The Garden Forums

<  Composting, Mulch, and Soils  ~  Using vermiculite to increase humidity in dry areas ??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:40 am
User avatarJoined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:32 pmPosts: 26Location: Southern Greece
Hello, I am a newcomer.

I have an outside area where I have made a pergkola, but it's at least 20 min drive from my place. Thing is that greek summer is very hot and dry, the soil dries too easily. This will give me a hard time keeping the relatively youngish vines alive, especially if I leave for some days on vaccation. [I could not transplant them early in spring as aproapriate] ...

I have been using naylon over the roots of the more sensitive Actinidia, but I already lost one of them.

I was thinking about vermiculite. Could I consider it?

Any opinions welcome

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:22 pm
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:29 pmPosts: 1357Location: Sunol, CA (9B)
Here we have stuff called 'oil-dry' for soaking up oil spills, and some kitty litters are made of the same stuff - chunks of diatomecious rock. It's cheaper than vermiculite and says on the bag it can be used in the garden for moisture retention. You may be able to find the same stuff there.

Liberal amounts of mulch will also help and build up the soil at the same time.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:03 pm
User avatarJoined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:37 pmPosts: 70Location: Calgary, AB
A good layer of mulch would be the way to go. In most garden centres here in Canada you can get shredded coconut husk mulch which really soaks up moisture. I use some at the base of my trees and it does a good job in the summer.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:36 am
Thanks for replies... Any idea if vermiculite would be any good though??? There's vermi available, so it won't be costy... it's kind of a quick solution.... to get through this really hot month [august, maybe some september too]

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:20 pm
User avatarJoined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:48 pmPosts: 41
Vermiculite is one component in the mix that Mel Bartholomew, the square foot garden guru, recommends. As I recall, it's function in the mix is to aid in drainage. It doesn't retain water, it creates air spaces in the mix that water can pass through. I'm not sure that it would solve your problem. I don't think it would hurt though either, if you wanted to try it.

To retain more water, I think you need to add as much organic material as you can, and use mulch. The organic material would absorb water and hold it.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:26 pm
ok, thanks a lot

Offline Profile E-mail