The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:41 pm 
Honestly - the "Serve Your Harvest" forum might as well be renamed the "Breezy Cookbook".

Don't any of you actually USE the vegetables you grow? Do you just boil them, can them, pull them up & compost them?????

I can't believe that I'm the only person here who actually COOKS!!!!!

Please people - chime in with your favorite recipes!!!!! PLEASE!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:11 pm 

i don't have enough space to grow too many vegy's...my yard is very narrow and i was so focused on plants/flowers that i didn't give fruits/vegys too much thought.

times have changed and i do want to do more - as it is now, i do tom's and peppers occassionally and have tried cantaloupe (unsuccessfully) and i've done carrots, peas, lettuce, too.

i need to rework my space. not only because some of the things i planted have outgrown their spots - i want to do fruits/vegy's on a regular basis and i'd like to have all the herbs in one spot as well.

i have a real dilema (sp? ) when it comes to reconfiguring the beds and/or adding in new, though. at some point, i'll post pics and ask for advice/suggestions on what to do.

in the mean time, i DO love to cook and can certainly post some of the recipe's i've come up with!!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:08 am 

I usually get home around 7pm, so dinner is already cooked and stuff from my garden went into it. Occasionally that causes contention "That leek was for seed!" but life goes on. Once I got 'pearl onions' that turned out be be immature garlic...but hey, I like garlic.

I do eat quite a bit of stuff in-situ (as do the kids who will gobble down fresh broccoli, peas and cauliflower). I'm still figuring out what grows well and improving my soil, so I don't have really massive harvests of many things, there's more variety than quantity, but I just harvested 40 some heads of garlic and there's all the mustard, chard and fava beans I could eat right now. There's been lots of lettuce too, but 'put bleu cheese dressing on it' would be kind of lame in the recipe section. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:58 am 
Joclyn - I'd LOVE to see your veggie recipes over on "Serving Your Harvest".

And Promethean - do ask your SO to part with recipes in which she's used your veggies - meant for seed or not - lol! Simple or not - the more folks know what they can do with different veggies, the more things they'll try to grow. For instance, I've neither grown nor even tasted Fava beans & would love to know how you enjoy them. Please consider posting some info over on "Serving Your Harvest". :)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:19 pm 

It's an interesting question -- I use my harvest, but not in a way that requires a recipe. I eat most things I grow raw (for example, salad leaves or carrots) or steamed (for example, broccoli, peas or beans). I like my veggies prepared simply. I do make tomato sauce, but that's the only thing I can think of that I make that's more involved, and even for that, I don't really follow a recipe, I just dump and taste until I think it's right.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:35 pm 

Spinach recipe

1) Go to the garden, pinch off several leaves
Roll up into a a nice tight roll.
Eat it on the spot!

Add a kale leaf to make it crunchy.

2) Later in the year, add carrots & broccoli to the center of the roll.

"3) For God's sake - visit your local library & actually READ some gardening books. And/or do some research online re: BASIC garden RECIPES. In the long run you'll end up not only enjoying your gardening more, but you might actually end up"
WITH SOME NEW RECIPES :) :shock: :roll: :twisted: :twisted:

HI BREEZY

LOVE YOU

DAVE

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:50 pm 

Are you kidding, the kitchen is as foreign to me as the garden is to my DW. She cooks/preserves and I grow, and never the twain shall meet.

John

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:35 pm 

I have dried veggies and fruits just to experiment. Made powders from the dried veggies to experiment using it as a thickener in gravys and soups.

oo... that one year we first moved here and I couldn't locate my seeds in the unpacking.. my husband and daughter surprised me with having planted the garden all by themselves. Yep... they planted it alright... zukes, cukes and pattypan squash cause my daughter thought the flowers were so pretty.

Stuffed squash... carve off top of pattypan and hollow it out and salt & pepper it. Sautee in a little olive oil a mix of diced veggies quickly (usually did onion, carrot, peppers, zucchini or crookneck) a clove of crushed garlic, bit of parmesan, lil salt & pepper & quartered grape tomatoes... stuffed the pattypan and baked it at 350 for roughly 30 minutes. (time depended on the size of the pattypans.

Blended herbs with a little olive oil and froze them in ice cube trays... then stored in ziplocks in the freezer. I do TONS of that every year in all kinds of combinations. Thaw and toss on hot pasta with some parmesan. Some combinations I that to use in marinades... some I stick still frozen under the skin of turkey or chicken when I roast them so it self bastes. Thawed and tossed with quartered new potatoes and roasted. Thawed... then heated a tiny bit in microwave (gets a bit brighter green and more strong flavor)... add vinegar, salt & pepper and more olive oil for a vinegrette. It goes on and on.

Tomatoes don't last long in my house. My daughter can devour them endlessly. I am lucky if it makes it from the garden in to the house.

Stuffed zucchini, breaded and fried zucchini slices, sauteed in olive oil with grape tomatoes topped with parmesan, basil and sometimes chives. Marinated in italian dressing and then grilled. zucchini breads.... tried once to make fritters and failed lol

Garlic, ginger green beans... my favorite. Little olive oil to sautee green beans in.. salt & pepper... add crushed garlic fresh grated ginger in at the last few minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:57 pm 

Oh I love to cook and try new recipes but just haven't gotten around to posting any here YET. I very rarely cook without a recipe (HA)

I eat my harvest. We have harvested so far cucumbers, zuchini and peppers. We have tomatoes but only green one. But how many lOVE fried green tomatoes. They are easy to make. Just dip in egg, then cornmeal OR breadcrumbs, and fry. YUM YUM!!

I've been making a salad with onions, cucumbers, basil and tomatoes. I used a already prepared vinegarette which is Carrots and ginger. When I bought it I thought I don't know if I like carrots and ginger vinegarette, but oh boy is it fanastic. It pars well with the tomatoes and cucumber too.

It is recipe for a tomato tart, I saw it on the food channel. I haven't printed out the recipe yet but will do it soon. Then I share it with you all.

We just planted swiss chard and beets (seeds)

We have raised beds and they are 4 small size ones.

We just harvested about 9 cucumber. I'm going to make taboli. It is bulgur wheat, onions, parsley, tomatoes cucumber chopped fine, and cold water and vegetable oil. You have to let it refrigerate at least 6 hours in a covered container. Else it will be gritty.

And I have a herb garden too. I picked thyme, parsley and sage today. I'm using the sage and parsley in my beef stew 2nite. And the thyme I'm going to add to my loaf of white bread I'm making 2morrow also with flax seed.

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:45 pm 

Chard is some awesome stuff, I grow the white and red (rhubarb) kinds but have found the red stalked chard to have a milder flavor. I think the white chard I have may be more for the stalks than the leaves since the stalks are much fatter on the white chard.

The rhubarb chard is certainly a looker too:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:14 am 

Looks good! You have quite the variety in the first picture. Chard is one vegie I have never grown.

Last edited by luv2grdn on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:59 am 

Grew some chard this year. How do you cook it?
I was going to steam it like spinach, will that work?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 am 

bogydave wrote:
Grew some chard this year. How do you cook it?
I was going to steam it like spinach, will that work?

I grew chard this year also. Would like some more recipe also.

From the Short Estate
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:58 pm 

Yes, you can steam chard. You can also chop it in fine shreds and saute it with butter, finely sliced onion and garlic.

Another way we've eaten it is steamed and well drained, then wrap it up with sour cream, raw onion and grated cheese.

We actually don't grow spinach anymore since it bolts so fast. We substitue chard for any spinach recipe as long as it's cooked.

Raw chard in small proportions in a salad is great, but some people don't like the coarser texture, so a whole salad made out of it would depend on the family's taste.

It's great spritzed with lime juice.

We often chop some to add to omelets, Italian dishes and garnish cottage cheese, mashed potatoes or any cream soup with it.

Post subject: Re: Leather Breaches beans
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:53 pm 

Not as dietetic as some veggies dishs but certainly no worse than the old standard of beans cream o mushroom soup and frenches onion rings.

Before canning, drying was often the only option for tender veggies. This originated in the south-east as a use for "leather breaches" (dried green beans)

2 pounds greenbeans cleaned and snapped.
1/4 pound bacon minced
1 large onioned chopped
salt scant
pepper to taste
1/4 cup chicken stock or dry wine of your liking

Clean and snap beans.
Fry up bacon drain off some lard and saute onions in with browned bacon.
Season to taste.
Add beans and liquid to fry pan cook till tender.
Eat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:30 pm 

that sounds really yummy, tom!! (and i don't even like greenbeans!!)

i wonder, could some other type of bean be substituted?? and, if so, which one or ones?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 am 

jocyln, You don't like green beans!!!! Wow!! What not to like?? (HA)

A friend of mine doesn't like sweet potatoes... I never knew anybody who didn't like sweet potatoes either...

:D :) :( :o :shock: :lol: :P :roll:

From the Short Estate
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:35 pm 

joclyn wrote:
that sounds really yummy, tom!! (and i don't even like greenbeans!!)

i wonder, could some other type of bean be substituted?? and, if so, which one or ones?

It aught to work with flat pod Italian beans, greasy beans, cut beans. in fact it most likely started with cuts or greasy's.

I suspect whatcher asking is would this work with shelly beans or black eyed peas?. Inasmuch as they don't need to much cooking to make em tender, and recalling old Daisy at the range, I'd bump up the liquid just a bit and simmer till tender.

A hint.
A common condiment is a spash of the brine from pepperoncini peppers, and or tobasco sauce on this kind of shelly bean side dish.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:34 pm 

Hi Breezy
Sorry I like my veggies real simple. found a great way to do spinach.
Pick it, get a frying pan hot. No oil no butter, nothing
wash spinach and drop in hot pan,
stir until it turns a dark green and eat. simple and i love the taste.
the hardest part is not snacking on it and having some left for the table