The Garden Forums

<  Composting, Mulch, and Soils  ~  Starting new compost bin from 2009 garden plants

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm
Now I'm starting the next batch. I start with a layer of fresh grass clipping & leaves from mowing the yard where there are lots of leaves.
Attachment:
09 nw grd cmp1.JPG
09 nw grd cmp1.JPG [ 464.09 KiB | Viewed 8 times ]

Then I throw in a layer of garden plants & mix it up best I can.
Attachment:
09 nw grd cmp2.JPG
09 nw grd cmp2.JPG [ 463.29 KiB | Viewed 8 times ]

Then I put some of the compost I've been making from kitchen scraps (lot of working bugs in it) & a wheel barrow load of HM & mix a little more. & add the air pipes (2" PVC with lots of 1/2" holes drilled in it). I don't add any water (my thinking is the plants & kitchen compost have plenty of moisture) (I'll add some water when I mix it in the spring)
Attachment:
09 nw grd cmp3.JPG
09 nw grd cmp3.JPG [ 379.18 KiB | Viewed 8 times ]

As more garden plants get thrown in later I add grass, leaves HM & kitchen compost & mix the new layer best I can. It is pretty fluffy with all the air pockets.
When all done it'll be almost 6 feet high & cook until it's too cold & freezes. Probably late Dec.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:52 am
That should cook pretty well. The grass and leaf mix alone looks pretty good. I don't end up with much grass when I start mowing up the leaves, so it's a cold pile most of the time.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:13 pm
Over 4 feet high now. It will almost shrink 50%, then I top it off with grass/leaves as I mow.
Noticed steam this AM coming out of the pipes :). The leaves & grass heat up pretty quick & hopefully will get the rest of the pile "cooking"

(cooking: Compost term- heat up, get hot from bacterial & chemical action breaking down the organics in the pile.
( I learned it from Breezy when I first go on this site & was learning how to make compost better)

I try to Remember, NOT TOO WET. Damp is key to getting it cooking, so I didn't add any water.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:26 pm
User avatarJoined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14 amPosts: 106Location: Ontario
Quote:
Over 4 feet high now. It will almost shrink 50%, then I top it off with grass/leaves as I mow.
Noticed steam this AM coming out of the pipes :). The leaves & grass heat up pretty quick & hopefully will get the rest of the pile "cooking"

Something I found this year, adding Corn meal will speed things up, it's a very good compost accelerator and definitely helps with the rot down. Sprinkle it between the layers and damp it down.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:24 pm
I'll try it.
Speeding it up here anytime is helpful with winter coming
Thanks