The Garden Forums

<  Composting, Mulch, and Soils  ~  Compost Tea.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:21 am
User avatarJoined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14 amPosts: 106Location: Ontario
I am a newbie to this forum, but I see no reference to Compost Tea, strange?
Does anyone here have anything to do with Compost Tea?
I have questions?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:44 am
User avatarJoined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:43 amPosts: 284Location: Zone 5B Pennsylvania
I am not a believer in compost tea. I figure, why leach some of the goodies from the compost when that compost will be put in the beds where the veggies grow. :roll: I think MN and the worms will do a better job than I would. :wink:

John

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:35 pm
User avatarJoined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:37 amPosts: 912Location: Zone 6/7, Culpeper, VA
I agree. I used to make & use it years ago before I really got into making lots of regular compost, & found it to be a smelly, messy, unpleasant method of applying the exact same nutrients that earthy, easy-to-use, pleasant compost does.

No more compost tea for me!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:20 pm
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:08 pmPosts: 187Location: Zone 5
Hi Beeman,

I see you've posted in the Vermiculture forum, too, where there are a number of archived discussions and related posts on using teas. Maybe do a search on avct, which is what most vermiculturists who make the tea prefer.

I've never done it myself, but you'd pick up some info there and most certainly be able to ask questions. Well, correction, I have done the stinky method, but agree with the other responses here - not much point.

However, claims are being made that the avct method is very good, something to do with the ability to substantially increase the microbe level over and above the normal microbe levels in castings and compost. No stink, either, because of the use of aerators. You should find it an interesting read.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:55 pm
User avatarJoined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:14 amPosts: 106Location: Ontario
love2garden wrote:
However, claims are being made that the avct method is very good, something to do with the ability to substantially increase the microbe level over and above the normal microbe levels in castings and compost. No stink, either, because of the use of aerators. You should find it an interesting read.

That's what I was looking for, certainly not the leachate method which I understand can pass on dangerous pathogens. I was/am still looking for someone who has/will use it to suppress disease, my garden suffers with Fusarium wilt, and to date I haven't found an answer to it. They say that Compost Tea sprayed over foliage feeds the plant and also suppresses a long list of both fungal and bacterial problems. There is hope Compoat Tea will help.
Still looking for an advocate.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:44 am
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:02 amPosts: 8Location: North Carolina
Compost tea works if it is correctly made. Just adding any old compost and letting it sit is not the way to do it. The only real way to know is to make some and next day air it to a lab to have the oxygen levels and the bacteria check for good guys and bad guys. That is unless you are good with a microscope and dissolved oxygen meter. It works good on giant vegetables and fruits but I dont know about the Fusarium, that stuff is pretty bad. Foliar sprays of liquid seaweed helps with keeping alot of fungus' at bay. From my understanding about F.W. you have to fog your soil. I dont know alot about that though, Ive never had to do it and hope I dont. Just my 2 pennys though.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:19 pm
User avatarJoined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:15 pmPosts: 46Location: Cold Alaska/Zone 3
I make lots of compost tea. I use a 5-gal plastic bucket. Fill it about 1/4 to 1/3 with finished compost, a double handfull of alfalfa pellets, a couple glugs of molasses and water. I use an aquarium pump with air stones. After about 48 hours it's all foamy and ready to use. No foul odor ever. Plants seem to like it.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:37 pm
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:35 pmPosts: 162Location: NH zone 4/5
[quote="Sherry_AK"]I make lots of compost tea. I use a 5-gal plastic bucket. Fill it about 1/4 to 1/3 with finished compost, a double handfull of alfalfa pellets, a couple glugs of molasses and water. I use an aquarium pump with air stones. After about 48 hours it's all foamy and ready to use. No foul odor ever. Plants seem to like it.

Compost tea and what is lovingly described as "poo poo balls" ie kelp and cottonseed or alfalfa pellets, for bonsai were the last I used that sort of soluble organic fertilizer. For my pet trees I only use osmocote time release pellets now. I get much less rodent damage over the winter as a result. Mind I'm not eating my bonsai...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:16 pm
User avatarJoined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:15 pmPosts: 46Location: Cold Alaska/Zone 3
And these days there just aren't nearly enough occasions to say "poo poo balls"!!! I will try to work that one into conversation ... I like the sound of it!

Rodent damage (relative to compost tea) isn't a concern to me since my tomato plants are seasonal. And most of the perennials are cut to the ground in Fall, so no concern there either. I hadn't really thought about it before, but can't say that I notice increased damage to the rose bushes or other bushes when I feed with tea.

And a sad story about our only little bonsai (Japanese maple). I started it from a cutting and nursed it along. My husband planted it in a nice container and we set it outside for the season. About a week later a squirrel ate it down to about 1/2" tall. All that was left was a little nub of a stem. We were not amused! (But it had never been fed compost tea.)

Sherry

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:35 pm
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:35 pmPosts: 162Location: NH zone 4/5
Ground up kelp, cotton seed meal, and alfalfa pellets get dumped into a bucket with a little added water. A heavy paste gets made from the resulting mush--this has earned the comic name of 'poo poo' with reason.

It mostly works as a slowly soluble fertilizer.

If it has a problem mice voles etc love to too, and tend to tear up pots to live near to the buffet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:02 pm
I used the method on Shameless self-promotion to start out with. It worked so well that I bought a compost tea brewer off of a link on that website, at a great sales price. I would recommend purchasing the brewer if you have the money, but the directions on the website work just as well.

Offline Profile E-mail
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:35 pm
User avatarJoined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:52 amPosts: 5285Location: UK
Quote:
Fusarium wilt

I don't think compost tea is going to cure this disease. In fact any plant which has it is a goner. Of course anything which makes plants stronger can help reduce the chances of infection. Not by much though :)

There are several interesting biological approaches to controlling Fusarium, still very much experimental. Even GM crops are being developed. You might want to google, but don't spend too much money on some antibiotic-releasing aphid or gene-therapy for your tomatoes just yet :twisted:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:38 am
Compost tea is really simple to make, materials to use can just be improvised that are found inside your house, here are some helpful guides in making compost tea or worm compost tea.
:arrow:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Red-Wiggler-wor ... e-Worm-Tea

http://hubpages.com/hub/Using-Red-Worms ... g-Worm-Tea
8)

Offline Profile E-mail