The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:26 pm 

If anyone has photos of integrifolias, I would love for you to share them. Most photos I find are close ups of the bloom, but none show them from any distance so that I can see how full they are, etc. I'm considering ordering several and need to decide where to place them in my gardens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:26 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG [ 976.03 KiB | Viewed 718 times ]
tried to post these yesterday and something wasn't working, anyway here is heather hershcell growing on one of the bargain structures..hope you haven't already seen this shot?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:28 pm 

here is "slice of pizza"
if you aren't familiar with which one that is, look on cotw under SZ
unpronounceable name, gorgeous clem
the flowers are huge

Attachments:
IMG_1256.jpg
IMG_1256.jpg [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 725 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:31 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_1214.jpg
IMG_1214.jpg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 717 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_1214.jpg
IMG_1214.jpg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 717 times ]
rooguchi is a show stopper
this is a small plant that isn't much to look at yet..except for the blooms

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:37 pm 

on a last integrefolia note, i am in the process of moving a good many of mine to a new bed i am starting. main purpose: sun level. these do better in good sun, and i have found that some of mine are planted in the wrong site as to that. most also like sharp drainage (actually don't know too many plants that don't)
i am moving hakuree, species integrefolia, integrefolia rosie, chinook, savannah, harlow carr, and inspiration.
am creating a bed of about 12 integrefolias. holes are dug etc, just waiting for the missing ingredient...elbow grease. have to get out there and do it!
i do have others mixed into the clem gardens that i am not moving, but the ones that need a better site are getting it.

and ordering a few more next spring! really drooling for hendryetta, have had trouble finding it in stock.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:12 pm 

Guru, thank you so much for posting these. That answers one question I had about how much support they need. Since they don't cling, I assume they need a structure or host plant unless you just let them trail along the ground, which I am not likely to do.

These are all beautiful plants. I recently received two Inspirations from Brushwood. I put them in a large pot in the middle of new gazebo. Hopefully, they will trail down and around other clems next spring. If they don't, I will move them. Also have a couple of integs ordered from SSV to arrive next week, including Harlow Carr.
I see where your lever loops come in handy with these. Thanks, again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:09 am 

primrose, they are good supported by a woody shrub or lever looped to a post or such. common to see twine tied about the group of stems. maybe again a couple of feet higher as they get taller.
sometimes a sprawl works well, sometimes support better to show off the flowers.
i really like the two i have on our bargain structures. i have blue boy on one and heather herschell on another and they are doing well. the location is not as sunny as i think optimum, but i am not moving these two as they have already reached 4 to 5 ft and bloomed well.

i have seen 4 tall bamboo canes placed upright on the outer edge of a large pot and then unobtrusive wire, or thin twine put around the canes to hold the stems in. this looked nice and didn't mar the look of the display.

we need to find hendryetta next spring!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:31 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_0872.JPG
IMG_0872.JPG [ 881.06 KiB | Viewed 719 times ]
alionushka, a pretty integrefolia, but a hard one for me to train or get on the supports to best advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:09 pm 

Yes, we definitely need to find Hendryetta. I love that one. I'm still planning my integrifolia garden, which may very well be in front of house where I'm planting new flower garden with climbing rose. They will certainly get lots of sun there, maybe more than they want. I really love these photos.
I haven't had much luck with my rooguchi, but will move it and try again. That's one of the many lessons I've learned from you--that you can move a clem if it is not happy in its original home. Is this the best time, or is it better to wait until they are dormant?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:22 pm 

I would encourage anyone liking the integrefolias to try Arabella. I grow it on this obelisk, that is about 3 1/2 feet tall, and it grows up through the top and falls onto itself. If held up straight, it would reach at least 5 feet.

Attachment:
Obelisk from Homesense 001.jpg
Obelisk from Homesense 001.jpg [ 40.72 KiB | Viewed 907 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0333_1.JPG
IMG_0333_1.JPG [ 4.37 MiB | Viewed 720 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:53 pm 

That's a great looking combo with the rose!