The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What to Plant
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:05 pm 

I live in Central Arkansas (in the United States of America to anyone across the Big Water), and I'm wondering what I can plant here since I am moving. I am moving into a new house in the same area, but since I'm moving, I can't plant a garden until the first of June. This will be getting pretty close to the hottest part of the summer. All of that being said, what can I plant. I love fruit and veggies, and don't want to miss this planting season.

"Jesus is the only way to God, but We are not the only way to Jesus." -Casting Crowns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm 

if you start peppers now (to give them long enough to grow), they will definitely do well in the summer sun. you could do squash, too. yellow crook-neck does really well and doesn't take too long to mature.
and don't forget herbs!

-ming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:55 pm 
Since you're going to be busy packing & such for your move - don't even bother starting seeds. Not worth the time or effort if you're moving in June. Just visit your local nursery, pick up some plants - tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, squash, herbs - whatever they have, & plant them in the largest containers you have on hand or can pick up.

Even though I have a garden, I always plant deck containers of vegetables in case something (weather or critters) devastates the garden proper. Plus, it's kind of nice to have veggies & herbs right outside the door.

That said, June 1 really isn't that far into the season. I bet you'll still find nurseries with veggie plants - & most probably if not definitely on sale. In fact, I always hit the nurseries around that time for sale veggie plants, & they always manage to catch up to my earlier ones.

Your choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:49 pm 

If the soil and clouds are willing, you can still plant okra, southern peas (like purple hulls), bush limas, sweet potatoes, watermelons, and asparagus beans (yard long beans). They need a trellis, but the 'Red Noodle' variety is awesome. Throw basil seeds on summer-warm ground, and they will grow. Then, around the 4th of July, try pest-resistant winter squash like butternuts, or pumpkins if you dare.

Then start broccoli and its cousins indoors, because the best season to grow them there is Aug to Oct. In August you can try some fast-maturing bush beans. September will be great for all kinds of leafy greens, too.

You have plenty of growing season left!