The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where is everyone?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:51 am 

I know my life has been hectic but wondered where are my Clematis friends are?..Jeanne

that gives the Rose

Post subject: Re: Where is everyone?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:42 pm 

I've wondered where you've been this spring. How are the clems doing this year and how many new beds do you have? :mrgreen: I have 5 posts waiting to go in the ground so I can plant some I have waiting in pots. My daughter's surgery slowed things down for a while and I'm trying to catch up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:51 pm 

Busy busy...I've not created any new flowerbeds this year but am planting more clematis...yipeeeeeee...where is everyone?...Jeanne

that gives the Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:18 pm 

Oh, that's easy. They're all over at Gardenbuddies and Gardenweb. No, I'm not easily offended or concerned. In fact I get a chuckle when I think about having started this site with the hope of capturing a great clematis and vine community. I ended up with 2 very strong groups in completely unrelated subjects to my nursery. Ironic.
Luckily, the folks that are here have made my job easy by being mostly easygoing and very friendly. Keeps my work to a minimum or I would have shut this place down long ago. Or, maybe I would have sold it to iVillage for a cool thousand and retired (for a few weeks).

So...anyway. My Clematis pitcheri from Bell County TX bloomed:

Attachment:
bell2.jpg
bell2.jpg [ 58.89 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:08 pm 

my nelly put on a really fabulous showing this year and jackmanii is following her lead. the newbie, who's name i can't remember at the moment, is in his? her? third season and has 3 buds/flowers so far (only had one last year). i haven't uploaded pics yet - will post them when i do.

i was perusing your site to do an order and everything i wanted was out of stock...i did receive notice, for at least one of them, that it was restocked...been so busy i didn't have time to order. i'll have to do that this weekend.

i do have a couple new vines though...

snatched some of the honeysuckle that's taking over the back of the neighbors yard (along with the thistle, raspberry and forsythia and a few other un-id'd items. i'm planning on putting it in a very large pot and then placing it up by my front porch and letting it climb up the post...this is an invasive variety, so i don't want it in the ground...will be hard enough to get rid of what's working it's way over into my yard out back...

i got some clematis virginia in a trade last fall. lost part of it to the overgrowth of the creeping charlie. the other piece that i planted in a different spot is growing nicely - just one vine came up though, so it'll be a bit before it looks decent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:24 am 

Dan wrote:
Or, maybe I would have sold it to iVillage for a cool thousand and retired (for a few weeks).

NO! :shock:

I only have one in bloom now, but several have buds. My spring bloomers are long gone.

Jeanne, I don't believe that you don't have any new beds. There must be some in your mind at least. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:02 am 

luv2grdn wrote:
Dan wrote:
Or, maybe I would have sold it to iVillage for a cool thousand and retired (for a few weeks).

NO! :shock:

No, but I was offered 3K for it once and was sorely tempted. Maybe if I made some effort here, the clematis forum might spark up a bit. I need to work out some other problems like TGG and the internal server error first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:01 am 

Ahhh..Dan ..it isn't your fault hon...I feel like I've let ya down..life has been hectic and I've been disconnected from the forums..My Husband started an online fly fishing shop and I've been tied to the computer designing the site and doing all the pricing etc...very exhausting and since his brother got the Snowbee distribution for North America..I still have all that to add..so far he ain't made a dime and if he thinks this is going to support my expensuave rear end then he is delusional..LOL
Luv...yup...read above and you'll see WHY I haven't created any new flowerbeds...I STILL have 8 clematis that are begging to be planted I bought last year...lucky they get watered..shame on me...Hugzzzzzz..yall..I've missed you so...Jeanne

that gives the Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:03 am 

Hey Dan..forgot to mention that I am jealous of your new pitcheria from Bell..so nice to see a Texas native flourish for you...Jeanne

that gives the Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:03 am 

Dan wrote:
No, but I was offered 3K for it once and was sorely tempted. Maybe if I made some effort here, the clematis forum might spark up a bit. I need to work out some other problems like TGG and the internal server error first.

I wouldn't blame you if you did decide to sell. You have plenty going on in your life as it is. Don't fret over the glitches too much, we'll survive.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:42 pm 

The last year has been a very busy one and I've been lucky to keep up with my garden and read a bit on the various forums, it's nice to see some activity here.

Dan I could certainly covet that pitcheri, it's wonderful. Did you grow it from seed? and more importantly will you hope to offer it for sale at some point in time? I'm loving this type of clematis more and more each year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:59 am 

frosty, it's an absolute flower factory, too! Just covered. Yes, we do hope to introduce it or seedlings from it. Maurice may beat me to it, though. They already have tex. Tarpley River in their catalog. We have both but my focus has been off with the move and all. I expect we'll be roaring in a couple of years.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:35 pm 

I don't seem to have any luck with the texensis species although all of the clematis with texensis as part of their gene pool do great. The pitcheris, I have several, do fantastically well. I bought one from you a couple of years ago, it's also a very dark color, I think you got it from Carol? from Pennsylvania? it's now a monster. I love it.

I volunteer at the FRCC and they have some seedling pitcheri, viorna crosses that are absolutely wonderful. Beautiful colors with large bell shaped flowers, several of them have been named and hopefully they will eventually be propagated and available for sale.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:06 am 

The viorna group is notoriously difficult from cuttings, but I keep trying. C. crispa goes well. I also did a couple of C. reticulata cuttings just for kicks and they both took just fine. I have a beautiful viorna x reticulata with excellent mildew resistance, too. If it goes well from cuttings, I will name and release it for sure.
Do you know if the FRCC will patent their releases (to raise money for their work)?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:45 am 

I'm not sure if they will seek a patent or not, apparently there's quite a lot involved and as the FRCC is mostly run by volunteers and the membership is small there's just not a lot of time for extra paperwork. Linda B. is paid for a few hours each week but I know she contributes a lot more hours than she's paid for and she's already doing masses of paperwork just keeping track of the clematis in the Collection as well as looking after the display garden and all the clematis still in pots.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:14 pm 

OH, it's easy. There are companies that take care of everything for you including promotion. If the plants are worthy, they'll be interested. They pay the filing and patents fees, etc.
There's also voluntary royalty. In that case, you allow a nursery to propagate and sell the plants and they give you a royalty for each plant sold but the relationship is one of simple trust.
In the long run, the careful release of new plants associated with the FRCC will increase reputation and exposure, whether they are protected or not. That is, as long as they're good ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:33 am 

Thanks for the information Dan. If they are released by the FRCC they will be good ones. That's one of the pet peeves of many who belong to the FRCC, too many introductions that haven't been trialed enough and too many that look so much like clematis that have been on the market for years you can't tell one from another.