The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: REDS! Rebecca
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:37 pm 

Debra, I dug up Margaret today and put her in my brood garden. The soil in the brood is full of worm casings and where I can watch her very carefully. Her roots don't look like there is any new growth! I will give her till next Spring. Maybe Debbie will have some next Spring. I have been using the Gro Power and I am following your recipe for mulch. I can't wait until next Spring!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:42 pm 

Love2garden, Thank you for the welcome. Where in the PNW are you? I am in Poulsbo. I came here following Clematisguru, she has really helped me to get a good start with my clems...now I am a total addict. Mary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:11 am 

I'm in SW WA. I joined this forum a few years back and it's the best garden forum I've been on. I hate the thought of it going away, but understand Dan's reasons.

This is the most activity there has been here for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:15 am 

mary, always good to get in there and look at the root. wouldn't have wanted someone to do that this late in the year and mess up any growth. i probably would have done that too.
late this summer, i have gone back and taken some small clems that didn't seem to grow, and put them in gallon pots (i call them hospital pots, but love your brood bed)
and had good results in terms of now seeing some growth from them.

another issue is underground rodent root eating. maybe your root was being chewed?????
i don't have a huge issue with this (knock wood) but i know some folks who have had huge issues with it. it is probably an issue for all of us from time to time as there are small and not so small critters that tunnel in there and munch.
hope to see photos of your maggie h posted somewhere next spring, or you can e mail me one!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:51 am 

Moles can do a lot of damage to the root systems too. They don't eat them, just plow through leaving broken roots dangling in the tunnels, or they push up a pile of dirt right underneath it. I plant everything but trees and large shrubs in chicken wire cages so the plants have a chance to get a good start. Such a nuisance, though. Hopefully our next house will be mole free.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:29 pm 

can you post a photo of your chix wire cage? i know someone else who did this, but have never seen the actual "cage". woudl love to see it in case i need to ever use some. hope i don't. you guys have some big slugs out there too, no? giants! our slugs are small but do their share of damage here!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:32 am 

Can you say big slugs!! They are huge here. Deborah, next time in the PNW, come visit. Can show you some very big slugs and also more of the beautiful puget sound.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:42 am 

mary m i will be back up there. if not before, will be there for the 2010 international clem society convention. i saw big slugs when there in july. the only ones bigger i have ever seen were photos roelie posted on gardenbuddies of hers in holland, they were like chihuahuas. i must admit i would have a issue with those as i will not pick and kill, frankly i wouldn't know what to do.
you must be able to keep them off the clems somehow?
we have them here, but they are usually the size of ring finger nail or pinkie fingernail. i saw one albino one here the once abut 3 inches long. it was not in the garden,but on sidewalk area by driveway. i poured salt on it. very cruel.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:07 pm 

I'll try to remember to take a picture next time I make a cage. There's nothing to it.

Yes we do have some big slugs out here as Mary said. The biggest are the native leopard slugs (theres another name for them too), the ones with the dark spots, but, fortunately, they eat organic matter, not plants. The others are imports and they do have an appetite for fresh plants. I use an iron based slug bait that works very well, otherwise my hostas would have the swiss cheese look all the time. There are predators that help too, starlings being one. I think snakes eat them too. We have a pretty good balance of critters on this plot of land, so I haven't had to fight too many bad ones.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:55 pm 

ps i read today that in the UK they recommend hedgehogs as garden helpers who eat slugs. don't know how to go about getting hedgehog to live in garden but like the idea. very wind in the willows and all that.
mr hedgehog who lives in clemville usa.......

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:06 pm 

Deborah, Next time in PNW, hopefull you will visit. We are on the Peninsula near Whidbey. Love2garden, same for you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:15 pm 

wow , we were just on whidbey in july. after visiting the clem meccas we drove up to whidbey and stayed in a cabin for 3 days. i have an old friend in the area we looked up and it was very relaxing, tho i saw no clems on that part of the trip....

you live in a fantastic part of the country!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:23 pm 

lets call rubromarginata a red for the purpose of this thread.
this is a great clem. some clones of it are not "climbing", but the stems are so vigorous they support themselves and quickly find a host to grab of some sort. this one pictured of mine, about 6 years old, does have tendrils on the upper growth that wrap around and hold on.
i love this clem so much, bought a few small ones this summer that are currently still in containers to be planted out soon. they are slated to go in a different garden....it is just a great vigorous plant that blends in.....a great companion to roses or other clems.

the photo of rubro i decided to post is one with the ville de lyon next to it. you can see what a good companion it makes. this plant is a hybrid that produces no pollen so it does not spread by seed, which might be a plus as some of the other clems of this size and vigor can be a little invasive.
Attachment:
IMG_0900.JPG
IMG_0900.JPG [ 1.76 MiB | Viewed 741 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:00 pm 

That's a nice one too. I like the lighter centers on the petals. Nice combo too.

Thanks for the invite Marym. I haven't been to the northern part of the state since our honeymoon way back when!

I hope you 2 will stick around if there is still a place for people outside of the C&S forum. They're thinking of trying to consolidate some of the other forums on here. Speak up on thread about it if you want to see TGF go on. There's a link to the message in Dan's post at the top of the clematis page.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:22 pm 

Deborah, I just planted rubio and Ville up a tall post. I believe you recommended the combination on another post. Now seeing the picture, I am so excited. Do you have one or two ville's growing with the rubio? I just tucked all my clemmies in for the winter. I made your mulch recipe. Boy am I tired of digging holes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:19 pm 

that is one ville de lyon, which is a year or two younger than the rubro. they really make a great combo i think. so glad you are doing one! that rubro justs sparkles and blends so well. so many flowers. mine is getting ready to bloom again.

i just put a diana on the other side of the rubro, but it will be a year or two before there is any good mingling and blooming i think.

i hear ya on the holes......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:13 pm 

Oh oh, I think Margaret Hunt is another must have and I'm already out of clem space.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:04 pm 

I am so hoping my Margaret comes back next Spring. I just got Betty Corning from SSV. I am not sure if she would be better growing by herself or paired with someone. Any suggestions? Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:20 am 

betty is big and vigorous, so make sure a pairing leaves space for betty, who will be larger than most cultivars very quickly. i have it in a row with extra space, and it mingles nicely it could overtake some clems depending on how you plant it.
Attachment:
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 745 times ]

durandii is nearby and looks nice nice with betty, but had they been planted at the same time and too closely betty could have ruined durandii's chance for blooms.