The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:16 pm 

Hey, just got a chance to update my journal :D . Please look and comment, positive or negative will be appreciated and any additions will be appreciated, I am sure I overlooked a few :wink: .

John

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:45 pm 

Good article. Don't take much to grow some of your own food. (you need to add " IT'S FUN")

Reminds me of my early years. Garden was a family project, from planting to weeding, hoeing & harvesting. Mom would get out the canning jars, we'd pick & clean the green beans, beets, carrots, corn, cucs etc. All dated & stored on shelves in the root cellar. Then buy & butcher a hog, which was canned or cured (some frozen but not much). For very little money, you can eat pretty good. I still say every now & then, "I didn't know poor people ate so good" when we are having our own salmon, broccoli, potatoes, carrots for a meal. Nice thing is, I know what & where it came from. No "country of origin" or a list of "contents" on the package. (I freeze instead of can)

John, you are right. Not allot of $, space or effort required. Especially when you factor in the quality & freshness of the food you grow yourself. Time in a garden is allot better spent than time in front of a TV.

I get nervous about our food safety when I learn about all the different chemicals used by large farms to control pests, weeds & plant growth. Pesticides & herbicides from imported foods have no controls (not that the EPA can test everything)

Post subject: Exactly
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:50 pm 

I freeze and can both..I want to know what i am eating and giving my family, and have encouraged my kids to go back to the "old" ways..some do :) and we have a great time doing it as a family. We NEED to get back to the basics! in my opinion. I saw my Grandparents, Aunts, etc do it...and life was good.. :)

John..going to read your journel again..enjoyed it the first time :) ..leanred a lot..TY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:51 pm 

I freeze and can both..I want to know what i am eating and giving my family, and have encouraged my kids to go back to the "old" ways..some do :) and we have a great time doing it as a family. We NEED to get back to the basics! in my opinion. I saw my Grandparents, Aunts, etc do it...and life was good.. :)

John..going to read your journel again..enjoyed it the first time :) ..learned a lot..TY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:59 pm 

John..going to read your journel again..enjoyed it the first time :) ..learned a lot..TY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:00 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:33 pm 

Country of origin bugs me a lot too. Our natural food store was bought out, once again, by Whole Foods and they've been switching to their brands and getting rid of others to make room. One switch they did was to get rid of Cascadian Farms frozen produce, which is from Seattle. We've bought that brand for years, because we prefer to support a company from our side of the country and one that supports organic farming. I bought a couple of bags of the WF brand and was reading the package one night only to find that it was from another country! They boast about their fresh local produce, but several of their brands are from other countries and they get rid of one local brand. I hope I can some day get my health back enough to grow more of my own like I used to do. Our local farmers market doesn't have much in the way of organics, otherwise I'd stock my freezer that way.

Sorry John! Not what you were after.

I tried posting a comment in your journal, but it wouldn't go through (unless it did overnight). I wanted to add a chipper/shredder to your list. I finally got a good one this year and it sure cuts down on the waste and incorporates it back into the garden, no hauling it off somewhere else or burning it.

I also couldn't be without my garden cart. It's well balanced over 2 large wheels, so it's easy to pull or push and can hold a lot. It's like these:
http://www.homesteadhelpers.com/get_ite ... -carts.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:25 pm 

L2G, Ypur comment went through fine. Thanks John

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:44 pm 

Sorry for the repeat then. It sure wouldn't show up for me last night and I didn't check it this morning. Hope it was helpful at least. :?

Post subject: :-(sorry
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:48 am 

I thought one posted for each section of journal??? or something hiccuped..sorry for multi..I don't know what happened..I did only post that once..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:37 am 

I wonder if it was a problem with the site since I was having problems too. One of my posts on the forums vanished too.