The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:21 am 

I have 2 Jackmanii's in front of my front porch which are well established, 9 year old plants. A couple of years ago, one of them suddenly started having several stems (but not all) having a problem that looked like a nutrient deficiency. Green veins and spots with yellowing in between. I fertilized it with a liquid fertilizer mixed with epsom salt. It made no difference. The leaves got progressively more discolored over a period of days, then turned brown and died. This happened to that plant 2 years in a row. This year it hasn't had the problem yet.

However, this year, the other Jackmanii is doing the same thing. From reading the descriptions of clematis wilt, it doesn't sound like that. The stems don't wilt first. The leaves discolor, then eventually die. I'm posting pictures. The third picture is one where it's pretty advanced and about to turn completely brown. You can see some dead leaves around it, and also some perfectly healthy leaves on other stems. I hope someone can help! I don't know what to do about this problem that keeps re-occuring.

Eat, Sleep, Garden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:11 am 

That does look a bit worrisome. The first pic looks nutritional to me. The second almost reminds me of foliar nematodes but the sections aren't quite defined enough. The third is just very odd.
Do you have sectional leaf damage on any other plants nearby (chlorosis and necrosis between veins in distinct patches)?
What do the undersides of the leaves look like?
Have you checked your soil pH lately? Feed won't help if it can't get in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:46 pm 

Plants nearby look fine. I am going to take a pH test tomorrow. What should the pH be for clematis?

Deanna

Eat, Sleep, Garden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:26 am 

Most will take a reasonable range. There's an old wive's tale about them liking high pH, but it isn't true. 6 to 7 is fine with extremes far away from that beginning to bind up some nutrients.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:17 pm 

if you have had bouts of heavy rain this year, that can contribute to vines that look like the ones pictured. so that is really drainage issue, but when we get the link or downpours i had in zone 5 this year there can be temporary drainage issues that you can do nothing about.
the damaged vines need to be removed, but if you are in a zone with a hard winter, now you can wait till next spring. you do not want to encourage healthy new growth only to have it zapped off by the first hard freeze.
to really get to the bottom of it would have to know if it is a repeat problem (successive years or a one off this year), the general vigor of the plants since you have put them in and even the soil type, fertilizer brand and practices. over fertilizing or fertilizer build up in the soil can be part of the issue.
i suspect it is a one off drainage issue. if you are ammending the soil around the clem and replacing some of it, use a mixture you build with your regular soil, sharp crushed gravel or oyster shell and compost such as composted leaves and manure.