The Garden Forums

<  Composting, Mulch, and Soils  ~  soil smells like Methane...

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:24 pm
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:57 pmPosts: 24Location: NYC- zone 6/ Shohola PA-5
So I did some planting today. I was beginning to plant some annuals in a container that I have hanging off my fence.There already was some weeds sprouting in the container. As i was digging some holes, I began to smell a methane smell. Similar to the smell of natural gas. It was coming from the planter. It is a self watering container and I left it out all winter. Do you think the soil turned rancid or do you think the smell is coming for the reservoir?

Peter

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:41 am
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:02 pmPosts: 1162Location: philly
it's probably from excess water being stuck in the planter over the winter...i have a couple planters (that sit on the ground) that don't drain all that well and i left them in a spot where they got rained on, then it froze, and, when it defrosted, and then rained again and refilled them, they stank to high heaven.

i'd recommend taking the planter completely apart and washing it well and using fresh soil.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:44 am
Methane is a regular visitor to garbage dumps and sometimes you'll see chimneys have been driven in to release it, sometimes too they are allowed to burn off excess under controlled conditions.
But in a small pot, I doubt such build-up of gas could cause someone to notice it.
Late in the season, there's always some hanging on bits of waste that can, I suppose, rot down and cause a smell. I don't know whether I'd call it methane....what does methane smell like.
Ammonia smells can emanate from compost piles when not in a fnished state. Ammonia I know what it smells like.
Not to put anybody at risk, but why not just touch a match to the top of the soil---see if there's a reaction.

Offline Profile E-mail