The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:07 pm 

I think I recognize that odor. It smells like a dead forum.

RIP Vermicomposting, everyone's left you for dead like those miners in Utah. Image

http://wormscan.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:29 pm 

Cute dog Chuckie. Whadda ya think Michael Vick would do with that pooch? (if he wasn't going to jail)

Pretty soon it'll be pumpkin time (pumpkin fries, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, and worm food). Right now I've been feeding the worms the apples that have dropped off of my crabapple tree that have turned brown. Yummy, yummy they told me in unison. (it's nice to hear someone talking).

Mickey 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:12 pm 

I almost totally stop hitting the fora when I'm involved in non-vermi outside projects, but I do log in to read posts from time to time.
If I've nothing to say, I've nothing to say.
Interesting that you posted this today - I just picked up enough free cinderblocks this morning to do my long-planned and oft postponed outside bin expansion.
Now all I need is a break in this 3-digit weather and a goodly bit of rain to swell the ground back up so I at least don't see the edges of my septic tank in the yard before I set the base course. Hoping I can get that done before it gets chilly, but chilly has been an alien concept around here for a few months.
Off-topic, HH6 & I are heading to the local hospital this eve to welcome our first grandbaby into the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:34 pm 

It just needs a little fluffing and maybe a little fresh bedding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:46 pm 

You know what I'd like to have? More time for worming, and scratching around in the garden, that's what! But over the last few months I've had that much company I just can't seem to get anything done! It's gotten to the point that I've started turning my phone off, and locking my outside door!
There's one especially that's really getting on my nerves.... she drives s-l-o-w-l-y past the house, head on sideways, eyes all bugged out looking in... just looks like a great horned owl on an acid trip. Holy crap! Maybe I should buid a moat and hire a dragon. Honestly, Is anyone else being bombarded with an overdose of company this summer?
gnosnhoj, congrats on the new arrival!!! :D
Chickadee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:18 pm 

Congradulations Gary. I guess it was a good day for births. My third grandchile was born today. It was a boy, Jacob Michael Johnson, born 8/22 4:20 CDT. He was 20 1/2 inches and weighed 6 - 15 and a half.
Freddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:09 am 

Gary and Freddie,

Congratulations on the new bubs.

Marshall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:43 am 

Cheers Gary and Freddy,

Bet you both feel like a million.

GR8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:05 pm 

Thanks for the good wishes, folks, and it's still a bit freaky to me how you make that instant attachment at first sight...ain't done that in 20 years, 'cept for a couple special pups! I kinda think he's gonna be Gramps's kid; he can dress & drag my deer in my old age, while I sit on a stump and tell him he ain't doin' it quite right :wink: .

Please allow me to introduce Matthew Scott Yeager, born 22 Aug 2007 at 8:26 pm CT, weighing in at 7lb2oz, measuring 19", with 10, 10 & 1 all functional and where they're supposed to be. Mamma and baby are both just dandy.

Congratulations back atcha, Freddie! Sounds like you're getting to be an old hand at this.
Chickadee, I haven't have any uninvited drop-ins, but I'm proud to say that some folks do slow down when they drive by our place. Most of 'em wave. We're fairly rural, so there's not a lot of excitement going on rahtchere. As hot & dry as it's been here this summer, we're calling our around-the-house plantings "The Oasis", because that's the only area I've been watering and avcting (is that a word?) besides the veggie garden.
Mickey 2, I'm still treating my herd with last year's punkin chunks from the freezer, as well as this year's not-quite-mature-and-weather-devastated crop. They're likin' it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:17 am 

Hi to All and a special Congrats Freddie & Gary! I've only been checking the site sort of early each day so as the post start later I am just now seeing them. I figured everyone was busy with the around the house chores and gardening so the posting slowed down for good weather. I'm glad to see all are fine however. All is well here in Holley, New York.

larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:30 pm 

What are the odds?... of so many of the world's most fascinating grandpaws congregating on one forum? Must be more of that worm magic. Congratulations Gary and Freddie!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:00 pm 

Congrats, Gary and Freddie! Grandbabies are the best! :D Gary, that's a good looking boy you've got there!

Deanna

Eat, Sleep, Garden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:38 pm 

gardenfanatic wrote:
Congrats, Gary and Freddie! Grandbabies are the best! :D Gary, that's a good looking boy you've got there!

Thanks, Deanna. He's doing very well at home now:
His baseball mitt doesn't quite fit him yet, but I reckon he'll grow into it :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:00 pm 

Tie dye,

Gary you continue to suprise me,

GR8

Good looking child

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:18 pm 

Congratulations, you two proud grandpas! Freddie, the pressure is on: Gary has a picture of his grandson up. Where's yours????

My kiddos are 5 and 8. You'll have to tell me if it's true what I hear, that being a grandparent beats being a parent hands-down.

RG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:43 am 

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. About the pictures, well I am kinda technically challenged when it comes to those digital photos. I have been working on computers since 1970 but some of this new stuff ..... I will get help from my daughter in law.
Freddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:09 am 

I don't have a clue if this will work.
Sorry,
Freddie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:27 am 

It worked! What a good looking little fella! Probably takes after his grampa, right? :wink:

RG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:34 pm 

RoseGrower wrote:
You'll have to tell me if it's true what I hear, that being a grandparent beats being a parent hands-down.

Hehe. So far it does...no 2am feedings, no diapers, no lap full of yark (yet)...

Good pic, Freddie - yer on it!

What, Gary?! Just 'cuz my Mom & Dad wouldn't let me go to Woodstock when I was 8 doesn't mean I can't like tie-dye :lol: . Caveat: there are some deer on the front of the shirt.

To keep this topic in the worm realm, I am planning to harvest half of my big (50g) indoor bin this weekend. I haven't pulled a vc harvest from this one since I set it up in March, and it is way ready. The herd has done well.
I've only fed one end for a few weeks. I expect to do half now and the other half in a couple of weeks, once the herd majority shifts to the new bedding. Anticipating a full day and quite a bit of very fine vc. Oughta be fun.
Too dang hot & dry to do a lot of outside work anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:25 pm 

It's a good weekend for harvesting, Gary! I'll be doing the same with half of one of my large bins. I've only been feeding on the other side for a time now. I don't think it's been long enough for most of the worms to have moved, but at least some will have. I can't imagine a 50 gallon bin! I hope you have that sucker in a place you want to harvest it!

RG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:26 pm 

RoseGrower wrote:
I can't imagine a 50 gallon bin! I hope you have that sucker in a place you want to harvest it!

Well sure, RG, in the only room of the house that I can realistically call mine :wink: . Here is the big'un next to a couple of 10g bins.
It has wheels on one end and is easy to move around. Much taller than I'll ever need for bedding, but I've accepted that trade-off for good surface area in a single bin. I know there are shorter containers out there, but this is what I got so I'm using it.
Vc depth now is roundabout a pretty dense 6 to 8", so we're not talking about an actual 50g of the stuff. I imagine it'll sift up very well though. I have an empty 18g ready for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:34 pm 

Good Job,

GR8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:01 am 

Gary, that is definitely going to take you awhile. I have a 35 gal, and when it's 6-8 inches deep in VC, it takes me several HOURS to get through one side of it (I rotate sides on that one). But then, I'm kinda slow, so you might git er dun quicker than I can.

Freddie, that little cutie is bright eyed and ready for action! Hope he's not that way at 3am! :wink: Congratulations!

My little beauty of a granddaughter is almost 2, and I have yet to post a picture. I need to get busy! (I'm a little technologically challenged.)

Deanna

Eat, Sleep, Garden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:11 pm 

Bumping this thread up as it seems relevant these days. Maybe we'll get lucky and see some results like at the original posting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:51 am 

RoseGrower wrote:
Bumping this thread up as it seems relevant these days. Maybe we'll get lucky and see some results like at the original posting.

You never know!