The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Few Pics
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:46 pm 

Photobucket is very slow, so I'll only post these for now.

Niobe, doing well this year.

Post subject: Re: A Few Pics
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:46 pm 

Your Niobe looks fantastic. Do you cut it back in early Spring like a 3, or cut back after blooming?

Mine is rather a wimp this year, a lot of stems but only a few feet high, and it is several years old. I don't remember cutting it back after last years flowers, which seem to be bigger than the 2 blooms I have had this year, There are lots of buds, but I don't know if they are Niobe or the Serenada that I planted in a tub on the other side of the western leg of an archway from Niobe. I hope the colors will mix if they do both bloom at the same time some year.

It has been an awful Spring & early Summer here, cold & rainy most of the time, with only 1-2 days of unbearable heat (I wimp out at around 80 degrees, and the a/c at work was nonfunctional at that time, think it was the last week in May or first in June.) The slugs & snails love it tho. I even had some tent catipillars noshing on my plants, which doesn't usually happen until August or so.

But the Asoa/Dawn combo looked good this year. Too bad the unknown pink roses I got from a friend's garden didn't start blooming in this area before last weekend, when the clems had lost all their petals due to the rain & wind. I'd love to post a pic or 2, but don't want to hijack your thread.

Marie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:12 am 

Thanks! No, I have never cut it back, but critters may have broken stems off over the winters. This is the first year it has grown up the post. Before I was letting it weave through the shrubs.

We had some warmer and dryer weather in May and early June, with temps in the upper 80s for a week or 2. I do better with lower temps too.

Go ahead and post some pictures. You can start a new thread if you don't want to put them here in mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:37 pm 

oh! that niobe is absolutely lovely!!!!

i have pics of mine - have to upload them. actually, i need to take updated pics of the jackmanii - it's really putting on a fabulous show this year - has been blooming for more than a month already!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:14 pm 

Thank you. This is its leap year, so I'm glad it's doing it's thing. I have a few others in bloom too, including some of my new ones. I'll try and post pictures of them too if photobucket is working better. Post some of yours too. :D