The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:29 pm 

Hi everyone! I am new here. Found this great site from google searching. I collect Clematis and this is the second year that some kind of rodent has chewed the base of ALL of my vines. This happens right after the first springs vigorous growth spurt and the first buds are opening. In one to two days every plant appears wilted. Upon inspection of the base of the plants it looks as though someone has cut through the vines clean with a pair of scissors. Could it be either chipminks or a vole/shrew? This year being totally frustrated I put rings of wire mesh around the base of each plant in hopes that the vines will regrow so I can at least enjoy some blooms later on this season. I'm in western Massachusetts. Now I am VERY curious what animal would do this to 8 differnt plants in two days. It also chewed a moonflower vine right off. Any ideas what animal this would be so I can prevent this next year? I do not believe it is a rabbit. I do have chipmunks here. Would they do this? Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Jane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:33 pm 

welcome, janek!

i don't know what would be eating the clematis...i did send a note to someone who might know, and will post whatever info he responds with.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:08 pm 

Thank you so much. I look forward to hearing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:55 pm 

dan said it would be mice or rabbits and also that it's not a common occurance.

might be that there's a nest or burrow right near where the clematis is and they're just making the most of the situation :( i'd take a look to see if you can see anything and maybe try to evict them...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:00 pm 

Thanks Joclyn and Dan !

My Clematis plants are along the walkway to my kitchen door which is between the house and the garage. In front of the clematis is myrtle and blue rug juniper along the walkway. It was only the clematic that was chewed except for the moom flower. (both this year and last) Nothing else was touched and I have a lot of flowers and plants. There was a chipmunk burrow a few yards away that I filled in with moth balls. We also used a have a heart box trap and moved 6 munks out to another location. I am really stumped - this is the second year in a row that this has happened. I will keep the metal mesh rings around the base of each clematis from now on. Just really curious what critter is doing this. I'll just have to keep investigating. Last year we caught a family of shrews in this same spot. Maybe there are more and they are doing the chewing?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:52 am 

That would be disappointing! I hope the cage around it will solve the problem. I'm surprised it hasn't happened to any of mine. We have voles around, so maybe they don't go after them.

Welcome to TGF!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:48 pm 

Sounds like chipminks. I had the same problem and caught the little beasts in the act.