The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My first try at Clematis
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:20 pm 

I always thought Clematis were a cold climate flower, and hesitated to try and grow them here in Southern California. However, I went to a garden show in April with a friend and there was a booth sponsored by the local clematis society and they sold me on trying some. I scanned the net, found Silver Star Vinery and ordered two, a Niobe and a Bourbon.

I planted the Bourbon in a large pot and the Niobe in ground. Sadly the Niobe almost died in ground and I pulled the one remaining vine of the four that started growing and put it into a five gallon for some intensive care. The one vine only grew to maybe two feet, threw off several nice blooms and just died to the ground. I was a bit depressed at that, but just noticed two healthy new shoots coming up from the ground so all is not lost! Seems late in the year for it to be doing that, but my fingers are crossed.

The Bourbon grew much nicer, had two long vines that grew to over five feet on a tomato cage. Hoping next year it will be spectacular. I've attached a few pictures (I think, bear with me, this is my first try at posting here):

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:04 pm 

Welcome to TGF! It's a great place. I hope you can succeed at growing clems in your area. Keep them watered and mulched. Mulching will keep the root zone cool and will keep the soil moist.
That's intense color, nice.

Check out Brushwood nursery too. :) It helps keep this site up and running.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:40 pm 

congrats on the beautiful flower. niobe can be a bit fussy and hydration requirements may not have been met the first month or so after planting....but sometimes with clems they just take their own path and get to the destination on their own time........
warning, clems are addictive. welcome to the club!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:48 pm 

Welcome to TGF. Love the colors of these 2. Clems don't like to get thirsty, so keep them well watered, but not sitting in water. Those are 2 beauties.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:34 pm 

Hmm, my Niobe doesn't seem fussy at all. It probably didn't get as much water as it would've liked over the summer, but it's doing fine. I tend to under water since it attracts moles, so they fair better with less water and no moles. Mine is in a spot where the root system is in shade all day, so that is probably what kept it going.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:57 pm 

Welcome, MJ. I'm also a newbie here. Joined about a week ago. Bourbon is one I don't have yet, but on my wish list. Yours is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

I'm also in a very warm climate. I'm in the SE, Zone 8, and always heard that I couldn't grow clematis here, but last spring 08 I planted about 5. I was surprised this past spring when they did so well. Then came the addiction and now I'm not sure how many I have, but a LOT. Most of them have done well so far, but next spring will reveal a lot. I'm hoping we have another cold winter like last year so that they will get proper dormant period. Guru is right. They ARE addictive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:02 am 

niobe can be such a knock out for me, but it is one of the ones that goes off and on, and when it looks off i prune it as it is in a very visible location near the front of the house.
mine are about 5 years old and i have heard that there is in consistency and that even some warsaw nikes are sold as niobe. no direct experience or learning curve with that, but i may buy another one from silver star and compare the plant and blooms to the ones i have that were bought locally.
the close up shot of niobe posted here is from last year some blooms that rested on the evergreens and lingered forever, bleaching up in the full sun to show a lot of dimension.

Attachments:
IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG [ 2.15 MiB | Viewed 759 times ]
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG [ 925.08 KiB | Viewed 759 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:49 pm 

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome to this forum. I appreciate it. Hopefully next spring I'll have more to talk about as my two plants (and who knows how many other new ones) start growing again.

And WOW, that Niobe in the last picture is absolutely stunning. Hope the nub I have left that is starting new growth can manage a similar display in a few years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:51 am 

Wow! Great and Thanks for advice and photos all about garden ideas. Informative post about gardening Thanks!