The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:39 pm 

As much as I love the bicolor, self -contrasting flowers of this cultivar, I'm disappointed there are no seed heads.
Anyone notice seeds forming on their 'Venosa Violacea'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:14 am 

I don't know, but I love the coloring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:31 pm 

Yes, mine has formed seeds before, open pollinated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:39 pm 

that's interesting, Mike. I've never had a lack of seeds on any Clematis except this and 'Betty Corning'. 'Venosa Violacea' will be moved where it will climb a shrub. The wattle fence section is near the driveway and sidewalk where I'd like more than one season of interest. Replacing it with one of the viorna group species or hybrids seems a good option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:06 pm 

I've gotten seeds on Betty Corning as well. I do have a large number of clematis and pollinators, and it's been postulated that BC doesn't produce pollen, so perhaps VV and BC were pollinated by other clematis via bees in my garden.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:11 pm 

I don't get many seeds on V V, but am watching about a dozen open pollinated ones at the moment. A few seed on my Betty Corning as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:53 am 

unfortunately my VV as pruned substantially in july. but might bloom again, growing vigorously.
(surprise on that!)

i do have betty corning seeds this year. did not harvest them last night as they are greenish and not completely free from the seedhead, but there are viable ones forming and i will be collecting them.

yesterday collected entel, pamela, kakio, alba luxurians,, m le coutre, jackmanii superba,viola, piilu, dominika.juuli, kermesina,the president and perle de azure to name most of them. didn't even get to all the garden areas before i ran out of envelopes and stopped. will be backout today, but some need a couple more weeks on the "head" so to speak. the largest, fattest ones are alba luxurians and m. le coultre..they are huge. the two plants grow together so maybe they will be super pollinated!

joan, mike, can any or all of these be germinated? entel is one of my fav clems so i am hoping those can be. i also have pink confetti out there with huge ones, just didn't get to them yet. guess all the bees this year were working hard as i swatted and cursed them!
can't resist posting a picture of entel to go with this post. summer memory now!

Attachments:
IMG_0973.JPG
IMG_0973.JPG [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 762 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:58 am 

I've only grown clematis from seed for about 4 years, and my supply has been limited. I've had some garden buddies share some of their seeds, which allowed me to try a variety, but I'm sure you should be able to get at least some of each to germinate, if you have patience. Good luck. You have a great variety to try.

Joan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:41 pm 

i am amazed at how these were in front of my face and me not being aware of it for so many years. guess it is a combo of my pruning addiction and keeping the plants neat and just being duuuhh, not aware.

now, a daily treat looking for plump , viable seeds to collect!

next year will be saving a few vines on plants when i prune mid season to harvest later. i cut many away this year, oh well.

here is my prince charles and etoile rose, which was hard pruned mid july. so no seed heads form prince charles i guess, tho it may bloom again, is growing vigorously.

Attachments:
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0899.JPG [ 1.84 MiB | Viewed 762 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:40 pm 

Your PC is gorgeous. I planted one a couple of years ago, and I find mine to be more on the mauvy color...wish it were more blue. I have lots of seeds on him, but they are still fairly green. If they ripen enough before the frost gets to them, I could send you some if you'd like.

Joan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:56 pm 

joan, that would be great. we can trade. i will post here a list of mine as i get them in. one question i have, if the seeds are viable and still greenish, but they fall into my hand when i touch the seedhead with little to no pressure, are they ok to harvest? or must i leave them on till they are really brown? i brought in a good number today that were not dark brown as i felt the birds might get them or i might miss them if the wind and rain kicked up.
hoping the standard of them coming right off the head is ok.
those that are greenish i am leaving in a very open paper envelope as i am assuming they need to dry out a little?

thanks for your help and inspiration. much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:15 pm 

The ones that people sent me were mostly brown, but because my season is very short, my type III's may not get that stage. I've read that people have had luck with them if they start turning, kinda yellow before the turn brown. I have have to pick mine earlier too before frost. I'll let you know what I have available too. Trading is fun.

Joan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:37 am 

ok , good info. some of the earlier flowered clem seeds i am picking are deep brown. some of the vitacellas have a tinge of yellow. i am afraid to leave them on too long and lose them.
i am going to post my list of seeds later today after i do some more harvesting.
appreciate your clemship and help joan and hope i have some seeds of interest to you.
here is a picture of my hotaka (same as hodaka). no seeds on this clem due to my trusty nippers and the fact it is a young plant that i wanted to trim immediately after ti bloomed this year.
this clem is a knock out in the garden, a real show stopper!

Attachments:
IMG_1013.JPG
IMG_1013.JPG [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 759 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:26 pm 

That is a real pretty one. I had never heard of this one, so went to look up more detail on it at Clematis on the Web, and the pics of it there is totally different than yours, although the description says purple.

I'm trying to stick more to type 3's, because if the stems get broken down with ice/snow in winter, I won't lose my Spring flowers. I had a lot of my clems chewed off last winter by what I am guessing chipmunks, so some type II's didn't flower this year, or flowered later. I have Dawn, type 2, that puts on a beautiful show each year. It's my first to flower. You can barely see any foliage there's so many flowers. The seeds on the earlier flowering ones like this are brown and ripe now. Let me know if you'd like some of these, or if you already have this one.

Attachments:
Dawn 10-06-09.jpg
Dawn 10-06-09.jpg [ 88.69 KiB | Viewed 1045 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:09 am 

oooh, dawn is a beauty. another one for my wish list. guernsey cream is my earliest bloomer. that dawn is lovely. really pretty.
already thinking of next spring!