The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:06 pm 

I love this forum. It is so much easier to add photos and to submit your posts. The load times on pages is super quick, I never have any down time and there are no advertisements. Not to mention all the smilies choices. :D :lol: :x :wink: :roll: :evil: :shock:

Yet, I only visit infrequently because there is so little traffic in the forums.

GardenWeb on the other hand is a horrible site still using 1998 forum technology, filled with advertisements and the site is super slow. But people are posting new threads all the time.

Any thoughts on how we could get more people to use this forum?

Also.... To who owns this site.... Great Job!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:43 am 

Maybe people leave because the original owner kept it too peaceful. :wink: Some people just like to cause trouble and they didn't last long on here. Several long time members left when it changed ownership and others left because it was slower than other places. I don't know how one would attract more people. There are new members signing up, but so many don't post anything.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:33 am 

I don't get it either, their use of intrusive ads is disrespectful to their members and gives it a 'sleazy' ambiance. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:52 pm 

We might want to move this discussion to the "Comments, Questions and Suggestions" forum. But I totally agree. I much prefer the Garden Forum format (and the people :) ), and I don't much like the GardenWeb format. On the other hand, I usually check in with Garden Forum to see if anyone has said anything, and then go on to GardenWeb, and spend more time there, for all its faults.

A few really rambling bits, not necessarily in any order, except the first:

The first thing, of course, is just plain not enough active people, so there does not *seem* to be a really wide and deep range of interests and knowledge here. That's not true, of course. but with a very limited number of people, we can only ask each other questions for so long.... How many of us out there have other good garden forum contacts that we could invite to come play? And let them know that it is not an 'instant gratification' thing, but rather a really good place they would be helping to build?

*. I tend to be someone who sticks for a while, and sees how things are over time, especially since I joined in very early spring, when most garden forums are slow. But I was at first tempted to just sigh and go away. All of the activity was about either very specific varieties of particular plant groups or beautiful shared photos. That's where the active peoples' interests were. There were categories for other and broader topics, but they were totally inactive. But when I posted questions, people came out of the woodwork, and responded. Very cool! But this didn't appear from a first browse.

*. We *don't want*, and probably can't handle, the sheer volume of a "GardenWeb". Often, people just register, ask really stupid questions, post veiled ads, do lots of the 'I love it!' kinds of responses.... The sheer volume is not good. I like the 'slightly more controlled' list-joining here. But many of the active gardening people would be much happier here, and would add a needed richness.

*. It probably would help to try to get more activity on some of the more general forums. And it would help to look at possible different *general forums* available. Ie., we have "Ornamental Gardening", and "Edible Gardening" and very specific "Gardening Styles". But nothing about landscape/garden design for the overall advice.

That's all my brain holds at the moment......

To find your roots, get your hands in soil. To live fully in the present, imagine your garden and make it happen. To see all of reality, spend some time sitting quietly in the garden.... Then get your hands back in the dirt.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:24 pm 

Linda, up until the change of ownership, there were more specific forums, but there were many with no activity, so the new crew decided to consolidate the forums. Too bad you didn't find it back then. Several long time members left when the change was taking place.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:04 pm 

Well, I guess we just keep on keeping on, and see what develops. And what we may be able to develop.

I'll certainly be sticking around. These things can take time....

To find your roots, get your hands in soil. To live fully in the present, imagine your garden and make it happen. To see all of reality, spend some time sitting quietly in the garden.... Then get your hands back in the dirt.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:24 pm 

That's all that we can do. Hopefully it will pick up. I know I haven't contributed much the last few months, but hopefully will get back to it when our current stresses ease up. I may have to sleep for a solid month first, though. :shock: I haven't been able to spend a lot of time on my garden, so the weeds are getting ahead of me. The few times I can sneak out there, I try to lay out some newspaper with straw over them to smother some of the weeds, so that helps and it's the fastest way I can weed an area. On the down side, the moles like it underneath it since the worms gather there where it's dark, moist and cool. Oh well!

I'm glad you'll be sticking around. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:26 pm 

Thanks, Luv2.

Take care of yourself as much as you can through all this. And holler for help, or just for a break, wherever and whenever you can.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:59 pm 

Thanks! It's just tough times with an aging parent, who has been staying with us the last 3 months, pretty much halting our lives.

That sounded pretty cold! I do care a lot about her and it's hard to see her going through the problems. There, that's more like me. :) I shouldn't write about it when I'm wiped out.

So, back to the topic. I do hope the forums will pick up some speed and get livelier.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:58 pm 

Hopefully. We're only starting the gardening season in most of the country, and veggie gardeners from cold areas will probably talk more as their attention falls back to the garden for the summer.

I started using gardenweb more when the change took place, I was concerned it would fall through or turn out bad in some what. I'm very happy with how it all went though and think the consolidated forums is a good thing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:07 pm 

promethean_spark wrote:
Hopefully. We're only starting the gardening season in most of the country, and veggie gardeners from cold areas will probably talk more as their attention falls back to the garden for the summer.

I started using gardenweb more when the change took place, I was concerned it would fall through or turn out bad in some what. I'm very happy with how it all went though and think the consolidated forums is a good thing.

Did you mean gardenweb or thegardenforums?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:03 pm 

I only joined this forum recently whilst browsing to find where I could buy a certain bulb from. I assume that was after the change over.

I do not mind the layout of any garden forum because I do not post much else than my considerable bulbous plant collection. I have to also tell you that the bulbs take a second place to my primary collection and growing of Clivias. I belong to a Clivia Forum here back home which is joined by Clivia collecting people from all over the world.

This forum should be well presented too with members from various countries meaning that plants grow and flower at different times for the Northern and Southern Hemisphere like with Clivias too. I have met very good friends on forums and I now have a number of forum members with whom I exchange bulbs from around the globe. I hope to meet some of these wonderful friends from other countries in person one day. I find that plant people are very open to share and swap items in a honorable manner.

Let us, the few that are contributing here now, continue to post here and hopefully another member will show us his/her flowers that are better than mine. :D How is that for a challenge to get going folks out there.

Heinie
Cape Town
South Africa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:51 pm 

I've got about 200 belladona lilies in the ground, so in late summer I may be able to compete in quantity, if not quality. ;) Last year was their first and only a handful flowered, now that they're more established I expect more of them.

I meant gardenweb in the above post, I was investigating contingency options, but like I said all went well. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:42 pm 

I think I was more tired than I thought when I read what you said about GW. :? It makes perfect sense to me after a good break from taking care of my mother. I had the freedom to go work in my garden, so the exercise and extra sleep helped clear my head. Sorry.

I hope you'll post pictures of your Belladonna lilies when they bloom. You have some good competition with Heinie now. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:22 pm 

:) I noticed the original poster has run for the hills after opening this bag of worms! LOL

Heinie- I've actually avoided posting on the bulbs forum, your plants and photos are such high quality I'm afraid of "dumbing down" the forum! Just kidding of course, I very much appreciate the time and effort and content of your posts and hope I can add something soon.
Hopefully this weekend there will be an opening in the weather long enough for me to get a couple pictures of my common tulips and daffodil bulbs.

I guess all forums have their ups and downs. The format on this one is IMO superior, and I appreciate the lack of advertisement, active links, rolldowns and pop ups.... and whatever content I do post remains my property...... but on the other hand, over the past few years I have seen so many good members leave due to issues and conflicts. I can't think of any single reason why the rate seems so high here compared to other sites.

I must either have a really thick skin or I'm just too dense to pick up on any offenses that come my way.... I just keep coming back :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:42 pm 

I love this forum. It is hit or miss though. It seems like sometime you don't get a respoce and then a whole bunch. Probably pitty posts. But they are all helpful. I think it comes down to if you have time to be in the virtual world you are not working on your garden. No one has ever been rude and again all have been helpful. A smaller community = closer people. They know who you are. Kinda like Cheers the bar "everyone knows your name da da-da-da" :lol: Wonderful place to be, and glad I found it.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:10 am 
Administrator

FWI,
The Gardenforums.org is now owned by committee. We broke the ownership parts up to insure that big changes will at least be discussed. All members are volunteers and the service is paid by one of the committee members.
The goal is to share info, not get too stuffy, no ads, and no sneaky selling attempts. It is free to anyone and is monitored for problems( that are very few).
Josiah is the volunteer webmaster and keeps this ticking like a clock.
We simply want a place where like minded growers and collectors can utilize a wonderful international brain trust, easily, and without commercial stuff.
If your particular area of interest is not represented by enough folks--spread the word. There is room for all that need help or are willing to share knowledge.
The sign-up has been kept as easy as possible but with many netbots hitting every day Josiah still needs to filter or we would be inundated with garbage.
A committee member,
ArizonaEd

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:15 am 

Arizonaed,

Nice to know that it is still business as usual. We will continue sharing our plants and flowers here.

Heinie
Cape Town
South Africa

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:49 am 

I check in all the time, but haven't seen many new posts. We're all pretty busy this time of the year.

This has been my only source of information for awhile now. I enjoy the posters, and have gotten to "know" them to trust their opinions and advice. The other site, you may get answers from 20 people who many not know anything.