The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Vyvyan Pennell
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:12 am 

Vyvyan Pennell is the first clematis I ever planted. It was planted here in 2000 and every year puts on a fabulous show. It does, however, have a tendency to try to leaf out in the January thaw! As a result, for several years it got winterkilled back to about 30-36" and, for the past several years, seems to have given up trying to climb! So I've ended up with a short, densely flowering clematis that looks like a spill of lavender-blue at the end of my front porch. It's beautiful though and always generates lots of comments from passers-by. It's just stating to drop its tepals today so one of the highlights of summer is passing...

Here is what it looked like a few days ago:

I wish it would climb again - and learn to not try to leaf out in January! - so it could provide the same spill of color all the way up the 8' or so of lattice. I think it would look like a waterfall... Does anyone have pictures of a VP in full blomm and the proper size?!

http://woodyoak.thegardenjournals.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:32 am 

It looks very nice even if it doesn't climb. Do you have room for another one in that area to climb the lattice? It looks like you might to the right of it.

What do you have growing in the pots with the trellises? That area looks nice. My mom has a neighbor with a large driveway and she has potted plants all over it, along with seating, fountains, and garden art. It's so pleasant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:40 am 

Unfortunately, there isn't any room to plant anything else there. The area to the right is filled with the rodgersia you can see in the clematis picture, and euonymus:

The bed across the front porch is only about 12-14" wide as the driveway comes right up to the porch. It's surprising really that anything will grow there at all as the soil is very poor, it's under the roof overhang so is fairly shaded and dry, plus there is lots of reflected heat from the driveway, with salt in the winter!

The pots with the wigwams are peas. The backyard here is almost completely in shade so there's no room there for a vegetable garden. All the edible things are in pots on the driveway, in the herb bed (that's culinary sage that is blooming with the tall spikes) or tucked into the front flower beds. There are about 16 big pots on the driveway - 6 pots of peas (each pot has a variety with a different maturity so I get a succession of crops...); 5 pots of highbush blueberries with lettuce as a 'groundcover' around the base of the blueberries; 4 big pots of strawberries that are currently producing about a pint a day; and a pot of garlic. The blueberry and strawberry pots spend the winter in the unheated garage. There are cherry tomatoes in the herb bed and DH has put garlic in any place he can tuck it into in the flowerbeds.

http://woodyoak.thegardenjournals.org/