All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:17 am 

Attachment:
IMG_1298.jpg
IMG_1298.jpg [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 565 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_1298.jpg
IMG_1298.jpg [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 565 times ]
daisy, my 11 year old long hair chihuahua with a hair cut, found an H F Young with new blooms yesterday. she wanted me to post them for you.
we have already had a 36 degree frosty morning but there are a good number of clems in bloom here at hardwick hall.
pink cameo, viola, negritanka, minuet, one crystal fountain bloom, a few stray rouge cardinals, some small c bouchaud, elsa spath and ruby glow. also etoile rose, prince charles, venosa violacea, and huldine.
slice of pizza is hanging on to a nice bloom and sympatia has 2 large ones. and a mrs chomledney has put forth a couple of blooms too.

but i agree with daisy that this H F Young was the best surprise in the garden as they usually do not rebloom for me. but this one had a violent trimming in late july due to being near a tangled buggy mess that left me no choice.
Attachment:
IMG_1299.jpg
IMG_1299.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 561 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:22 am 

sorry for the double click double posting if H F Young, have to figure out how to keep that from happening.
anyway here is pink cameo , also taken yesterday.
of interest is that pink cameo usually blooms very pale for me, the subtlest of bi colors in my garden. a sea shell range of pink. here she is showing her true bi color heritage and more color than ever before.
Attachment:
IMG_1303.jpg
IMG_1303.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 563 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:29 am 

H F Young is a beauty. How tall does it tend to get?

Cute pooch too! Looks pretty good for an 11 yr. old. :D Our dog is 10 now, but not showing it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:21 pm 

daisy says thanks for the compliment.
h f young is compact and blooms low the for first couple of years. this year, as some of mine were a few years old, i discovered that vines would also really climb and bloom up high. this particular h f young was hard pruned in late late july or early august. not ideal timing, but i had some overgrown clems and bugs and spider webs and just took action tho late in the season for that. i did not expect it to bloom again and had not been in that garden for about 10 days and was shocked to see the blooms and there are buds also.
we are winding down here, but there is much to do and a good number of blooms.

but already thinking about next spring! rushing things i am!

here is a minuet that was hard pruned in mid july with a second showing. it is growing kind on top of a young rhederiana that has not bloomed yet, still hoping it does and that they are blooming together. next year i will train the minuet the other way, wasn't paying attention when it started to grow agressively and climbed on it's neighbor.
Attachment:
IMG_1277.jpg
IMG_1277.jpg [ 1.82 MiB | Viewed 557 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:10 pm 

Very nice. I'm waiting on some buds on one of mine. It came with 2 names, so I'll have to post a picture and see if either of them are correct.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:50 pm 

Nice pic of Daisy and H F Young. Is it really that blue for you in person? I have a couple seedling of this one, but they are more on the mauvy color shade. Yes, sad to see things coming to an end ... for now. And as most gardeners... looking forward to next year's blooms.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:45 am 

h f young is a very nice blue for me. and have it in 3 different areas and it looks the same in all.
same local source of the plants so same clone i guess.
it has very magical quality to the color, very beautiful.
Attachment:
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG [ 733.59 KiB | Viewed 560 times ]

this is another shot of the earlier display of flowers from the same plant that daisy found blooming this fall.