations which are submitted with adequate documentation will be used.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:02 pm 

Black Soldier Fly (BSF) breeding in captivity is a relatively new development for the DIY crowd. There are a few commercial operations which raise them for pet food and even a couple for large scale waste disposal but very few DIY small scale indoor systems. As an experiment I purchased a few Black Soldier Fly Larvae (BSFL) from a pet store this summer and after some trial and error was successful in having them complete a reproduction cycle indoors (link).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:45 am 

There are a few reptile owners in Germany that are having success breeding BSF indoors using artificial lighting. There's some detailed information and photos in the terrarienbilder.com forum (link). This is a German language forum but I found that Google translate does a passable job of making the posts understandable.

It is interesting to note that breeding was achieved in a fairly small space (storage tote size). Previously it was thought that a large inclosure was needed as BSF mate in flight.

These systems are small and probably wouldn't be good for composting. They would be great for reseeding an outdoor bin in areas where BSF are not found naturally.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:07 am 

BorealWormer wrote:
There are a few reptile owners in Germany that are having success breeding BSF indoors using artificial lighting. There's some detailed information and photos in the terrarienbilder.com forum (link).

The original poster in that thread has posted a video (link) showing his system for raising BSF in a plastic storage tote. Like the forum, the captions in the video are in German but it still gives a good illustration of how simple the system is.