The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:25 am 

Hi everyone,
We moved into this property in Fall last year. I've got the area for my vegetable garden picked out (about the only area I can do it, with good sunlight). Problem is, when we moved in last fall, I noticed many underground holes in the area (either ants or bees), and many wasps hanging out in that area.

I want to till the area as soon as possible this year, I'm just worried that I might be tilling along, and hit an underground nest. Any suggestions?
I'm in southwest Ohio. It has been below 0 for several days now, not sure if that would help kill them?

Thanks for the help
Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:45 am 

I'm no expert, but they may or may not over-winter. You can't till until the ground is thawed and a little dry and if they're there they should begin to become active again. Just wander around, find the holes and keep a watch for any activity....and if there is, mark to spray at dusk. In any case, if they're not active, they'll be slow enough so as not to be a big threat....still, keep your guard up.

(I remember a few years ago while mowing the back lawn as a neared a given spot, there was some insects flying about. Then I got too close (or ran over it) and the yellow jackets came at me. I got stung about 10 or 12 times head and back, had to bail off the mower and run for it. That night I sprayed the hole/nest and the following day, dug out a melon sized nest! I hate yellow jackets.)