Post subject: What is on my pumpkin?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:59 pm 

What is it?

Attachments:
0805001510.jpg
0805001510.jpg [ 316.71 KiB | Viewed 557 times ]
0805001454.jpg
0805001454.jpg [ 434.72 KiB | Viewed 558 times ]

Post subject: Re: What is on my pumpkin?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:34 pm 

Eggs of some sort. Either wait till they hatch, then show us again, or squish them now. Thumb and finger work great.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:25 pm 

It has taken out half of my pumpkin leaves. I googled somethings and saw a picture of a squash bug and next to it was those things. I guess they would be squash bug eggs. I thought an animal was living in there and it was laying on the plant but I was wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:32 pm 

It probably is squash bugs, but judging by the level of powdery mildew on the leaves, the plant isn't really long for this world anyway. Hopefully the pumpkins are already most of the way along.

I have the same problem with powdery mildew, I think the cool nights here along the coast really aggravate it.

If you aren't planning on eating the pumpkins, you could put some bayer advanced tree-and-shrub on the plants (following the 'shrub' instructions), and that will kill any bugs that try to eat your pumpkin plant. It probably won't make much difference for this season, but if you don't kill those buggers they'll be back in bigger numbers next year and will do more damage.

Commercial growers minimize their pesticide use by planting in rotation so they know bugs won't overwinter where they plan to grow squash, then they ring the field with a 'trap crop' of squash that the bugs particularly like, and treat the trap crop with systemic pesticide. Then most bugs trying to travel into the field will hit the trap crop first, and die there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:33 pm 

Of the pumpkins maybe 2 are completely orange and 6 are half orange. I read to dispose of the leaves. I figured maybe I should pull them all. I wonder if I could replant them in time for Halloween. These were planted early June. I was looking into ordering some stuff for my tree sprays in the fall. The stuff was liquid Copper. It seemed to cover the tree issues and also treats powdery mildew. Should I treat the pumpkins or pull them, trash them and treat the area? The only things left in the garden are some tomatoes, G beans, corn, herbs and just planted the fall stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:52 pm 

Powdery mildew just happens every year no matter what you do, IME. I planted pumpkins in my front yard where cucurbits have never grown before, and they got powdery mildew anyway. I just leave the plant until it dies and then salvage what I can from the fruit. I haven't seen it growing on the fruit themselves. I don't try to treat powdery mildew because it grows on the undersides of leaves as well, squash and melon plants are so large it would be impractical to attempt to spray the entire thing. Commercially, systemic fungicides are used, but those are usually unavailable to gardeners.

Some cultivars are resistant to powdery mildew, if it's bad in your area I'd seek those out. Usually these are hybrid plants from big seed vendors, so you may be out of luck if you have your heart set on OP seed. IMO, it's worth paying a bit more for seed if the plant will survive an extra month or two and produce 2-10x as much. Even resistant plants are not immune, but they will survive and produce longer at least.

A couple years ago I got 'seabring' zucchini seed from fedco, which is one of the few PM resistant zucchini, and those plants produce zucchini like crazy even though they are next to a pumpkin that is sheet white with powdery mildew.