The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A winter project for spring
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:12 am 

My wife was making sauce the other day and I seen four tomato paste cans sitting in the sink. I decided to make a multi block soil blocker.

The nut and lock nut on the center all thread is for setting the block height. The distance between the nuts and handle, sets the block from zero to 3” high.

A view from the bottom.

It worked well enough but it was difficult to get four consistent blocks. I made 12 blocks and it was quicker than making them one at a time but not anywhere near four times quicker. Come spring, I am not sure which one I will be using. John

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:13 pm 

Amazing John!!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:48 pm 

Wow, I didn't see this back in December. That's a very impressive tool. I wonder if John put it to use this spring?

.... I also wonder why John's wife was using canned tomatoes, since I know he has a very productive garden!! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:56 pm 

Kato wrote:
Wow, I didn't see this back in December. That's a very impressive tool. I wonder if John put it to use this spring?

I was using it about an hour ago. The problem I was having geting consistant blocks was from the bottom of my soil container wasen't flat enough. It may be four times faster.

Kato wrote:
.... I also wonder why John's wife was using canned tomatoes, since I know he has a very productive garden!! :wink:

I am too old for a large garden and DW is too old to do any canning. We do a lot of freezing though. Dw is second generation from Italy so if you know whats good fer ya don't knock her sauce. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:53 pm 

What soil do you use for the blocks? Are they really hard packed and if they are not, how do they stay together?

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:37 pm 

Kmerrifi wrote:
What soil do you use for the blocks? Are they really hard packed and if they are not, how do they stay together?

I tried several "recipes" from the web but I have had the best success with MG potting soil not the seed starter. They are compressed slightly and can be moved about if you are careful. John

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:57 pm 

That sounds really great. I have been using the jiffy plastic containers. Mostly it has worked out ok, but I let my seedlings out in the very cold last month and they ALL died. UGH. So, I brought my new seeds inside and hope things work out. PA is tougher than I thought. I am not used to tricky springs. Now, I am going to wait until May 31. Local wisdom says that is when you can put plants in the ground.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:16 am 

"Jimmy" come lately here!! So you press the tool into the soil to pack them tight. How do you keep them from falling apart as you add seeds n water?

A very impresive looking machine, I might add!!

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:54 pm 

NiftyNabber wrote:
"Jimmy" come lately here!! So you press the tool into the soil to pack them tight. How do you keep them from falling apart as you add seeds n water?

A very impresive looking machine, I might add!!

They are quite easy to move around with a little care. There is a little divot on the top for seeds and I cover it with fine vermiculite.

When I make the blocks they are quite wet and do not add water until they have there second set of leaves. I use humidity domes for all my seedlings.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:55 am 

Nice!!