The Garden Forums

<  Composting, Mulch, and Soils  ~  New Composter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:43 pm
Good evening!

Three weeks ago I started a worm bin. That is doing good. My next project is composting outside. I'm in the middle of making a compost tumbler. My yard is not large. I have already utilize all the "good" areas. One problem I have is that I produce a lot of yard waste. Grass clippings (sometimes) flower clippings, leaves, etc. Then mid-summer/fall I can veggies so have lots of scraps. My tumbler will not be able to handle all that. What can I do with them??

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:19 pm
Will the tumbler be in the only place you have a space for composting? If so, I would put in a compost bin instead and that way you'd have more area for compost since the tumbler will not be down to the ground, therefore wasting that space underneath it. Make sense?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:41 pm
That does make since. Only problem is appearance. Any suggestions?

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:54 am
If you google "compost bins" you'll get many ideas and possibly find what you have in mind. I have some made out of wire fencing, the simplest to make, but you might not like the looks of it in your yard. You can always plant some shrubs or vines to conceal it from view, just depends on how much room you have. The following site shows what a wire bin will look like and has a few other ideas.
http://extension.missouri.edu/publicati ... px?P=G6957

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:49 am
User avatarJoined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:22 pmPosts: 5152Location: Tucson, Arizona
luv,
Thanks for the great site on bins.
gridworm,
In my opinion the "Snow Fence" constuction would give you latitude, to some degree (had to say it), utilizing the space you have available. The fence could also be home to a few hanging decorations outside or a fancy paint job.
Keep you squirmies happy,
AZED

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:41 pm
Girdworm --

Not sure if you ever picked up a bin or not but after using a bin for a few years, I have switched to actually just making a pile on the ground.

If built properly, I am able to compost more stuff in a smaller area. Personally, a 4'x4'x4' pile sticks out a look less then a compost bin from 50 yards away...

Just my two cents.... John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:29 am
gridworm wrote:
Good evening!

Three weeks ago I started a worm bin. That is doing good. My next project is composting outside. I'm in the middle of making a compost tumbler. My yard is not large. I have already utilize all the "good" areas. One problem I have is that I produce a lot of yard waste. Grass clippings (sometimes) flower clippings, leaves, etc. Then mid-summer/fall I can veggies so have lots of scraps. My tumbler will not be able to handle all that. What can I do with them??

What about digging a trench in front of your garden beds and composting in there? Here is a link to someone's blog who does just that:

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/large- ... ng-trench/

Bentley describes how the plants put their roots into the trench and suck out the liquid and nutrients. It seems to save space and work.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:07 pm
Thanks for that link. Interesting idea if you can get enough scraps for it. I might have problems with coons, though since they get into everything that isn't contained. I suppose I could cover it with chicken wire or something to keep them out of it. Then there are the moles who would love to feast on the worms, so maybe it wouldn't work for me unless I line the bottom with something to keep the moles out. I'll have to give it some thought.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:38 pm
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:50 pmPosts: 57Location: SE Michigan
Another thing to keep in mind re the 'visual' of the bin or the pile is that many things just *love* growing with their roots at the base of a compost heap, and many will vine over it or otherwise grow up to help cover it. Many kinds of squashes, herbs like borage and comfrey, other flowering vines and sprawlers, can really help with making the heap or bin a lot less unsightly. But they are temporary, and will not get in the way of later changes.

To find your roots, get your hands in soil. To live fully in the present, imagine your garden and make it happen. To see all of reality, spend some time sitting quietly in the garden.... Then get your hands back in the dirt.
Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:20 pm
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:29 pmPosts: 1357Location: Sunol, CA (9B)
Since my summers are very dry, I generally re-use all my yard-waste for mulch rather than compost - it's really the same thing in the end. Kitchen scraps make for unsightly mulch though, so they go into a bin or get buried, I'll often dump scraps thinly in an area that I intend to spade over in the near future. There isn't really enough kitchen waste to warrant a detailed plan for the stuff.

Offline Profile