The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:32 pm 

Last night when I looked outside & saw ice on the windshield, I ran to the garden with a flashlight to get the last few zucs.
Was the first frost of the year for this area. Weatherman said rain, but was clear & frost till ?. (It was raining when I got up this AM).
Will be digging potatoes soon. Was not as warm a summer as normal but still got lots of good garden eating.
Had a fresh moose, carrot & potato stew yesterday. Mmmmm.

How long after a frost till potatoes are ready to dig & store? I know there is some kind of transformation to the potato but no sure what & how long to wait after the plant dies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:46 am 

Hi bogy, have not herd from you in awhile. :D Like most gardeners on this forum, I think everybody is busy jumping through there buts this time of year. You can dig the spuds any time. I would let them lay on the surface for a couple of days to toughen up the skins a little. You may want to cover them with some thing loose to protect them from the sun and frost. Don’t let them freeze though. As far as storage, I don’t know anything about Alaska’s conditions/ requirements, maybe some one from AK or at least familiar with AK can answer that. I am sure that you have different requirements than me, like critters for example. :roll:

John

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:24 am 

People around here will dig them up after the plants die back and clean them off and then spread them out on a table in the garage, covered with newspaper to dry off and toughen the skin. That's if your garage doesn't get down to freezing.

Was that moose one that frequented your yard? :wink:
How is their meat? I've only had deer. Your health must be pretty good with all the fresh fish and game you have access to. Much better than human grown! Enjoy the harvest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:04 pm 

Been busy like everyone else. Getting ready for winter (fall now but it only lasts 3 - 4 weeks here). Snow working it's way down the mountains. Clearing most of the garden to the compost bins. Butcher & wrapping freezing moose. Freezing fish, broccoli, peas, raspberries etc. Freezer almost full.
It's been raining the past few days so I plan to wait till it dries up some before I dig the potatoes & carrots. Though the light frost did not kill the potato plants.
I normally let them dry in the garage, then box them. Store in a cool, dry, dark for storage. Somewhere I was told to wait till after a frost kills the plants to dig potatoes. (may be an ole "wives tale")
Moose was not one from my yard, he never came back during moose season. We flew out remote for a week hunt. Got a small bull. 400 lbs of meat average per moose. I got 125 lbs of moose burger + about 70 lbs of steaks & roasts.
Good a Sarah Palin says it is, her favorite meal is a moose burger. Not "gamie" tasting like deer, more tender & like a lean range beef flavor. I've ate a variety of game: deer, elk, buffalo, caribou, Mt goat, Dall sheep, antelope & moose. To me, Moose is 2nd but only after Dall sheep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:02 am 

It sounds like you're all set to be snowed in for a while. :wink: You must save a lot of money on food. There are no hunters in my family, so we buy all of our meat and we don't get the standard grocery store meats. I might buy a portion of a grass fed cow to save a little. It tastes so much better.

Moose sounds like a tasty meat. I have a couple of friends in Alaska, so one of these days I'll have to pay them a visit and try some moose somewhere. One friend's husband flies people into the remote areas, but I don't know how far he travels or where all he picks up people from. They live in Anchorage, only because that's where the jobs are.

Have you decided whether or not you'll change how you manage your soil, till or no till, etc.? Just curious.