The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Now Blooming
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:12 pm 

These are the only 2 I have in bloom now and they just keep going and going. I have them both growing on one post. I have a couple of other clems with new buds, so it won't end very soon.

Rouguchi, my favorite

Texensis Pagoda

Post subject: Re: Now Blooming
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:45 pm 

nice blooms. did your pagoda establish easily? i put one in this spring and it has not established easily. but that is not a requirement to be a good citizen here in my garden. i have many here that did not establish easily.
i may have to move mine. thanks for posting it, and i love it paired with rooguchi.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:09 pm 

Thanks! Yes, my pagoda did establish very well. It was either planted last fall or this past spring and the vines went to the top of the pole and beyond. The pole is about 8 or 9 ft. tall. It has been blooming for a long time.

The Rouguchi is doing well too. I planted it this spring and it has grown like crazy, in spite of the heat we had.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:18 pm 

Those are 2 pretties I don't have. I thought Rouguchi was a paler color, but maybe the pics I've seen are of older blooms that faded. Does yours get PM? I've heard this one does. They're both very pretty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 pm 

This area doesn't have sun all day long, maybe 6 hours and now the sun has dropped lower, so they have less sun to fade the blooms. They're actually darker than the picture shows.

No, I haven't had PM...yet. None of my clems have so far. Doesn't mean they never will, though.

Check out Dan's message at the top of the clem page.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:46 pm 

OH!!!! rouguchi - that one is fabulous!!! i've never seen that one before. *adds to the 'want list' - right at the top! *

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:26 pm 

It is a cutie, isn't it? I think it was on here that I first learned about it and added it to my want list.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:24 am 

Bloomorelse, I have PM on R. now. It has been cool and wet for a week or more, so that helped it get started. We'll see if it gets it next summer or not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:31 pm 

pm on rooguchi must be digitally contagious....i did pick up some on mine too as it was being posted about on another site and now here. as it was late in the season i did not treat it. it will outgrow it. and actually seems to be growing now without PM
rooguchi is usually the dark purple for me. i have killed a couple in the past and got a new one this year, which has grown pretty well. ......it mingled with sir trevor lawrence and i look forward to them doing that again next year too!
Attachment:
IMG_1214.jpg
IMG_1214.jpg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 759 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_1148.jpg
IMG_1148.jpg [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 767 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_1129.jpg
IMG_1129.jpg [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 765 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:07 pm 

Mine has much less on it today for some reason. We had sun yesterday and today, but I wouldn't think that would turn it around that quick. It has been colder too, so maybe it doesn't thrive in the cold.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:48 pm 

it is like a heathy baby getting the first cold and then finding immunity within it's system. not terminal for sure,and building immunity for future microbes that it will encounter in the normal garden environment.
long way to say it will out grow the tendency and be stringer because it had a early tinge of it!

layman's explanation of course.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:56 pm 

May have to look for Rooguchi next season. It's really pretty.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:15 am 

It is a nice one, but you better start looking for one early, because they seem to go fast. I think it will be my favorite of that type. I still have some blooms on it, in spite of some hard rains, cool temps and lack of sun.

Enjoy dreaming... :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:52 am 

i share your love of pagoda. for some reason i had not added this to my collection and did so this year. it has taken a slow start, which is never a surprise with a new clem for me.
i look forward to next year with it.
i alawys assumed pagoda was a texensis as well, i believe i had heard it referred to as such and the slow uptake for me supports that in it's parentage.
however, pagoda is a vitacella from vitacella and etoile rose parentage.
if you look up etoile rose on cotw, it is also a vitacella from a texensis species and vitacella parentage. i usually refer to etoile rose as a texensis as some of it's traits such as tendency to powdery mildew when young or on new growth ...
the texensis is in there however but they are both vitacella group!

i am going to be revisiting the parentage and group of all of my clems, due to inspiration from the new book on clematis cultivar classification by wim s. i recently obtained the book and find it fascinating.......