The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: REDS! Rebecca
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:36 pm 

hoshi and rebecca are two of the newer reds.
how red are they? opinions and results differ, but i must say both have bloomed for me this year as really red. saturated color and nice shade of red. both are new here, and i know that successive year blooms sometimes settle down.
here is rebecca's first bloom this year, does anyone have a photo to compare colors with this bloom?
my hoshi photos are in a huge file of unlabeled clems, will sort thru it and post hoshi for comparison tomorrow. will say rebecca was a clearer and possibly redder red for me on first blooms. but the substantial feel to the hoshi bloom and two tier looking stamen and anthers make it a more interesting clem at first glance. time will tell i guess with these new clems.

Attachments:
IMG_0944.JPG
IMG_0944.JPG [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 1045 times ]

Post subject: Re: REDS! Rebecca
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:04 pm 

Here are my first blooms from the Rebecca I purchased a couple of months ago. Following these, she produced several more but due to rainstorm, photo isn't that great. She is redder than I expected her to be and I was very pleased.

Attachments:
File comment: Rebecca's first blooms
Rebecca's 1st blooms 09.JPG
Rebecca's 1st blooms 09.JPG [ 1.98 MiB | Viewed 1046 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:01 am 

primrose , i have to agree, yours are very similar to mine. yours look almost like a poinsetta red. love it!
can't wait for next season to see the color and how floriferous the plant will be.

still have to dig out the hoshi photos, ggggrrrrrrrr. had to water a bunch of clems this morning, so no photo organizing time yet.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:03 am 

while i wait to dig up hoshi photos, here is another favorite red of min, julia correvon.

i like it so much i am putting some more into a new bed. it is really a showstopper of a clem.

Attachments:
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG [ 936.46 KiB | Viewed 1045 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:39 am 

Wow! I didn't know there were any so red. Very nice.

I have Julia C. too. She put on a nice show this year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:21 pm 

finally sorted the photos. here is hoshi no flamenco's first blooms. it was REALLY red first time around. and the stamens and anthers are a neat two tier kind of look.

Attachments:
IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 1046 times ]
IMG_1170.jpg
IMG_1170.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 1046 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:23 pm 

also really liked another new one this year, sir trevor lawrence, a texensis.

Attachments:
IMG_1213.jpg
IMG_1213.jpg [ 1.46 MiB | Viewed 1046 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:26 pm 

and of course, the classic clematis gravetye beauty. i call it beet root red.it is a garden must if you like to grow the texensis clems.

Attachments:
IMG_1028.JPG
IMG_1028.JPG [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 1045 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:53 pm 

Guru, your photos never cease to amaze me. That's one of the main reasons for my clematis addiction! I liked Julia so much that I ordered a second one. It looks SO pretty with the purple nearby. I'm planning to pair it with Galore on a new gazebo. Galore did especially well for me this spring and it was planted as a liner late last spring.

Your Hoshi looks like red velvet! Hope you'll keep sharing the photos!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:00 pm 

Those are beautiful. I don't have any reds. The closest to red I have is Rouge Cardinal. Keep meaning to get Mme Julia Correvon, but didn't happen again this year. My fences are full and I am only on a small city lot. Don't even know what I'll do with all those seedlings I keep planting. Many of the seedlings are still in my old veggie garden, turned into a holding bed for seedlings a few years ago. I will soon have to move something out in order to put a new one in.

Do you keep your pruning types separate?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:13 am 

love rouge cardinal. it is my biggest most floriferous longest bloom time red. ever.
it is an amazing clem. i have them in several locations, it is a showstopper!

this site is o easy to post pics on that i have gone crazy. no re sizing. love that.

Attachments:
IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG [ 2.29 MiB | Viewed 1045 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:42 am 

Beautiful! I may have to get one of those red ones.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:46 am 

ya gotta! what zone are you in?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:51 am 

I'm zone 8 approx. We're cooler here than around town because of the forest, so some parts of my yard might be closer to zone 7.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:09 pm 

here is another, mostly red, vitacella. more colorful than minuet or little nell, it is KERMESINA. really nice, floriferous, easy clem. sometimes called vitacella rubra, but kermesina is the correct name. i love this one.

Attachments:
IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG [ 2.66 MiB | Viewed 1047 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:02 pm 

Your Rouge Cardinal is a beauty. What zone are you in?

I missed out on Kermisena a couple years ago. Saw it and bought Venosa Violacea instead. I love this one too, but wish I had gotten both later. Clems are pretty well finished here with the exception of a few straglers here and there. All these fresh pics are making me want Spring to come already. Since you have a lot more clems than most of us, you'll have to keep us drooling all winter... a few pics at a time. Winters are looooong here. Clems don't even start leafing out til May.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:55 pm 

That one is a beauty too.

I went out today and got the wire on one post for a clem already growing there, so now i can plant one on the other side of the post. I have 4 in pots that I want to get in this fall.

Good idea Bloomorelse! I like the thought of seeing clems all winter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:45 pm 

bloomorelse...zone 5 , 5b to be exact. but 6 rated plants may live but not flower, so there is a difference between zone 5b and 6 for sure.
my clem spring and growth and blooms actually start earlier than they do for a friend in zone 6 in pacific n west however.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:48 pm 

here is another pretty red, westerplatte.

i love this one and it has been an easy cultivar so far.

and not to worry i have enough photos to keep ya going all winter, i have many many photos, all of my clems over the last couple of years.....

Attachments:
IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG [ 886.64 KiB | Viewed 1048 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:11 pm 

Guru, you're bound to be responsible for a few more clem addicts by posting these beautiful photos. LOL By spring, they will want all of them, just as I did.

Speaking of reds, I have two Rouge Cardinals planted together, but didn't do much this year. I feel that next year will be better. I also planted a gallon size Barbara Harrington in the late spring that died back after a wk or two and no sign of her yet. If she doesn't appear by spring, I'll probably dig and see what's down there and consider replacing her. I'll probably be tempted to do so this winter, actually.
Do you have a photo of Barbara?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:50 am 

primrose, fyi barbara harrington is known for this behavior, but when blooming well is a nice clem.one of the few that i would call spot on "hot pink" color.

rouge cardinal might take a while to establish....this is normal in my garden.

here is barbara harrington from this summer

Attachments:
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0897.JPG [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 1045 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:53 am 

on the topic of reds, regency is one of my favorites. it is not especially floriferous for me, but i love the blooms so much it is worth the fickle plant

Attachments:
IMG_0790.JPG
IMG_0790.JPG [ 886.8 KiB | Viewed 1043 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:00 am 

You guys are getting me tempted to go nursery hopping to look for discounted clems. :shock: I really need to get the ones I have in pots into the ground before I buy any more. I have several bamboo plants waiting to go in too. Once I divide some of them, I'll have 18 to plant, so I really don't need to add more plants.

Beautiful photos again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:49 pm 

Beautiful reds, Guru. I won't give up on Barbara yet. She has until spring to do something. She is taking up a prime spot and will only be allowed to sleep for just so long.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:44 pm 

barbara has a lot of fans, but to me it is a p group 3 that acts as a 2.
but that is clematis....the winners are not the only beauties that transplant and grow with ease. clems are all about the whole group, and there are many that need time, expertise and understanding to give their best and their best may not be the same as another clem.

i still am more surprised by the winners vs the "regular clems". to me they are the norm...ie longer establishment time and sometimes die back. i still call that the norm even tho bigger plants from reputable vendors and certain cultivars are really pushing the old envelope in a GOOD way as far as what to expect.

barbara remains a unique and true "hot pink" to me with a glossy surface that is different enough to be worth the wait or work or wondering.......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:06 pm 

Hi CG.
I was finally able to get on this site. I have so enjoyed your reds (and whites). I have been collecting some reds. Do you have Rosemoor? I have heard that some may treat it as a 3. What do you do? So good to be able to read your posts!!! Mary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:11 am 

hi mary. i do have a rosemoor, but it was a under size, bargain plant that i put in the ground this spring. it has had a couple of pinch backs and must be growing roots as there is no action above ground.
many clems are slow to establish when they are very small like this one was or planted out too early, like this one was.
i am looking forward to having it in the collection, but do not expect it to be a super vigorous plant. but sometimes good things are worth waiting for!
in regards to your question, i will treat it as a 3 the first two years and then if there are viable vines in the spring i will treat it as a 2 after that. if there are not vines that are undamaged etc in the spring i will treat it as a 2.5 or a 3!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:33 am 

Debra, Thanks again for great info. I got Margaret Hunt in a well rooted gallon pot for the local nursery back in June. I planted it and cut it back hard. It has not returned yet! Is Margaret one that takes a long time to establish? Also, Mdm Edourd Andre just keeps poking out her head and then dying back. Everything else I cut back (as you recommended) has come back with great vigor. I will keep following your advice. Mary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:54 am 

Welcome to TGT Mary. Just be aware that it may not be around a lot longer. If you read the message from Dan at the top of the Clematis forum, you'll see the change to come. There is another thread on it in the cactus forum.

Enjoy it while it lasts! It's a great community of people here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:23 pm 

mary, margaret hunt is one of the quickest to establish clems i have ever grown. i have one that is 3 years old that was bought at ordinary mail order size and took right off.
i put two more in kind of mid season summer from silver star vinery, and ditto. one has bloomed already.

that said, i would not be unduly alarmed. was there a grower name or brand name on the tag or pot you bought it in? sometimes a grower , or nursery where you bought it uses fungicides and over fertilizing habits to get that nursery look,
Attachment:
IMG_0958.JPG
IMG_0958.JPG [ 2.09 MiB | Viewed 1043 times ]
might make a pot bound clem, when finally put in the ground, have an re-adjustment period (very laymans thought process and terminology here)

while your experience with margaret is different than my experience with the clem, the fact that you are planting, pruning and practicing habits you have seen pay off already with clems would make me think this is just a plant readjusting to the real world.
if it is not back in the spring with gusto i would evaluate the plant and the site you placed it in. in other words, are there other clems in close vicinity that are establishing well?

we all have cursed areas in our gardens that due to drainage, sun level or other unknowns end up as no clem zones!

and we have all moved many a clem that has been in the ground from a few months to a year to a better location. hope this helps, not really an an
answer, except for my experience with margaret!
glad to see you on the site here. if it closes , you can find me at gardenbuddies pretty often too.

you may have seen this photo or one similar of my margaret hunt. it is just a fabulous clem.