The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sick Clem?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:26 pm 

Dan, this is the tie dye I got from you this spring and it has been growing great until a couple of days ago. Is it prone to clematis wilt or do you think it's something else? I'd hate to lose it after waiting so long to get it. Advice needed on what to do with it, please. I could dig it up and grow it in a pot for a year if needed. It just starting budding out too. :cry: I checked for broken stems, but they were fine. It had grown up about 3-4 ft and was looking so good. it wasn't dry or too wet.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Sick Clem?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:43 am 

I don't think we've seen any wilt on it. Miguel has one. Maybe ask him. It could be another cause. Drought stress? (root damage, root rot, stem damage-but you checked that one)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:31 pm 

It has been watered and none of my others that have been watered less have a problem. Maybe I'll just dig it up and put it in a pot for the summer and grow it out more. I did read where wilt is common this time of year here, probably because of our wet springs and unsettled June. We did just have about 3 weeks of hot weather, so I doubt the roots rotted due to too much moisture.

I haven't seem Miguel around here for a long time.

Thanks for your thoughts!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:31 am 

Make sure you don't have any critters..such as moles..looks like it is begging for water to me...how's it doing now?..Jeanne

that gives the Rose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:00 am 

It's still declining and it's not a lack of water. We do have moles, but I made a chicken wire cage that I planted it in so they wouldn't go through the root system and I don't see any signs of activity in the area it's in. It didn't turn brown and crispy like the descriptions I've read on wilt, so I think I'll dig it up and see if I can grow it out in a pot for a year. Thanks for the thoughts!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:00 am 

I think it might have been wilt. I dug it up yesterday to put it in a pot, but found it had put on a lot of root growth and decided to leave it in the ground since it was doing so well. No rotten roots and no sign of a mole tunnel underneath it. Hopefully it will send up some new shoots this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:49 pm 

My Tie Dye is at least three years old and possibly four and for the first time it has collapsed. I also live in the PNW and I wonder if it has something to do with our extremes in weather this spring. We recently had a huge downpour of rain like I've never seen before. It lasted for about a half hour and rained so hard the water poured over the gutters like a waterfall. This was right after we'd had several days of weather in the high 80's and low 90's F.
I have no doubt it will be back if not this season then next spring. It's a good grower under normal circumstances.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:52 am 

Thanks for your reply! I had waited a couple of years to get this one, so I was sorry to have it wilt after it had buds. The weather has been crazy. We got .75 in. of rain today and we had a gutter running over too, plus a stream going down our driveway. I don't know if it was enough to soak in around our forested area, though. It was getting pretty dry.

I think a stem of a clem. I offered to you last year has rooted where a vine was on the ground, so you're welcome to it if you'd like to try it. It's the one here, viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9076 I was just thinking of trying to contact you yesterday, so your timing was good.

Thanks again for letting me know you had the same thing happen to yours.

frostycurls wrote:
My Tie Dye is at least three years old and possibly four and for the first time it has collapsed. I also live in the PNW and I wonder if it has something to do with our extremes in weather this spring. We recently had a huge downpour of rain like I've never seen before. It lasted for about a half hour and rained so hard the water poured over the gutters like a waterfall. This was right after we'd had several days of weather in the high 80's and low 90's F.
I have no doubt it will be back if not this season then next spring. It's a good grower under normal circumstances.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:55 am 

I'd forgotten all about that. When I looked at the old topic your clematis reminded me of my
Propertius especially the shape, what do you think?

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clem ... ?dbkey=263

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:24 am 

That one seems more pink than mine. Mine is more lavender.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:13 am 

I see what you mean, in the first photo link it looked more pink. Whatever it is, it's very nice.[size=150][/size]

I just noticed the font color bar, very handy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:43 am 

Are you bored this morning? :wink: :lol:

It is a nice, soft color and is hard to capture. I just got lucky with the shot I showed you. Let me know if you're interested in the start.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:41 pm 

Maybe we can get together this fall and hopefully I'll have something you'd like in trade.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:17 am 

Are you sure you don't want it now to put in a pot and give it some TLC over the summer? I'd do it now, but I have so many things in pots right now that aren't getting the best of care since life keeps giving us challenges this spring that we'd rather not have.

Don't feel you have to give me anything. I like to share and don't expect anything in return.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:02 pm 

Frostycurls, has yours sent out new growth? I would imagine it has since it's an older plant. Mine isn't showing any new growth at all, but I know that's not unusual. I'm keeping it watered through our many heat waves.

None of my other clems have had a problem. It figures I'd get a tie dye the year it's prone to wilt. I saw on another forum where others in our area had it too. I was looking forward to seeing the blooms this summer, so hopefully it will return next year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:07 pm 

re tie dye
the sad tie dye pic may be the result of slugs stripping the outer layer of vine off , down near the bottom, did you check the vines carefully down there? the visible sign will be hardened verticle markings, usually of a different coloration on the stem itself near the bottom.
my tie die is prone to slugs doing this. sometimes the vines recover if not much was stripped and you can barey see the discolored verticle markings. when they are as yours are pictured, they do not recover but the plant it self is not harmed.
if not slugs, vascular "green" wilt is usually a short lived issue, with some clems more prone to it than others. tie dye is prone to it, but usually it does not effect all vines on the plant. another good reason to prune young plants and practice seasonal pruning to encourage multiple vines.
if you feel slugs could be the culprit, consider " bug getta plus" granules which also take care of earwigs, another common clem enemy. once you have a plant effected treat it next season preventatively as the areas where the enemy lurks will be the same next year!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:24 pm 

First of all, welcome to TGF! I hadn't heard your theory before. If it was slugs, don't you think I'd have other clems affected too? I live in slug country and some of my clems in other locations would be more prone to them because of their shadier location.

Thanks for your thoughts!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:29 pm 

my pleasure. you are right you are in a big slug zone. but no, they do not chew them all and you may not be infested, but you probably have slugs and tie dye is one they like.
there are many natural methods, picking and killing at night the only really effective one. i can not abide that and do not have a huge slug issue on my place. i lost most of a tie dye this year to it, tho the remaining vines flowered well. so this year i learned about and started using the granules mentioned above.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:40 pm 

I use the iron based slug bait, so I'll be sure to put some around it next year if it comes back. I think there's a good chance it will going by how well developed the root system was. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:56 am 

I've had great success with Sluggo Plus (that's an iron bait) pellets on slugs and snails. The plus has spinosad in it. They are organic; pretty sure OMRI Certified. Very safe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:59 pm 

I havn't seen Sluggo Plus. May have to check that out. I've had very good success with ones I've used over the years. Without it, I'd have a big problem since we have a lot of them. Starlings come though once or twice a year to feast on them, so that helps a lot too. I think they go after the young ones.

Dan wrote:
I've had great success with Sluggo Plus (that's an iron bait) pellets on slugs and snails. The plus has spinosad in it. They are organic; pretty sure OMRI Certified. Very safe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:25 pm 

Frostycurls, did yours come back this year? Mine hasn't. I see no signs of growth at all and all of my other ones are growing now. I'm tempted to dig it up and see if the root system is still alive, but I'll wait.