The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How bad has your year been?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:04 pm 

This year has been tough. I thought with the heat early I could get a jump on things. Cold stuff was horrible. Most bolted or just did not perform. The warm stuff was OK. I am not breaking any records. But we will eat fresh food from my garden. Any advice on the heat or just your experiences.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:31 am 

We're having our first week of summery weather. It went from cool and rainy to hot. We had a very wet spring and in June, we didn't see much sun and it was unseasonably cool, so my garden suffered. Weeds did very well and that's where most of my garden time goes. We're suppose to have several days over 90 this week, after having the cool, cloudy weather so long, so that will stress some plants most likely. We won't have many vegies this year, unless I get some things going for fall. I have some kale that went to seed, so I'll save that and plant it it later this month. I got tomatoes in too late since it was so wet and cold, so I won't get much from them unless we have a long Indian summer.

I'm going to get some clear plastic to lay out over some big weedy areas and fry them while it's hot, so that will speed up my weeding job a great deal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:48 am 

Well, in the great tropical rainforest of the Midwest, it was a tough one.

First it was monsoon season which brought on the slugs and snails. We got the slugs a nice batch of beer and slug magic to enjoy at their leisure and then we went into the second wave of rain.

This brought out the cabbage loopers and a couple other worms. We did have fun plucking them after the sun set, but they were a determined foe. A little BT made their bellies ache and that was that.

Then we went for round three of monsoons followed by 4-day periods of blistering 100 degree heat with 85% plus humidity. Nothing really dried out, but the sun-burning was fun.

Apparently this round of monsoons was enough to bounce the leaf spot from the ground, through the mulch and onto the tomatoes. Lovely. We were getting decent fruit, but it set everything back. After a few heavy doses of copper, we had some production continue and were happy with new flowers.

Then we hit monsoon number four which was great for cat-facing!

Finally caught a break in late August and September to allow a decent harvest of maters and peppers and the ability to do some decent canning.

What a ride!!!! Buckle up for 2011. :shock:

http://frugalhydroponics.blogspot.com/

Zone 5a:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:08 pm 

Our weather was cooler than usual in the early summer, which caused slow growth across the board and powdery mildew on the cucurbits, then we had a couple heatwaves near the end just to discombobulate things. It never rains in the summer, so you can take that as good or bad if you like. ;) The peppers were especially disappointing this year, due to the low temps.

Seems like it's going to be a relatively wet winter, which will be good for garlic,onions, brassicas, ect.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:17 pm 

Our summer was just cooler in general. I did get some ripe tomatoes, though, in spite of planting them towards mid July. Not the thing to do here, but I had the plants I had started and didn't have much to lose and I didn't want to just dump them in the compost pile, so we got enough to make it worth while. I hope life is calmer next summer so I can do it on schedule.

There's snow in the forecast tomorrow! Not common on the valley floor in Nov. I had to go out and tuck in some potted plants so they won't freeze over the next couple of nights.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:53 am 

I've been doing the same, looks like first frost is tomorrow night. I'd been keeping tabs on the weather, but then in one day they downgraded the night lows from 38'F to 30'F. Doh! I got about half the things that needed evacuation moved tonight, the other half will go tomorrow. We'll also be stripping the peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, basil and other things that will get devastated.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:31 pm 

I think we had 2 nights of freezing so far. But it has been right at the freezing point. I thought I would have more things done by now. My cold stuff was Ok but I got it in too late. I think it survived the frost cause I covered the garden with bed nets from the mushroom houses. They are these long rolls of black fabric and I think they got the ground hot enough that it did not actually freeze. At this rate I might get some broccoli at least. Originally I was going to use it as a weed barrier and have decided to keep it as a cover to prevent weeds when in areas with no plants or during the off season. Just want an easy year next one.

The summer ended in a heat wave. I have one of those pop up pools(4000 gallons). I could get in it at 11pm and the water was still at 85 degrees. It was to hot to do anything. I got a fair amount of food this year. I ate it as fast as I could pick it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:20 am 

The garden space I could access (a Henniker NH community garden) actually did quite well. it produced ripe crops of mellon, pepper, eggplant, tomato, and corn.

It was quite drouthy.

On a scale of 1--10 easily an 8 or 9.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:28 pm 

Weather here was colder than usual too.. and as a result the harvest was not as good as expected. How do I keep a greenhouse warm in the winter?

My name is Brad, and I live at the gardens - palm beach gardens. My goal is to be completely self sufficient and only buy some of my food from the local market. I currently run a real estate property listings website. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:02 pm 

I would assume they make some sort of heater that can take the humidity. How much of a difference is the temp in the greenhouse versus the outdoors?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:15 am 

year is bad throughout all the time. In winter, the temperature was very low (in minus) which was not usual so lost so many of vegetables and fruits. And in summer now, it's raining once in a day. Very bad year for me.