The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help I am getting lethargic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:27 pm 

Lately I have been neglecting my garden, my journal and the forums. Its not depression because I can set and look at the things I should/can be doing and be happy as a pig in sh|*. I may snap out of it or it may get worse who knows. Have any of you experienced this and if so what did you do or are you still as happy as that old pig. Image John

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com

Post subject: Don't sweat it.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:59 pm 

I have been going through the same things. Things were gonna be different for me this year. It was my year. Many things I planted were really gonna produce for me this year( peach, apple, blueberries). I moved the garden hoping to repel some animals ect. Remember second real year in the garden. I ended up with peach leaf curl, cedar rust and not much with the blueberries. Also got powdery mildew. The summer is always difficult for me. I have 9 year old triplets so I work early and get home so my wife can go and work late. So add up all the household duties the needed outside stuff and the garden barely makes the list. The HEAT has been so bad you can't even breathe outside. I use this time to reflect and get my ducks in a row for next year. I am already excited. I am also think about my winter projects. Next year is always better so hang in there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:57 pm 

Summer is always hard to get a lot done because the garden needs water about every other day (it never rains, is never cloudy, almost always in the 80's). Mainly I go about watering stuff and harvesting tomatoes (around 200+ this year). It seems I get the most done in the fall to spring, even though I have less light to work with.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:28 am 
Administrator

PM,
Sunol is a gardener's Meca for many. Summer tends to make folks a bit lazy in some areas.
Your temperatures and humidity is ideal for almost year 'round activity. Having lived years in Livermore I know how nice it would have been to move a few miles west to enjoy your wonderful forested canyon.
My sister lives in Atlanta and most of summer is too extreme to do much more than the shopping most days (and nights!!).
If I lived in Florida I would live house bound most of the year.
When I lived in Oregon and Washington where it seemed like you would not see the sun for 9 months Seasonal Personallity Disorder was rampant and many sat inside watching TV for months.
Alaskan (Fairbanks, 1960) winters were like living on the moon for many. Card games and sitting around the local club was the winter sport. In summer mosquitos were thick enough you would breath them in
Louisianna------best left to the insects!

Now Tucson, AZ-----unbearable summers to many. Ha! Follow the lead of the critters. I work and play outside early and late. Mid day is reserved for indoor airconditioned chores. The rest of the year---------heaven. A challenge to garden, even if the garden is native cacti, but doable with practice.

My geography lesson ends with a point I wanted to make to those that find themselves lethargic yet happy. You will be even happier if ya get out and move. If you are lethargic and NOT happy see your doctor soon.

Have fun,
Enjoy life, it passes quickly,
AZED

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:58 pm 

Ed, thanks for helping to keep the population down in OR. and WA. :D It's seasonal affective disorder here, SAD. And we do see some sun in the winter, usually with a good cold front coming through. It's beautiful when it does come out in the winter, with the cold, crisp air.

I'd wither anywhere in the south.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:51 pm 
Administrator

Luv,
I will always remember the sign close to the CA, OR border:
"WELCOME TO OREGON------------NOW GO HOME!!"

I must admit those frigid January and February breaks in the cloud cover are beautiful.

Oregon and Washington have some magical and wonderous vistas and a couple of the finest cities to live in the country.

Enjoy your home,
AZED

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:08 pm 

I have gotten a lot done the last few weekends, potted up about 50 plants from 3.5" pots to 1g pots. Mostly agave seedlings and columnar cactus seedlings.

I keep a gardening journal spreadsheet (I also have spreadsheets for my work and my diet), it seems I get more done if I feel obligated to put something into that day's cell. It also reminds me to do things, IE plant onion seed in mid Oct, and keeps track of things like when I last treated things with systemics.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:36 pm 

Jbest we still have not heard anything just wanna make sure your OK. i am not a big fan of the DR. They are too quick to hand out a pill and tell you it is all ok. The weather finally broke in our area and we can get outside and soak up the sun and the wonderful weather. Reflect on our garden mistakes and plan our corrective actions for next year.