The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Specialty Compost
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:25 pm 

I've been saving all the kitchen scraps, eggs shells, beet, been, pea
scraps from the freeing process & putting it in the the small compost bin.
I was almost done & shrunk down to a tight 14" deep layer
I even threw in some fish scraps earlier this spring. (no smell when I mixed it )

I mixed the bin, shoveled it to on side & chopped & added the GH plants with some leaves & grass then sprinkled the older compost over it in layers.
Hoping for some compost with the nutrients that the next crop of toms & cucs need & can easily get from the soil. Plan to add it to the soil boxes in the GH when it's done.
1st time doing this but it seemed logical, "Green house specialty compost".
What do yuns think? Worth the effort?

Attachments:
100_6711.JPG
100_6711.JPG [ 409.25 KiB | Viewed 529 times ]
100_6709.JPG
100_6709.JPG [ 321.05 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]

Post subject: Re: Specialty Compost
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:21 pm 

Of course it's worth the effort! I have 2 bins that I continually add kitchen scraps to, along with weeds (not going to seed) and other odds and ends. I raked up the debris off part of our road this year, which consists of needles from the conifers and leaves, and I've been adding some of that each time I put in scraps. Cars aren't on that part very often, so no worries about oil or anything. I end up with a lot of eggshells in the finished batch, so I don't know how long it takes them to break down completely, but I figure they might deter the slugs some. Once 1 bin is full, I start filling the other. It's a slow process since I don't do much to it, but it comes out nice once it's done.

Post subject: Re: Specialty Compost
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:56 pm 

This bin was up to 125°, with 22° night temps & near 40° days. So it's cooking.
It may be to late in the season to get it up around 140 since it's a smaller bin & only about 2-1/2 feet high.
My big compost bin (a mix & layers of all the garden plants, leaves & grass) was at 145 yesterday, cooking seeds temps. :)
It's 5'X5' & I had it stacked well over full, (around 5-1/2' high). It shrinks noticeably every few days so I know it's working. I'm out of stuff to add, mowed the grass the last time, leaves are all picked up, neighbors leaves are all picked up & the garden is empty. Hoping for a few yards of good compost. I usually shrinks to about a 2-1/2 foot high bin by Spring. Then,the first Spring yard mowing, I add the green grass clippings to get it cooking & it's done by August & I empty & start a new batch.