The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:31 am 

I have one that is a volunteer that turned out to be a problem plant for my area. It's aggresive, grows well without any care and has been mowed down many times, but once I realized it was a clematis, I protected it, thinking it was going to be a seedling from my neighbor's plants. Maybe it was, but it has a very small white flower, nothing like what they have. It puts out very long vines that rooted wherever they touched the ground, so I have a mess now. Would a thick layer of newspapers and mulch be enough to kill it? some of it I can dig out, but not all of it due to other plants in the area.
Thanks!

Forgot to mention that herbicides would be my last choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:59 pm 

are you sure it's a clematis?? can you post a pic of it?? or, at least describe the leaves?

the only clematis i can think of that could be considered aggressive or invasive is c. virginiana.

other than pulling it up and making sure to get as much of the roots as possible, i can't say just what would work to irradicate it. i really don't like to use chemicals unless i have to (exceptions to that are poison ivy and thistle and japenese beetles and black spot).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:35 am 

Luv2garden, the plant is either clematis terniflora or clematis vitalba. Both of these plants are extremely invasive via seeds and I read somewhere that vitalba was becoming a real problem in your neck of the woods. Clematis virginiana is not nearly as invasive since each plant has only either male or female reproductive parts and therefore you need two plants of opposite sexes to get any seeds.

You can continue trying to pull the plant up but if it were me, I would paint the affected vines with Roundup or something similar. Since it roots at the nodes, you might have to repeat the application several times during the growing season to kill it eventually. A stronger version of say a brush and weed killer might do the job better than Roundup if it has really insulated itself in its position.

Miguel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:35 am 

Luv2garden, the plant is most likely either clematis terniflora or clematis vitalba. Both of these plants are extremely invasive via seeds and I read somewhere that vitalba was becoming a real problem in your neck of the woods. Clematis virginiana is not nearly as invasive since each plant has only either male or female reproductive parts and therefore you need two plants of opposite sexes to get any seeds.

You can continue trying to pull the plant up but if it were me, I would paint the affected vines with Roundup or something similar. Since it roots at the nodes, you might have to repeat the application several times during the growing season to kill it eventually. A stronger version of say a brush and weed killer might do the job better than Roundup if it has really insulated itself in its position.

Miguel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:04 pm 

Joclyn, yes, I'm sure it's a clematis. It's amazing how quickly it takes over an area.

Thanks Miguel. I guess for now I'll cut it back hard and put some cardboard and a thick layer of mulch over it for the winter and see if that will keep it from growing next spring. I'll apply more mulch then if it starts coming through.

I also found the dreaded bindweed in my garden this year, so I'll be mulching that area well too. I had that in a former house and it's a tough one to get rid of once it gets started. I never did eradicate it completely. Here it has a lot more room to take over, so I need to go after it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:09 pm 

i did some research and i agree with miguel that you should put some round up on the stems.

and then continue pulling up anything that survives that treatment. i wouldn't let any of it grow too much next spring - start pulling it up as soon as you see growth and try to dig up the roots, too.

good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:19 pm 

Thanks again. Some of it I can't dig up because it's right next to a rose or shrubs. I don't know how many years it was mowed down before I realized what it was and asked my neighbor if he could mow around it. Not too smart!!:shock: I didn't know there was an invasive one here. Now he can mow that part again and I'll take care of what rooted on my side. There are a few I can dig up now won't affect another plant.

I have painted persistent weeds with roundup before, so I may do that if they come through the mulch next year. I'll mention it to my neighbor again too, who has another one on his property.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:05 pm 

I found a picture if it help any.
"Old Man's Beard
Clematis vitalba
This Class C noxious weed is common in western Washington; control in King County is not required, but strongly recommended."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:31 am 

That looks like it. I've been pulling it up lately. It sure is an aggressive one and takes over a large area. It started on my neighbor's side and they don't want any chemicals used, which I can understand since I hardly use them, so I may throw some black plastic over it on their side and leave it for a year or more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:25 pm 

could also likely be a clematis ligusticafolia which is an invasive species in western north america that spreads easily by seed with a less than spectacular white flower. i am sure you can kill it if you keep at it with pulling vines out, and non porous plastic under rock right over the top. keep an eye out for seedlings to pull up as they sprout if you have ever left seedheads on the clem as they can take a year or two even to germinate.

Attachments:
IMG_1267.jpg
IMG_1267.jpg [ 90.08 KiB | Viewed 2376 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:37 pm 

I will be watching for seedlings. I cut the main part back in August and sprayed the remainder with roundup, something I don't like to do, but this plant is persistent. Now I need to hunt up the base of the others that started from the original vines taking root wherever they were in contact with the soil. I had already planned on putting black plastic over those.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:39 pm 

Drat, I just found another one today that has probably been there a couple of years. I didn't notice it before because its leaves look so similar to our native blackberries, which are growing in the same area, along with several other native plants. It just crept along the ground and stems rooted in several areas along each vine. It's a survivor. I pulled it all up and got to some of those stems that had rooted just in time, so they were easy to pull up with all the roots. It's growing right next to our road and walk right by it frequently.