The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A cure for wilts.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:33 pm 

Older members of the forum might remember my complaints of plants wilting and generally failing to grow, last year! Vines that produced very little or in some cases nothing. Brassicas eaten alive by loopers and aphids every where.
I started using a couple of products that seem to have fixed the problems.
Mycorrizhae and Trichoderma fungus. Both of these products are applied to the planting hole, or added to the AVCT which I have been brewing for some time.
This year I cannot believe how 'lush' my plants are, superb, no other word for it.
For the first time in many years I cannot fault anything that's growing, and I can be a fussy old git!!
Here are a couple of links I would suggest you have a look at
http://www.tandjenterprises.com/biovam_overview.htm
and this one.
http://www.tandjenterprises.com/CCPRO/ecom-prodshow/biosolmix1_5lbs.html
and finally you could spice up your AVCT with this one.
http://www.tandjenterprises.com/CCPRO/ecom-prodshow/onegallonbrewerrefill.html
Just in passing, I have no affiliation with this company.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:22 pm 

For many years my garden has suffered from the wilts, plants which should in theory do well, don't. I have used chemical fertilizers, flaming, fumigation and a host of other treatments trying to improve the crops. In my view there is little point in gardening when you know the plants are going to fail, easier to sit and watch TV.
I have been doing some trials this year in an attempt to find a cure/preventative for Verticillium/Fusarium wilts which my tomatoes and other plants have suffered with for years. It's only fair I should share the results, to perhaps help others afflicted with this problem. I know how painful it is to watch good plants die from the wilts without having a cure or preventative.
I started the trial with "Myke Vegetable" mycorrihizae, bought locally, and part way through I found out about "Biovam" a Mycorrihizae with "Trichoderma fungus", to be used as a preventative, so went ahead and shipped some in from the USA. The "Myke Vegetable" product does not include Trichoderma as part of it's makeup whereas the USA Mycorrihizae had Trichoderma included along with both ecto and endo.
I planted one row of 15 bush Romas, the first two plants had no treatment at all. The remaining 13 were all treated with the Trichoderma. The plants were growing extremely well, but the first two did not achieve the size of the treated, and on the first hot day recently both plants collapsed, while the rest of the row look terrific.
At the same time I planted another row of 18 plants all treated with the Myke Vegetable treatment. Overall the plants look terrific, growing well, no signs of early blight, in spite of a lot of rain, healthy and a good green, up to 3 trusses, setting fruit. Regretfully I have two already which have collapsed.
Another row of 10 plants, this time using the Trichoderma treatment. To date all the plants are doing well, and so far no collapsed plants.
So it would seem that the Thrichoderma plantings are safe from the wilts.
The only conclusion to make, in my opinion, Biovam Mycorrihizae with Trichoderma does provide some prevention to V/F wilts. Only at the end of harvesting will I be sure this works to combat my problems, other plants in the yard are under testing as well, strawberries, pole beans, melons and cucumbers, all of which I have had in past years suffer the wilts to varying degrees.
I have no vested interest in the companies who market BioVam or Myke.

Post subject: Re: A cure for wilts.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:59 am 

That would be discouraging to have the problems so wide spread. I'm glad you're seeing some improvement and hope it will take them all the way through the season. Good luck!