The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:48 am 

Attachment:
IMG_0913.JPG
IMG_0913.JPG [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 609 times ]
perle de azure. used to be the worlds most popular clematis. now a montana or jacknamii may have take than honor, not sure.
my perle de azure is about 6 or 7 years old. mine were bought from local gallons, some general nursery nothing special. they were vigorous from the start. just a fab clem, tho mary toomey has written it can be prone to powdery mildew (and most of what i have ever read that she wrote has proved to be accurate). mine has never gotten powdery mildew, or really had any issues except for what i would call minor bottom of vine leaf browning. very minor compared to a few other cultivars.
this one is a must for anyone who does not have it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:57 am 

That's gorgeous! I may have to keep that one in mind since I have a spot that I want a blue one in.

I might go crazy with clems at the next place we live, since it will be a smaller property. I've planted so many things here and have room for lots more if I want, but I think I'll restrain myself since I'm not getting any younger.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:59 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_0524.JPG
IMG_0524.JPG [ 732.31 KiB | Viewed 607 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0524.JPG
IMG_0524.JPG [ 732.31 KiB | Viewed 607 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_1013.JPG
IMG_1013.JPG [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 607 times ]
so many "blues" in the clem world. have you seen hotaka? sometimes spelled hodaka. same plant.
don't know if i have posted this one here or not in the past. let's see who else is blue? durandii the color of well worn and favorite denim jeans........

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:55 pm 

I fell in love with one that Bill Bird posted years ago. I hesitated back then because there were some folks that had problems with it... also I thought it was a type 2, and I prefer type 3's. I may have to look really hard to find a spot for this one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:28 am 

hotaka came on strong for me, grew and acted like a 3 for sure. maybe it 's one of those 2.5's!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:26 pm 

Sorry for the confusion. I meant Perle d'Azur. COTW says it's a type 3. Is that how you prune yours Deb ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:25 am 

i have pruned my perle de azure as a 3 some years and also as a 2 some years. i think i get a longer bloom period if i prune it as a 3. some years it has been so vigorous so early i left about
4 to 5 ft of old vines instead of a hard type 3 prune. i have done this with a few mature 3's. not sure why just instinct and emotion more than logic. when it is april 1 and you have the bottom of those old vines with lots of green growth......

but the standard 3 treatment gives lower blooms and longer bloom period i think.

some years i take some other mature or young clems down all the way to the ground in july too, but i have not done this with perle de azure, but probably will next year.

here is another nice clem that appears blue in some lights or stages of bloom maturity.looks more purply here. the president!
Attachment:
IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG [ 1010.44 KiB | Viewed 608 times ]