The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Alpina Helsingborg
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:01 pm 

Hello all,
I bought 2 Alpina Helsingborg about 3 yrs ago. One is trained up the side of our 70 ft. cottonwood which has a high canopy, so the clematis gets very bright diffused light 1/2 the time, full sun the other 1/2. The other one is trained on a wire fence that gets full sun around 6 hrs a day. They both are growing vigorously, but I have yet to get any flowers. I tried a bloom booster only for one year, nothing. The next year I tried a combination of a basic veg. garden + bloom booster every other feeding. nothing. I see that this is a early bloomer. Our spring here in Wisconsin can come kind of late. The vines don't really get up and going until May. Are we just missing the bloom time/daylight requirements? Anyone who has some thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Brenda :?: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:11 pm 

Brenda, that is really perplexing. I grew some alpinas from seed and had flowers the second year after germination. It certainly doesn't sound like lack of sunlight. Not sure why you would be fertilizing so much. I generally use some sort of timed release fertilizer and do it in early spring and that is it. It could be that you are applying too much nitrogen and that makes the plants grow vines and few flowers. Try cutting way back on your fertilization and see if that helps.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that perhaps your winters are so severe that the buds get frozen off but the alpinas are generally a very cold tolerant variety and this shouldn't be the issue.

Perhaps Mara or someone growing the alpinas in a colder environment can offer further suggestions.

Miguel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:55 pm 

Are you pruning them over the winter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:24 am 

It's not as cold here as in Wisconsin, but I believe alpinas and macropetalas are almost infinitely hardy. I can't add anything to Miguel's and Dan's suggestions. I have alpinas growing with almost no direct sun and even they flower reliably. I also feed them the way Miguel does: slow release rose fertilizer in spring and that's that.

Post subject: Alpina Helsingborg
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:51 am 

I haven't pruned them at all yet, I was working on getting them established on the fence and the tree. (this year they're about 7ft up the tree, if I add netting higher up I think they'd keep going another 2-3 ft) I don't fertilize very much, I use the Shultz or miracle grow stuff you mix with water, and then only once or twice a month. Does this clematis set buds in the fall? The vine on the tree faces south, do you think it may be that the buds get dehydrated/sun/wind burned?
Although that still wouldn't explain why the vine on the fence, which is pretty sheltered from wind wouldn't flower.....
I haven't fertilized yet this spring, they were growing so well and I was determined to figure out what I've been doing wrong..I'll try the slow release Rose food this year.
-Brenda-Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:57 am 

Well you got me stumped. The things should be blooming for you. The only thing I can suggest is minimize the feeding, keep them well watered since one of the plants is growing up one big tree, and see if in time they flower.

This clematis sets buds on older wood but they are alpine plants and should be well suited to growing in your climate.

Miguel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:51 am 

OK, it's good that you're not pruning them. Yes, they set buds the year before. Maybe they're not an alpina. The foliage of many clematis look like that. Mixups can happen in the nursery and garden center. (Here I am cringing, hoping you won't say they came from Brushwood!)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:52 am 

I guess I know why I never saw any blue, bell shaped blooms! These are not very big or noticeable from a distance. Does anyone know what this clematis is? It has no fragrance, the blossoms(though prolific) are smaller than apple blossoms and they are white. It looks like there WAS some mix up at the nursery. It isn't the first time I bought something from this vendor and it turned out to be a different color than the tag said it would be. I won't be buying from them any more.(No Dan, it wasn't Brushwood:)

P.S. would anyone like to trade one of these for a helsingborg?

Brenda Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:49 am 

I have one similar to that, which is a volunteer. I'm in the process of tearing it out, because it has taken over the roses and shrubs in that area and I don't want to cause it to seed elsewhere since it's so invasive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:50 am 

Maybe Paul Farges. It's a nice plant. I grew one out for the first time this year and I'm really pleased with it. It's covering some greenhouse panels I have stashed for later construction. Plenty of steady bloom power! Doesn't appear to set seed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:41 pm 

Hmm, a volunteer seedling in the PNW... I hope it wasn't Clematis vitalba. I've heard that one is taking over much like Hedera helix.

Post subject: clematis virginiana?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:28 am 

I was browsing the Brushwood site and found this clematis under the small flowered ones. it sure looks like my mystery vine. Only difference is, mine really has no scent...

BrendaImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:41 am 

Dan, I'm afraid it might be after looking it up. Thanks for the warning! it's right on the property line and my neighbor has another one elsewhere on his property, so I better inform him of it's invasiveness before they set seed. They compare it to English Ivy here, but after reading about it, I'll take the ivy! I know what I'll be doing today.

Brenda, thanks for unintentionally bringing this to my attention. I hope yours is something tamer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:33 pm 

Brenda,
Do they have 4 or 6 tepals (petals)? Seems a bit early for virginiana (4 tepals). That's why I guessed Paul Farges.

Post subject: Re: Alpina Helsingborg
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:14 pm 

looks like paul farges to me too. and it will not set seed. long bloom period. dan, i think i bought mine from brushwood YEARS ago! when we were both young!